Waupaca county possible Antlerless only in 2016

3/28/16 @ 3:10 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Indyboot
Indyboot
USER since 10/23/12
What's everyones take on this? Not sure it would help but would certainly lead to some great bucks in 2017. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/controversial-antlerless-deer-regulation-takes-center-stage-in-waupaca-county-b99693466z1-373634331.html
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 105 Posts
4/29/16 @ 9:10 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14
Mad that's some good stuff. you are truly a wordsmith.

Post Your Comment
4/29/16 @ 8:25 AM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12
Scott2; Combining ignorance with arrogance... Can't imagine why landowners weren't falling all over themselves to grant permission allowing you to hunt on their property!

Post Your Comment
4/28/16 @ 5:28 PM
wiredneck1
wiredneck1
USER since 3/4/11
scott, Were you at the meeting or are you just talking out of your rear end without the proper info? the dnr stated at the meeting that the waupaca county cdac board was the only board with big enough balls to recommend the doe only season, but there were a minimum of 8 counties that the cdac boards could have easily made the same recommendation. He did fail to specify what counties they were but I'm sure we can all figure out fairly easily which ones they were. I believe most, if not all of the counties that you hunt were part of those 8 that he was referring to. So Scott i ask you this, did you fill all your doe tags last year? did you buy more doe tags at the $12 premium? did you shoot a minimum of 6 does last year? If you did not then you are part of the problem in the dnrs eyes also, why? because at the meeting they stated for every buck you shoot in these counties you should be shooting a minimum of 3 does per buck and i know your a good enough hunter to have shot a buck with the bow and a buck with the muzzleloader.

Scott, you say you hunt public almost exclusively? why was your(and your friends) picture floating around Facebook a few years ago accusing you of trespassing and stealing stands off other peoples property?

Post Your Comment
4/28/16 @ 6:05 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14
I consider myself a redneck...but i didn't comment on his comment...I don't care. I'm proud to be a avid fisherman and hunter and would pick a little country town over the city any day. I"m a city redneck i guess you could say.

I just don't say dem, dare, and dat...

I hunt Marquette, we left a 40 acre corn field up and it was smoked before the middle of january. the deer where there by the dozens and as fast as they all were there, they were gone to the next standing corn over 2.5 miles away. That field was close to a 100 acres, we saw min of 50 a night there and that was just from the road.

the deer move so I'm assuming the DNR has this knowledge. id think their numbers are not from the winter. if they are then we all have to worry about crooked inflated numbers.

I've hunted other midwestern states, their doe numbers are out of control. I don't understand why WI wants everyone to think we are in the same boat. I very rarely see double digit doe during bow on one night. Other states i'll see 40 by 7AM the first day.

A few years back, I hunted Illinois for 3 days, 5 sits, I saw 117 (some could have been the same i'm sure) deer in 5 sits until I killed a buck. I haven't seen 117 deer in WI in the last 2 seasons. I"m sure some will say they haven't seen 117 deer in 30 years of hunting WI. 75% of those deer were doe

Post Your Comment
4/27/16 @ 2:20 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Thats if its actually turned under before spring. If it's standing corn, or even just cut corn, or alfalfa deer will use it all year for food. And although they may not be physically standing in the middle of a field in february, the benefits they received from it nutrition wise all summer and fall, help them get ready for winter.

Post Your Comment
4/27/16 @ 2:01 PM
wiscwhip
wiscwhip
USER since 3/25/16
Curious, not sure why you would think that, you said yourself that the entire field is useless come December, and that would hold true until the corn was tall enough to shelter the deer from sight(likely July). So for 7 months of the year that field is completely useless as deer habitat other than they might wander out there in complete darkness to look for waste grains, but that still doesn't make it "habitat". The DNR actually still gives the deer and their field usage the 100m around the wooded edge, which I think is the right thing in most all instances.

Post Your Comment
4/27/16 @ 1:53 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Gotcha. I understand the open water and cities...but, at least in my opinion, the entire field should counted.

Post Your Comment
4/27/16 @ 1:44 PM
wiscwhip
wiscwhip
USER since 3/25/16
The way it works is that only 100 meters of any field edge is "counted" as deer habitat. So if you have areas of giant 160 acre fields, only the edges within 100m of the nearest woods over 10 acres are considered deer habitat in WI. The "middles" of large fields do not count, nor do cities or open bodies of water.

Post Your Comment
4/27/16 @ 1:41 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Thank you for posting the deer range info. If I'm reading that correctly, a field must be within 100m of a good size chunk of a woods to be counted as deer range? I also looked into waupaca cty deer range, an only 62% of the county is considered deer range...which I found surprising.

Post Your Comment
4/27/16 @ 12:35 PM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12
No worries. Lake Linkers have a long history of trashing private landowners. We're used to it.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 105 Posts