what lures to use during the rut

10/21/15 @ 5:47 AM
ORIGINAL POST
jiggin freak
jiggin freak
USER since 1/8/11
I'm thinking about using some lure this year for the rut. I'm not quit sure what to use. I have been watching the hunting channel and have been seeing Antler Ice lure. Has anyone used this or what has worked for guys?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts
10/25/15 @ 9:42 PM
Cory2
Cory2
USER since 7/16/10
I buy whatever is on sale to bring in the younger deer to assist my son in getting his deer. A 7 pt came in on a string tonight right to the spot I had the scent. If I were 12, I would have had at least 6 shots at this deer, he just wouldn't leave. As it stands, all I got is the picture. Once the big ones start moving, I don't use scent but a couple times depending...

The deer in my area are not pressured by a ton of hunters so the pee works IMO. Last year on Halloween night I had a very mature 8 come in on the trail I walked in on dragging a scent line. That guy was on a mission. Unfortunately I missed him. The 6 (I thought he was an 8 but didn't have brow tines) I shot in disgust in the am came in with no scent whatsoever, just set up on the main trails and waited. I put the arrow thru a hole in the brush about the size of a paper plate thru both lungs. I didn't see he didn't have brow tines until he was on the ground. Bummer, but it was real nice rack for being a 6.

Post Your Comment
10/25/15 @ 5:06 PM
greg2507
greg2507
USER since 1/13/13
Ordered a couple bottles from windy ridge whitetails on friday night. They were already half way through their doe-in-heat.

Post Your Comment
10/24/15 @ 8:58 PM
gooseslayer
gooseslayer
USER since 2/1/10
The address for it is 525 Old Highway Rd Mineral Point, WI 53565

Post Your Comment
10/23/15 @ 10:20 PM
stangl52
stangl52
USER since 6/23/06
Never heard of windy ridge and I live 5min from mineral point.....where is this place at? Might have to look them up.

Post Your Comment
10/23/15 @ 5:44 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07
Ive heard that corn piles work better than pixie dust.

Post Your Comment
10/23/15 @ 6:43 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14
back when I was a kid we used to hunt White River public. One day in Nov we went in there with like 5 guys. we used 5 bottles of Pete Richards super doe in heat. We had every little buck in the county running around with it's Dik hanging low. We ended up shooting 3 little bucks that day. Back then we felt like kings, but were really only 1 or two year old mangled up scrappers. Scent works, but I don't believe it brings in mature deer....in other states maybe. In wisconsin the 5 guys on all the 40 acre plots around you are rattling and grunting and have scent all over....I wonder why it doesn't work????

Post Your Comment
10/22/15 @ 7:47 AM
gooseslayer
gooseslayer
USER since 2/1/10
I've had great success with fresh doe-in-heat from Windy Ridge Whitetail. They start collecting tomorrow and holy cow is there a difference between that stuff and the stuff you buy from the store. It's a little bit more expense at $10 for a 2oz bottle plus $5 shipping, unless you happen to live close to Mineral Point.

Post Your Comment
10/22/15 @ 7:42 AM
gotacarp
gotacarp
USER since 2/2/10
Dare devil

Post Your Comment
10/22/15 @ 7:20 AM
beanthewalleyslayer
beanthewalleyslayer
USER since 1/18/10
Im with pike eyes, fire tiger if ya have it!

Post Your Comment
10/22/15 @ 3:04 AM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10
Jointed Rapala/ floating. slow retrieve with a twitch.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts