When to Grunt or Rattle

10/18/15 @ 12:53 PM
ORIGINAL POST
beek
beek
USER since 10/13/01
Last night around 6pm a big 10 started slowly making its way through swamp grass towards me. When it got to about 60yds a few does and fawns crossed between us heading to hay field. The buck stopped and watched, moved in their direction, made a scrape and started making way along field edge. Never close enough for a shot. I considered a grunt or rattle but was worried about spooking him. Along those lines, I was covered with deer until well after dark. When/how do you get out? Two does blew me out several times as I got down.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
10/19/15 @ 6:24 AM
bueller
bueller
USER since 1/4/03
Yesterday morning I had a 6 pointer moving left to right through the woods nearly 100 yards in front of me. I gave a serious of grunt calls and he quickly turned 90 degrees to the right. When he got to about 35 yards from me he made another 90 degree right turn and passed right in front of my stand. No way that buck makes this "u-turn" if I stayed silent and watched him cruise to wherever he was originally headed.

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 6:16 AM
Bite_size_to a_bluegill
Bite_size_to a_bluegill
USER since 12/26/04
Ive had luck in past years right around Halloween rattling and grunting blindly. I had success with mostly younger bucks, but i have drawn in mature bucks a few times over the years. I normally dont get too aggressive until later in the rut. As far as seeing bucks prior too rattling or grunting i would not hesitate too throw a few grunt too draw them in. If the buck you saw was making or checking scrapes he was obviously marking is territory and if he heard a grunt he will be curious too see who is in his area and most likely investigate where the grunt is coming from. Ive also have drawn bucks in with the primos can call. As far as clearing the field after dark ill throw a few coyote yelps out. I havent noticed it ever effecting deer as far as them showing up. Imho if multiple deer eventually wind me they most likely will be more cautious the next time they come through

Post Your Comment
10/18/15 @ 6:50 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
When to grunt kind of depends on the deers mood. I do always let a few out 20 min before shooting time in the evening if I don't have any activity. That has worked more than once to bring a buck in that I had no clue was around...and with only 20 min left, you have nothing to lose.

Post Your Comment