Who all's dumping their compound for a crossbow?

12/12/13 @ 11:44 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Lake Perched
Lake Perched
USER since 3/20/13
With crossbows being legal for everybody next fall who all is going to make the switch? http://www.postcrescent.com/viewart/20131212/APC010401/312120272/Walker-signs-bill-creating-new-crossbow-season
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 446 Posts
9/23/16 @ 7:24 PM
rePLOW
rePLOW
USER since 4/26/13

I sprinkle corn on my apple trees while burning pictures of crossbows

Post Your Comment
9/20/16 @ 11:21 AM
lookn' 4 PnY
lookn' 4 PnY
USER since 7/15/05

Bugle, my 11 yr old daughter still shoots a crossbow, do you?  It's been a couple years so I was just wondering.  If I wanted to make it much easier I would switch to a crossbow but that is not why I hunt.  I understand why some guys, kids, and those with physical limitations do it, I am all for it, just not for me.

The food plot/bait argument is tired and worn out.  Yes some people bait and grow plots to attract deer to a specific area  in hopes to get a shot, but that is where the similarities end.

Post Your Comment
9/19/16 @ 6:26 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Ditto,  please don't take this as a personal slam,  but I hear people say all the time what you just posted.....and my only comment is that you officially made it known that you've never planted a food plot.  I wish it was as easy as JUST spending a day on a tractor.   You know guys I don't want to start an argument here but i've been on both sides.  When I baited i made it as easy and it could be.  I drove either an ATV or my firggen truck right to the stands.  I'm sure some people hoof the bait in and dump it,  but really....do you guys think that's tough?  The reality is baiting is illegal now due to CWD and the fact that deer are eating out of the same pile or area.   If food plots are done correctly they can be a great food source and cover for various animals.  I don't think it should even be a comparison cause they aren't in the same ball park.  If food plots were easy,  EVERYONE would do it.  Doesn't it make more sense to plant a sustaining food source?  I think so.  If you bait, I have nothing against you.  I just say that food plots aren't easy,  they aren't just sitting on a tractor.  I ran around more for seed and fertilizer and calling for lime and delivery etc than i ever did driving out a pickup bed full of apples.  Also,  one reason I'm fairly outspoken on this topic is there is a right way to do plots,  and a wrong way.  Trust me on this one,  I've been on the short end before,  i've had some pretty crappy plots in the past.  Live and learn.

Puddle,  I agree, land prices are out of control. 

Edited on 9/19/16 7:11 AM
Post Your Comment
9/18/16 @ 10:15 PM
Puddle scum
Puddle scum
USER since 8/5/15

Yeah it's not that I'm against food plots, but I'm not going to pony up 120k for a select cut 80 acre piece of land to use 6 weeks out of the year either. I don't mind hard work at all. Land is overpriced

Post Your Comment
9/18/16 @ 10:07 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10

Everyone always says food plots take so much more work than baiting.  Not to choose sides or even have an opinion on either one but taking a sack of bait out every couple days for a couple months seems like a lot more work than spending an afternoon on a tractor planting a food plot.

Post Your Comment
9/18/16 @ 6:13 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Well i wasn't going to say anything but since thats what you wanted.....i was going to play nice. I know of plenty private land corn piles.  I think  food plots are baiting but it takes more effort and its legal.  I plant food and will never bait again as i did it when i was young and shot anything. I prefer to kill deer moving to food that is planted rathet than continually dumping food.  I have nothing against bait piles and cameras that are checked daily, it just makes my land better because they pressure the piss out of theirs.

Not sure how dumping compounds turned into baitimg vs food plots but i can roll w it

Edited on 9/18/16 6:14 PM
Post Your Comment
9/18/16 @ 6:10 PM
Puddle scum
Puddle scum
USER since 8/5/15

I agree with most of what you said, and of course there is private land baiting, but don't shame on those who bait on public land, because chances are they can not afford the money to BUY land to plant a food plot

Post Your Comment
9/18/16 @ 6:05 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Well i wasn't going to say anything but since thats what you wanted and i was going to play nice,. I know of plenty private land corn piles.  I think  food plots are baiting bit it takes more effort and its legal.  I plant food amd will neber bait again as i did it when i was young and shot anything. I prefer to kill deer moving to food that is planted rathet than continually dumping food.  I have nothing against bait piles and cameras that are chexked daily, it just makes my land better because they pressure the hell out of theirs.

Post Your Comment
9/18/16 @ 4:56 PM
Puddle scum
Puddle scum
USER since 8/5/15

Well said welder guy!

I agree 100% about those people calling out baiters when they plant food plots. Same thing in my world. They say baiters are lazy, but maybe they can't afford land costs to do a food plot. I'm not one to buy 5 acres of land either and play screw your neighbor either, which seems like the new thing up in the north part of the state. And most public land are not acorns either. I hunt popple fed deer, I could care less if you bait or have a food plot, but if you are lucky enough to own land and manage it, good for you! I bet most baiters hunt public land because they can't afford land to begin with

Post Your Comment
9/18/16 @ 7:52 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Had to stop back here and see if any of the self-congratulatory compound users that I had so much fun with here a couple of years ago would take the bait and comment.  Great to see you guys.  Best of luck in the woods this fall.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 446 Posts