Tree stands - climber vs hang on?

11/5/15 @ 8:18 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Musky99
Musky99
USER since 8/8/11
I gun and bow hunt on public land in norther wi. Unfortunately only bow hunt a few times each year. Currently have an older hang on with climbing sticks. I have been looking at buying a climber, but have never used one before. What are pros and cons of each? Which is 'safer'?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts
11/25/15 @ 10:17 AM
Brian Hammarsten
Hammar
USER since 4/5/10
I prefer climbing sticks and hang on stands. They are more versatile since you dont have to find straight tree or saw as many limbs off on your way up.

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
Post Your Comment
11/18/15 @ 8:23 AM
northernexsposure
northernexsposure
USER since 3/15/08
If you hunt in popple or oak, then there is no issue with finding a tree to get a climber up. I almost broke my neck the few times I put up my hang-ons. Some practice and technique I am sure would help a lot. But I prefer a climber and the several different woods I hunt have plenty of good trees to get a climber up, never an issue.

Post Your Comment
11/18/15 @ 8:10 AM
doohop65
doohop65
USER since 2/23/10
Unless you are going to hang your stand in a dead tree(for safety reasons I don't recommend this) there is no such thing as a forever treestand. I have seen stands with chains that have grown around the chain from not being adjusted. There are stands out there with metal attachments. Best bet is to go to fleet farm or cabelas and walk around

Post Your Comment
11/18/15 @ 4:54 AM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
Does anyone know of a good hang on stand that can be left on a tree basically for ever? Is there a way or is one made with chains of cables that are used to attach it versus straps that the critters eat?

Thanks

Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 9:07 PM
stangl52
stangl52
USER since 6/23/06
That's my only beef with ground hunting. Not being able to see, it gets awfully hard to stay focused on longer sits when you only see 50 yArds. If I can help it, hunting in more hill country like I do.....I try to sit above trails with wind permitting, which gives me more field of view. But yes, that's the problem with ground hunting.

Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 7:44 PM
Wallyslayer13
Wallyslayer13
USER since 1/20/12
I have both climber is nice and comfortable but you have to do pre scouting on trees if you have a nice light pair of climbing sticks and stand you can basically use any tree and set up in the same amount of time and don't have to pick in choose. I like both but both have ups and downs comes to your preference and where you do most of your hunting if the tree allow you to use a climber

Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 6:10 PM
flyguy329
flyguy329
USER since 1/25/06
Do you ever feel sitting on the ground limits your view too much? I grew up out west and always hunted on the ground. .nothing better than a few 5 feet from you that knows somethings up but can't but help sit and stare at you....

Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 4:53 PM
stangl52
stangl52
USER since 6/23/06
Frankly I think hunting on the ground has more advantages than a climber. Not only does a climber require straight trees....it also requires branch less trees....meaning your are wide open with no cover. Bowhunted 2 weekends ago....heard a guy climb up his tree from 400 plus yards clanking away in his climber scraping up the tree. If I do hunt from a tree.....I prefer an older tree with lots of branches or groups of trees.....I rarely sit higher than 10-12ft. Higher makes for poor shooting angles unless you shoot at 30 plus yards which I refuse to do in Wisconsin. I think many times your better off on the ground on public lands. Find the best sign....get hidden in brush piles or groups of trees. I have even moved after seeing deer using different trails. Lots of positives for ground hunting.

But since this is climber vs strap on.......I vote strap on 100%

Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 3:03 PM
timberjack
timberjack
USER since 7/1/04
I agree with what has been said about advantages of both. I want to focus o comfort. I have a summit viper. Quiet, fairly light, and really comfortable to sit for long periods. If you are in areas with small trees or ones with lots of branches, you will need a hanger. The nice thing is, I have bought several hangers with sticks for less than 30 dollars used. You can get a strap and pad to make a backpack strap for carrying. I get bulk strap material from our army surplus store. You can ratchet your sticks to the hanger for carrying. If you find a cheaper hanger, you could get a summit viper too Smile

Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 10:01 AM
snipe n
snipe n
USER since 9/10/07
I prefer to move where the deer are. Or where I haven't spooked them going in. After going a 1/2 mile spooking deer I will often go another 1/4 mile. Climber makes that easier for me to navigate thru woods. Also hunting public land where you can't leave or wouldn't want to leave anything out for the night or any amount of time.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts