When do you start using scent?

9/23/15 @ 7:26 PM
ORIGINAL POST
gooseslayer
gooseslayer
USER since 2/1/10
I was thinking about placing a magnum dripper with active scrape out on Friday then staying away from the area for a month. Then putting out golden scrape, thoughts? When do you start using scent?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
10/8/15 @ 12:20 PM
gooseslayer
gooseslayer
USER since 2/1/10
A whitetail's sense of smell is used for more than just detecting a potential threat. They use use it to help them determine which does are ready to be bred and let's be honest gentlemen if that only happened for one month a year we'd be jumping at any opportunity. I agree that you need to hunt where the deer are but it does you no good to hunt where they are with out a shot. I use scent to help shot them for the shot. HOPEFULLY I'll post some proof in a few weeks.

Post Your Comment
10/7/15 @ 3:29 PM
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
scents stay on the store shelf. hunt where the deer are and don't worry about scents. scents work sometimes, but more times than not don't. they are better for luring in younger deer than they are for older deer too.

Post Your Comment
10/6/15 @ 7:40 PM
SB Dad
SB Dad
USER since 8/16/09
Again,I I use what I use as a cover and have had good results with it with deer of all ages.Like anything else,nothing works all the time.What ever floats your boat! Smile

Post Your Comment
9/30/15 @ 2:09 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I've seen older does with bucks on their tail spook from it, taking the buck with them.

Post Your Comment
9/30/15 @ 12:41 PM
browning3
browning3
USER since 5/23/02
If you're after the dumbest deer in the woods, then scents work great. The 1.5 and 2.5 yr olds love the stuff.

Post Your Comment
9/28/15 @ 9:47 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14
I don't use scent because i'm never killed more than a 2 year old buck with it. People have dripper for camera pics, but I don't run cameras because I have two spots to hunt, I hunt 2 straight weeks in Oct and Nov. if they are there I'll see them and if not i'll see others that aren't resident. To me it's not worth running in and out of your spots to check cameras

Post Your Comment
9/28/15 @ 7:47 AM
SB Dad
SB Dad
USER since 8/16/09
I will use a little doe pee on my boots for a cover early and change to estrus for the rut.Works for me.The buck I shot this year stopped to smell my trail in and was not alarmed until the arrow went through him. Wink

Post Your Comment
9/27/15 @ 8:26 AM
gooseslayer
gooseslayer
USER since 2/1/10
I have multiple pieces scattered around. I a 160 acre piece in Midwestern Illinois that I only get to hunt 2 or 3 weekends a season. Then 2 80 acre pieces in Grant Co and a 25 acres in Kenosha Co that I only hunt when I go back to see my parents. Between all of those I run 9 cameras, but most of them I run on the 160 acres because I don't get there much.

For me it's not necessarily the size of the buck it's the story of the deer that makes the hunt. I enjoy targeting only mature deer and with the multiple properties I have yet to have a season that one of them doesn't hold a mature deer. I've eaten tag soup on many occasions and I'm fine with that.

The amount of people who are against the use of scent bewilders me. Maybe some of you who have negative feedback can fill me in but I have had some great success using it. On the 25 acres I hang a dripper and every year I get videos of bucks coming every day to work the mock scrape. Without the use of a mock scrape I use to only get bucks on camera every couple days as they passed through the area.

Post Your Comment
9/25/15 @ 9:49 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14
Goose, here is the REAL question. you ask about scent, now I ask you about camera's and land.....how much land do you have to hunt? do you have multiple pieces?

OK, so my answer to what you have to say is, for one, why do you need to know what kind of a crop you have? If you only have one piece to hunt, maybe two, your limited, very limited. So knowing that your hands are tied between one or two pieces, What are pictures or a list of shooters going to do for you besides something fun to send to your buddies.

I say screw the scent and screw the cameras. IF you are hanging that dripper in a pinch point, hunt that pinch point and you'll find out what is there. Most people get mind "effed" when they know of a big deer and do dumb things. Hunt smart, hunt like there is a giant there and you'll be fine. Call me an idiot, but that's how i see it.

I mean really, if you hang that dripper and have ZERO shooters, are you going to just stay home and pump farts into your sofa rather than hunt?

Post Your Comment
9/24/15 @ 10:36 PM
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
USER since 6/8/07
I agree. Leave the stink at home. I've scared away more deer with that snake oil. The most effective deer hunting techniques are usually the least profitable and un marketed. Also you don't really need camo except for turkey hunting. Lips Sealedx

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts