Why I can't stand most hunting videos

8/20/14 @ 10:32 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Scott2
Scott2
USER since 7/7/01
I will precede the title of my thread with this, after every deer shot in a vast majority of hunting videos, they never get the shakes. I don't know if I'm alone in this, which I know I'm not, but I get the shakes big time after I take any deer with the bow. In almost every hunting video I've seen, they almost immediately look at the camera and start talking about how awesome the hunt was. It makes no sense to me as I can't even speak after I kill a deer, it's a close passionate experience that I can't share with anyone. I would absolutely hate to share that experience with a bunch of unknowns. I may be a bit different than the normal hunter, but it just seems disingenuous to me the way the tv folks portray hunting to the nonhunting public. I just feel like it's a personal experience that can't nor should be shared with anyone unless the true portrayal of emotions is shown. If that isn't shown, the portrayal to the public is entirely wrong. It makes all of us look like killers with no remorse or emotion.
Edited on 8/20/14 10:51 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
8/30/14 @ 4:49 AM
herbicidal maniac
herbicidal maniac
USER since 6/10/09
hunting videos? remember the days when you could knock on a farmers door and get permission to hunt? now it will cost you big money to hunt same place. guess where that originats from? when did hunting become a competition? same goes for fishing tournament shows. now ya gotta have all this technology and gear to go fishing. Really? guess how much your big buck that you basiclly bought impresses me? or your big ass walleye boat that just bout ran my kayak over? i wont even watch this crap. it is going to make our country like europe where only the rich can have any decent outdoor recreation. isnt technology great?

Post Your Comment
8/29/14 @ 11:06 PM
Scott2
Scott2
USER since 7/7/01
I agree lakeshiner, I would rather see a legitimate hunting video shot with a 1980's vhs camcorder than a high def video shot on a 2000 acre QDM farm where passing up 130" deer is the norm. I guess my initial point was to say that it bothers me that people that may not hunt see these shows and don't comprehend the range of emotions that most hunters go through after killing a deer. What they see is basically guys talking themselves up (in some cases) with little to no emotion.

Post Your Comment
8/27/14 @ 10:06 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I'd rather see the forkhorn than watch a guy talking about shooting a #1 (the biggest buck on the game farm). Saw that last weekend. Better than a soap opera I guess.

Post Your Comment
8/27/14 @ 9:33 AM
lookn' 4 PnY
lookn' 4 PnY
USER since 7/15/05
I think some of you are reading way too much into this. These guys have killed many big mature bucks before. Everyone handles their excitement differently. I personally am more excited before the shot than after, and even that is getting under control. Just because a guy on camera is not crying or screaming does not mean he is not grateful for his successful hunt. It may be 2 hours later or the next day when he gives the hero interview you are seeing. They shoot many hours of B-role to fill in the gaps. It is TV and in order to keep a captive audience these shows need great footage with multiple angles. The videographer is becoming more important than hunter. The vast majority of these guys hunt with outfitters for free ranging deer, it is very evident the hunts taking place on preserves. Most guys tell you where they are hunting at the beginning of the show so I guess at that point you can turn it off if it is not your cup of tea. If you are waiting for a show that depicts a hunter going out on crappy public land and shooting a forkhorn, you will be waiting for a while.

Post Your Comment
8/27/14 @ 7:27 AM
Musky99
Musky99
USER since 8/8/11
The videos I like best are from 'the Benoits'. I believe its all public in the big woods.

Post Your Comment
8/27/14 @ 6:41 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I don't care about that so much, what gets old to me is the giant deer on game farms. My favorite video is Down for the Count. Its old, I have it on VHS. In that they are shooting does, spikers, forks, and a few big bucks. But its all realistic hunting, not on game farms. Some awesome footage too like a pass through on a buck from the opposite side, while on the ground.

I bring that up because one of the guys in the video is Bob Foulkrod. He's younger and is all excited about even the small bucks, genuinely excited. I just saw a more recent show he did and he was just complaining about people shooting small bucks and all this crap. He completely changed, I'm sure its the money and the industry that did it. I just turned it off, like he forgot where he came from.

Post Your Comment
8/26/14 @ 11:29 AM
ole 870
ole 870
USER since 6/27/01
It's not just with deer hunts, but with bear, moose, elk, turkey and everything in between. Who the heck shoots an animal and is more concerned about turning towards the camera, pumping their fists and screaming at the top of their lungs, instead of watching and listening quietly for every last telltale sign of where the animal is headed and what it is doing. These guys are clowns, and I do mean clowns, unfortunately it looks like that's the direction the video industry has gone. Hard to watch, but then again, half this crap is staged on game farms or whatnot and isn't real hunting anyway. So these video wannabe movie stars that have "expert or professional" hunters in their title description can do you know what with that title.

Post Your Comment
8/26/14 @ 7:46 AM
Musky99
Musky99
USER since 8/8/11
I think its because they do it week after week. They see trophy after trophy deer.

Also, I believe many of these shows are on deer farms or preserves, so its not like they really have to hunt.

They have become deer shooters NOT hunters.

Post Your Comment
8/20/14 @ 11:08 PM
brews4995
brews4995
USER since 4/2/10
I am usually shaking before I shoot a deer. After I am focused solely on watching the deer and where it goes until it is out of sight. Then I am intently listening for any sound that might help with the recovery of the deer. Then I sit down for a few minutes to regain my composure and then very carefully get down from my stand. Last thing I want to do is fall out of the tree from being over hyped. Then I go and look for the arrow and where the deer was standing for any sign of a hit. The reactions of many of these guys is disgusting to me, high fiving the camera guys. The fact that I get nervous and shaky when a nice buck comes in range is why I hunt in the first place. When that feeling goes away, I will quit hunting.

Post Your Comment
8/20/14 @ 3:40 PM
huntfish
huntfish
USER since 6/16/03
I could see how having access to primo land, guided to "the spot" and just wait for the big boy to show up can lose its enthusiasm. While not all the shows are like that, I do see a good amount as the OP stated. Cant say I dont envy that type of hunting though as a job...! Me, I get excited about every deer I shoot with whatever weapon or just letting them pass.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts