what about 129 7/8, that count?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 150 Posts
1/12/15 @ 4:46 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
Closed MFL:

".theres no disadvantages really ,its closed to the public,you either can put it in for 25years or50 years and its all transferable if you want to sell it someday "

That is the problem, and why so much MFL-Open is disappearing. However, just remember you can't build or cut what you want on the land. Also, when you sell it, most of the time you will not get what you want out of it as the next landowner either has to keep it in MFL, or pay all the back taxes.

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 10:11 AM
splitG2
splitG2
USER since 10/12/07
The first and biggest hurdle I needed to clear before buying land was to convince the wife! Great investment, It will only go up in value, a place up north to vacation with the kids, we can retire up north and build a cabin..…etc…..And let me tell you, we couldn’t afford it at the time. My philosophy is if you wait till you can afford it, you will never get anything. That’s what banks are for. We took out a home equity loan, struggled with double payments till interest rates were low and then consolidated. Hit it just right and my house payment stayed the same. When there’s a will, there’s a way. Otherwise if you got buddies that have the same outlook as you on hunting, go in together to buy land, but make sure there are written down ground rules or those same buddies won’t be buddies very long.

Post Your Comment
1/11/15 @ 7:07 PM
bldyarrow
bldyarrow
USER since 2/7/14
mattman,you need to talk with your county forester,find him at your county courthouse most likely,thats where mine is.to give you some perspective ihave 230 acres of all woods with a cabin n two barns I have it all except 15 acres that the buildings sit on in the closed program,my taxes are $1900.theres no disadvantages really ,its closed to the public,you either can put it in for 25years or50 years and its all transferable if you want to sell it someday .Now you make a plan with the forester to harvest trees off your land usually once or twice in that 25 years,when you harvest,it can be select cut,the forester will help you with this,depending on if you have good trees you could have $30000-$100000 worth of trees there,the only catch of the whole deal is that the dnr/forestry gets 5percent of the sale,so lets say you take $30000 in logs out they get $1500, but now your taxes are probably only$900a year,so your saving some big money on taxes and making great money off the wood .its like farming only the crop is trees for you.you want to cut trees if you want deer,the chainsaw is your friend .have the forester give you recommendations on logger to log for you then they will stack it on a landing and 4-6 buyers will come bid on the logs again the forester and your logger will handle this.it looks messy the year they cut but it grows back fast and the wildlife will follow.i take achainsaw in known sidehill bedding areas and cut all the junk trees down to the ground,everthing goes except some white oak if its there,you need as much sun light in there you can get and mother nature will take care of the rest,the thicker the better ,you will bring lots of bucks to your property this way,if you don't have water on the property ,nows the time to put in 2-3 water holes ,they work great,again if logger has dozer you can work with him,you must put plastic liner in bottom to hold the water,food plots can go in the log landings also,cut the trees that's where your money comes from to help you own woodland

Post Your Comment
1/11/15 @ 2:04 PM
MathewsMan
MathewsMan
USER since 5/17/02
What are the main disadvantages to Closed MFL. Am I better off to have a company come out and do my own logging where I get all the proceeds. My land is all hardwoods, oaks,walnut,maple,etc. As I have to do something with my 100acres with a small 24x24 cabin in Vernon Cty. Taxes went up another $400 this year, now at $3750, it's crazy. Owning land is so out of reach for most people it's sad.

Post Your Comment
1/10/15 @ 9:50 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01
The 2 previous posts have some great info.

"its funner if you have 6 buddys to help you with all the work,you work hard on it and you will be rewarded!!"

That is how our camp runs. We've got a handful of guys. Everyone has a certain number of work days they need to get in and the operational expenses(propane, food plot seed/fertilizer/chemicals, fuel, maintenance, supplies, etc) get split evenly. We have a meeting every year to discuss projects, rules, goals, etc. It has become a year long obsession, but has certainly paid dividends in the fall. Much more fun as a group.

