The great bow /crossbow debate

10/31/18 @ 1:32 PM
ORIGINAL POST
str8shot
str8shot
USER since 11/19/10

Since I have about 2 months to burn being laid up and haven't been on in a while, I figured I would see how some fellow lake linkers feel on the topic of crossbows now that they have been legal in the archery season for a few years. 

I'm interested in knowing WHY (big emphasis on the "WHY")….you either do or don't support having them being a part of the archery season. 

As the thread progresses I figure I'll have chances to support my own thoughts on the topic.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 215 Posts
TODAY @ 11:00 PM
RangerKid
RangerKid
USER since 6/26/01

Wow, looks like this thread has gone cold. Time to stir the pot 

I believe one of the big assumptions that the state and many others were eager to include crossbows in with the archery season, was the belief that it would curb the decline in license sales. It is now evident that did not turn out to be the case, as sales have been in a steady decline. 

Point # 2--

A rifle you mount to your shoulder----a crossbow the same----a bow is handheld

A rife is locked and loaded----a crossbow the same----a bow is drawn

A rifle usually carries a magnified  scope----cb the same----a bow usually a fiber pin

A rifle can be shot from a rest----a cb can be shot from a rest----a bow is hand held

Apparently if it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, it must be a bow. 

The reason the gun season is nine days and the bow season is just shy of 4 months is because a rifle is a more efficient weapon, so why wouldn't that line of thinking carry over to a crossbow. Just thinking from a rational unemotional point of view. 

I'm not expecting much to change, and I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it, but that is just the way I'm seeing it, from my vantage point.

Post Your Comment
11/27/18 @ 1:22 PM
Hunter&Hound
Hunter&Hound
USER since 7/24/01

Looks like someone flushed the toilet.  

Post Your Comment
11/27/18 @ 1:20 PM
badgerstatehunter
badgerstatehunter
USER since 2/6/06

A lot of people mentioning disabilities or physical limitations.  Nobody is against disabled or people with physical limitations using them and they were always legal for those people.  Whether or not you think they should be allowed for everyone is the debate, but there has never been a debate for those people.  

Post Your Comment
11/27/18 @ 12:09 PM
samfox
samfox
USER since 3/17/09

I’m now 60 years old, at 12 I broke the inside of my elbow socket off, 2 plates and 23 screws later it was fixed. 4 years later I started to bow hunt with a recurve, 45# was all I could do, about then compounds were hitting the market. With 50% let off I could shoot 65#. Then 18 years later the repair failed, had it redone, lost movement, strength and gained scar tissue. Was still able to bow hunt but only at 47#, still good. Then in my early 50’s it fails again, redone again, same story, lost more movement,strength and gained scar tissue, can no longer pull enough to hunt. Quit for a couple of years, missed it bad.  Bought a crossbow, back in the woods and I love it. Sorry for the rant, but things change wether you want them to or not. 

Edited on 11/27/18 1:11 PM
Post Your Comment
11/25/18 @ 4:02 PM
IceFishBaby
IceFishBaby
USER since 11/26/01

Great article in field and stream on the topic.  Sides with a lot of my views.  Worth the read.

Post Your Comment
11/25/18 @ 3:37 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

You are allowed to shoot from a stationary trailer/blind/wagon with wheels as long as it is not connected to a vehicle.

Post Your Comment
11/25/18 @ 11:35 AM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01

1pass, shooting from a house cabin window is legal. Something with "wheels" such as a camper or truck not legal........

EDIT: Make mine a twist, no jimmies today.......

Edited on 11/25/18 11:36 AM
Post Your Comment
11/25/18 @ 11:22 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Griff n -

Orange sherbet lol - that’s funny!  

Have a great day! 

Post Your Comment
11/25/18 @ 11:15 AM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

Plmlk, agree 100%, if it floats your boat, go for it. Orange sherbert for me tho

Edited on 11/25/18 11:17 AM
Post Your Comment
11/25/18 @ 9:37 AM
1pass
1pass
USER since 6/27/17

I really don't see a difference. Some guys with expensive compounds can outshoot their buddies with cheaper crossbows.

Maybe this should be another Topic but I don't see a difference in someone shooting a deer out of a heated enclosed elevated shooting house(deer stand) than someone shooting one out there cabin or house window.Whitch is illegal isn't it?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 215 Posts