Tree stands left on public

1/21/16 @ 4:11 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Ratoney
Ratoney
USER since 12/11/09
Just curious others thoughts on this subject. Anyone feel that the right thing to do is remove the trash from our public hunting grounds this time of year? Of course this trash pick-up would include illegaly placed tree stands/ ground blinds. I personally live by the old rule, "Pack it in, pack it out." but it doesn't seem like some do. Ratoney
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 41 Posts
6/27/16 @ 4:32 AM
Summers Off
Summers Off
USER since 5/9/06
I have stands that I have put on public land than have been there for 10-12 years.  I change the straps or chains once a year.  If I ever get to a stand and someone is in it (has happened twice in 26 years) I turn and walk away.  Kind of like a duck blind. First come first serve.  

Post Your Comment
5/10/16 @ 9:15 AM
browning3
browning3
USER since 5/23/02

I've pulled illegal stands and screw ins out of trees more than a few times.  However, I leave them at the base of the tree with a note. Basically, I tell them how I did the work of pulling it for them and all they need to do is carry it out.  I also note that if they refuse to follow the rules that I will be informing the warden.  Probably saved a few lives pulling some of those screw in steps out of the trees.  

Post Your Comment
5/6/16 @ 8:02 AM
Ratoney
Ratoney
USER since 12/11/09

Swampy is probably right.  Let the wardens take care of it.  

Still, it's unfortunate that so many POS leave stands on public ground illegally, trying to make public ground theirs.  I used to keep a distance out of respect but not anymore.  These dicks are not sportsmen.  Sportsmen follow the rules set down by the DNR.  

Another reason to not leave stands out year round (public or private)is porkies and squirrels chewing on the straps.  Had a friend that fell out of a stand while climbing into his stand because of a chewed strap. Messed him up pretty good.  

Ratoney

Post Your Comment
5/5/16 @ 8:46 AM
Swampman
Swampman
USER since 7/23/01

I use to work with a guy that would steal stands and justify it by saying, they are illegal and it was his duty to remove them. He would actually brag about how many stands he acquired.

I told the POS he should report it and let the proper authorities deal with it and that stealing is stealing no matter how you attempt to justify it.

By all means, report it to the proper authorities and let them do their job.If you steal them, and taking them without permission is stealing, you are no better then they are.

Edited on 5/5/16 8:47 AM
Post Your Comment
2/11/16 @ 10:58 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Sit in one of those old stands,LS....and watch all but fawns and (maybe) yearlings walk a wide arc to avoid it.

I know a couple that are grown in to the tree.ive sat them when I got out late...and realized that probably everyone who hunts the area has sat there a time or two.

The deer know it too.

Post Your Comment
2/11/16 @ 10:52 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I know of one stand that no one hunts anymore in the national forest by my place. I actually like it, I think of it as a decoy stand because it keeps others away from me LOL.

Post Your Comment
2/11/16 @ 10:09 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Where I hunt in the national forest I find metal ladder stands there year-round. Kind of irritating but not a big deal. One of the guys was being a jerk to my neighbor and my neighbor found all his ladder stands, took GPS coordinates and pictures then sent this to the warden. Warden confiscated 4 tree stands in one day.

Post Your Comment
2/11/16 @ 9:51 AM
Buckskin
Buckskin
USER since 5/19/04
You can't take them, that would be stealing and just as against the law as placing an illegal stand. But,,,, maybe you could take it down and create a treasure hunt of the intricate parts for the criminal to find. It would be a fun little game for the loser!

Post Your Comment
1/27/16 @ 1:27 PM
HornsandFinns
HornsandFinns
USER since 8/5/15
Sarona,

That's awesome. I guess I should have explained myself a little better because our group also have stands 100yds off the road that are producing stands, we see lots of deer out of and have tagged many deer out of. These spots all came with plenty of scouting. In fact the stand that we saw the most deer out of this year was a stand next to a County highway. I was more or less talking about the guy that comes up one weekend takes a stroll in the woods puts corn down and puts his stand up and waits for the deer to come to him rather than trying to figure them out. I used to hunt a piece of private land in Door County that our best stand was 75yds off of the county highway it seemed like the deer ran parallel with the higway on that piece of property I saw some really nice deer from that stand and unfortunately I missed the biggest buck I have ever seen on stand from that spot.

Post Your Comment
1/27/16 @ 11:12 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
USER since 1/5/05
Hornsandfins-

I know two people that hunt the area I do that killed a 156" buck and 160" buck within 100 yards of the road this year off public land. Both deer were shot within a 1/2 mile of each other. The guy that shot the 156" deer was telling me he had to wait for a car to drive past so he could draw since it was dead calm that night.

In some areas hunting by the roads is actually better because there are a lot of people that think they need to get in deep and end up pushing the deer out to the roads. You just have to spend time and get to know the area you hunt.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 41 Posts