SEARCH
MORE
Archery

The great bow /crossbow debate

10/31/18 @ 2:32 PM
INITIAL POST
str8shot
User since 11/19/10

Since I have about 2 months to burn being laid up and haven't been on in a while, I figured I would see how some fellow lake linkers feel on the topic of crossbows now that they have been legal in the archery season for a few years. 

I'm interested in knowing WHY (big emphasis on the "WHY")….you either do or don't support having them being a part of the archery season. 

As the thread progresses I figure I'll have chances to support my own thoughts on the topic.

Displaying 31 to 40 of 583 posts
3/16/22 @ 1:04 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

I move to allow trebuchet’s during gun season. The more advanced kind only, with the trigger mounted on the weapon, not the medieval Roman kind where you have to cut the rope with an axe. We can always open up a season for the traditionalists I guess. Nothing says easy button like flinging flaming stones and diseased corpses at a herd of deer.

3/16/22 @ 12:52 PM
Kempdog1113
User since 6/8/16

sorry i am back

the point i was trying  to make is does it really matter what weapon we use to hunt we are outside doing something. 

I have to use a crossbow to hunt so that makes me a "what" a poor hunter 

Come on get a life and start posting about good things

Thanks again

3/16/22 @ 11:26 AM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08

"So where do you draw the line?"

And that right there is the kicker.....on any topic that you want to argue about.  

Everybody has their own personal "line in the sand" on anything.  As soon as the line is moved, they get into a tizzy.

On this topic, it seems that the powers that be drew the line to separate "string fired projectile weapons" from "gun powder fired projectile weapons".  None of the other differences matter...according to the powers that be.  They'll have to define what category an "air fired projectile weapon" falls into.

Round and round and round and round and round........

3/16/22 @ 10:02 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

There's the comment about long bows to compounds again.  The fact is both are still bows and archery.  But to use that argument, lets re word it.  Why did you switch from a crossbow to a airbow?  Why did you switch from an airbow to a shotgun?  Why did you switch from a shotgun to a rifle?  It's the same argument you can use to justify any weapon during any season.  So where do you draw the line?  

3/16/22 @ 9:58 AM
Kempdog1113
User since 6/8/16

I am back!

When all you compound bow hunters go back to long bows then comment please

Question

Why did you switch from long bow to compound or have you never shot a long bow.

3/16/22 @ 8:35 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

Just as easy except 1. have to draw when game present 2. have to practice more 3. have to fit bow to individual hunter 4. have to sight your own gear in 5. have to shoot without a rest 6. have to shoot without a scope 7. have more arc and less range. But after that its just the same.  

3/15/22 @ 9:09 PM
perchin1989
perchin1989
User since 9/14/15

Just as easy, not true. Hand anyone with little or no experience shooting either a crossbow walk them through how to aim and shoot, do the same with a compound no matter how new or nice. Results are going to be drastically different. I dont what you use if u get out and enjoy the experience that's all that matter. I jumped on the bandwagon as soon as I could and after shooting 2 deer with the crossbow it was quickly sold. Onto a newer nicer compound and never looked back. Love harvesting deer but with the crossbow it felt more like gun hunting. Not nearly the rush for me regardless of distance. Just my 2 cents everyone's different. 

3/15/22 @ 7:52 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Today's modern day compounds are just as EASY as any crossbow. 

80% letoff trigger release. Most 12 year olds can ace the weapon in short order. My 90's area compound is a whole different lion.

A skilled bowman using a long bow/ recurve is a skill that I would never question or critize.

Season structure is right where it needs to be. Most other states have similar rules and regulations. Crossbows are no comparison to a slug gun or rifle in the field of play. 

I like shooting the Crossbow. I like shooting the vertical. Both require pulling your quarry 30yrds or less. That's where I get the RUSH. For me, shooting a deer with a high powered rifle just doesn't tickle my fancy anymore. 

3/15/22 @ 7:35 PM
Kempdog1113
User since 6/8/16

Just my two cents. I am 69 years young,hunting since i was twelve.

I have shot deer with long bow,a recure bow,a few right handed compound bows(old ones very little let off) 

Two left handed compound  bows(still old style), and because my arms do not work real good so now i shot a cross.

But know what i am still in woods hunting. That is what counts.

One last thing to all you "hunters" out there with your fancy compound bows how many deer have you shot with a long bow.

Come and talk to me after that.

Thanks 

3/15/22 @ 6:21 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

"Axel22  -  getting old oldhunter! "

Old enough to call it what it is  A "CROSSBOW"

But hey, if you want to act like a child throwing tantrums, go for it. 

Displaying 31 to 40 of 583 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE