Two finger hinge releases

1/8/15 @ 9:30 PM
ORIGINAL POST
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Anyone use them. recommendations? Availability? I have a messed up RH "ring" finger and I've devoted this winter to learning BT using a Carter Only release. It was the best fit of several I tried but it's still not the best fit due to the funky ring finger. At some point I'll probably ask on AT but often there's too much information when a simple question is asked. It's a great resource but I prefer the smaller forum here on LL. Anyone? Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
2/6/15 @ 9:25 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I think I'll go down and talk to him about it. Thanks.

I'll call first.

BK3 is a 37 mile round trip for me. It's where I bought my Longhorn even though I knew I could get it far cheaper online.

Of course,I bought the second one off ebay. I didn't want to pay top-dollar if I was going to cut it. I could have ruined it and didn't want a $139 screw up.

Post Your Comment
2/6/15 @ 4:29 PM
rePLOW
rePLOW
USER since 4/26/13
I actually did the same thing when I was working on converting to BT during leagues. Near the end of the season I started using the hinge for leagues and my scores dropped a bit but I knew it was because j was struggling with my hover and my routine. Now I can put the bow away for a couple months and get right back to punching 12s. I even hunt with mine which is odd to a lot of shooters but it works for me. Best advice I got was from Bob down at BKIII. 2 hour drive but he corrected my mistakes and really helped a ton.

Post Your Comment
2/6/15 @ 8:17 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Thanks,Plow..

Unfortunately I got sucked into shooting leagues. Subbing for a guy who fell from a treestand...so one day a week I shoot for score with a trigger and 6 days a week I shoot for form with hinge...

I'm might be getting it. I'll leave the keyboard and blank bale for 1/2 hour...

I didn't like the Stan Onyx 2 finger release.

I found another (older) Longhorn 4 (ebay) and cut the last finger "hook" off. It's now a Longhorn 3 but slightly different...I think that might be the one I use most...

I knew I shouldn't have agreed to shooting leagues and initially said no. And said "NO" again...and again...It's messing me up a bit...But possibly in the long run my shooting may be better off for it. Maybe...But at least I might have lost a couple bad habits. I'm shooting better than ever with the trigger....I know - bad habits never completely go away,they just hide for a while.

Post Your Comment
2/6/15 @ 1:15 AM
rePLOW
rePLOW
USER since 4/26/13
Been shooting a brass Scott Longhorn for a few years now. I liked the contour of the fingers since they seem to sweep back more vs a carter that's more flat. Just a comfort thing from person to person. Biggest thing when learning to shoot with BT is consistency. Blank bale until you can't take another shot and then put your sight in and gradually work on shooting a little further each week. Really focus on your form and they to spot bad habits. Mine biggest struggle to this day is getting excited and pulling the shot rather than squeezing till it breaks. When I pull the release and force the shot I got way left. Its easy to spot. Commit to an anchor and just pound the bale for a month. You'll get it

Post Your Comment
1/13/15 @ 8:11 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Thanks Philip

I bought a Longhorn 4. The bad ring finger doesn't interfere. it did on several other 4 finger releases I tried... I have found that as I tighten my back muscles my pinky finger gets more pressure than the other fingers. Not sure how consistent that's going to be.

Also ordered a Stan Onyx 2 from Lancaster. Haven't tried it yet. I've been told I won't like it

I'm just getting started. Goal was to start "after regular bow season".. It took a few days to et an adequate basement shooting area together,try different releases,etc

I've been reading Larry Wise's book 'Core Archery'. I can read about 10 pages at a time before falling asleep but I go over and over those 10 pages before I do.... I was also going to be working with a guy but that didn't last long. He was trying to teach me to release by "hand manipulation" not BT.....It works for him but probably not the best method. lol.

My sight's off the bow I've been using most. I think my draw length has increased so I'm now pulling back INTO the wall. I'm not sure f I'm comfortable with my "new" anchor point(s). Two different ones. I'm not sure which I prefer...

One is to rotate the hand so the space between the index and middle finger knuckles rests in that little divot in the back of the jaw. The other one has my index knuckle contacting the side of my jaw below and slightly in front of my ear lobe. it's not an exactly definable spot but it feels better....but it's also farther "into the wall"/back farther from the other anchor point. I'm pulling harder to stay there.

Anyway,it helps just to write down about the anchor points. I have to think and positively identify in my head what I've been doing...

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 10:01 PM
stillhunter
stillhunter
USER since 8/11/01
I shoot indoor leagues and 5 spot tournaments with my back tension .I will not hunt with one but I sure love it for target. It must be hard with a bad ring finger for I use my ring finger to apply pressure while applying back tension. I use tru balls for they sponsor me for target. The carters are really nice also.Another thing you can try is get your self a really nice thumb release and set it really light if you wrap your thumb around the trigger at ancor and go thru the back tension motions it will fire just like a hinge, your thumb nerves will apply during back tension. That's how I taught myself to use a hinge. If you have any other questions I would gladly help the best I can Im not as good as half these guys on here but will gladly add my imput good luck Philip

Post Your Comment