As for 1cast-away's post, great advice. Before owning land, we had permission to bowhunt a few hundred acre farm in Waupaca county. Always treated the landowner good and respected the boundaries he set. He wanted a little bit of money per guy, but we would also stop in and bring over some beer throughout the fall. At the end of the season, we would stop by and give him a gift certificate for him and his wife to go to a nice place in Waupaca for dinner and usually a nice tin of nuts or something else as thanks. Now, this was me, my dad, my dad's friend and later his friends son. The first year his friends son hunted, the farmer let him on for free. The next year, the dad didn't want to pay for 2($100 each), so he bailed on us and hunted up by his place up north on public instead(that has since dried up on him). He never told the farmer he was leaving, just left it up to us. Now, we hunted there a couple more years and bought land. After we closed, we made a point in the middle of winter to stop by the farmer, thank him for letting us hunt his land, and let him know we would no longer be hunting there. Hoped that would leave a good impression in his mind of other hunters. Also, left plenty of time before the next season for others to ask and get in there since we now left.

Similarly, I have a buddy who has done well with the time and patience aspect of what 1cast-away mentioned. He has a handful of private land spots in SE Wisconsin that were gained over years of building up relationships with landowners. He would stop by year after year and talk to the same people. Eventually it paid off as he started getting properties to hunt. I think he had a string of about 4 or 5 years in a row of P&Y bucks bowhunting these properties. He has offered to help these landowners with work on their houses or properties since many are older and not as mobile. He also delivers on what is promised.

When we first bought our land, it was just me and my dad hunting. He had asked a handful of his friends if they wanted to go in with him, but they all had different spending priorities. One year there were a few Lake Linkers looking for turkey hunting spots in our area, I think it was unit 22 at the time. I had wanted to put in a food plot, and despite being "rich" I didn't have a 4 wheeler or money to purchase one. Offered a trade with a couple lake linkers of turkey hunting in exchange for them bringing and ATV over and working up an area smaller than 1/2 acre for me to plant some clover. One committed, but then bailed. The other hunted, got a very nice tom turkey, but never delivered on the work. Since I had already purchased the seed and fertilizer, I ended up renting the equipment on my own dime and scrambling to get it done. That really left a bad taste in my mouth. Now, fast forward a bit. We decided to build a cabin. A couple of my friends helped and my dad's friend and kid from earlier helped. They all got to do some bowhunting for helping. To continue hunting, we asked that they put in some weekends each year helping with work. My dad's friend and kid bailed on this after a year or 2. They went back to the north and are hunting an absolute desert now. My 2 buddies really took an hwnership role and went above and beyond and locked in a place in the camp. Both have since purchased land adjoining our property. They have experienced some amazing hunting the past decade or so. Point is, you never know when the opportunity is going to present itself, but I have seen some people toss away some great opportunity by not wanting to work a bit or kick in some money. And none of this would have broke the bank for any of them.

Post Your Comment
1/9/15 @ 7:50 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Sometimes gaining access to some private land takes some time and patience. And a little luck. Few people are going grant you access to deer hunt just by knocking on the door and asking. We had a great lease fall into our laps about 8 years ago. We had been turkey and goose hunting with permission and helping with chores for about 6 years....well his relatives were "leasing" or more or less paying the taxes on the property for deer access. Unfortunately for them they couldn't or didn't want to pay anymore....so the landowner offered us am arrangement too good to pass up. We gained his trust over the years and now we are also great friends.....I guess my point is, start small to get your foot in the door. Guys are far more likely to let you chase geese and turkeys around then deer....but you never know what opportunities may stem from there.

Post Your Comment
1/9/15 @ 6:43 PM
bldyarrow
bldyarrow
USER since 2/7/14
mat man,put your land in the closed mfl program .save you a bundle on taxes and harvest trees ,deer will love the thick bedding and eat all the natural browse , yes its hard work ,I own my own also,deer hunting becomes 12 moths a year ,shed hunting,food plots cutn trees ,mowing trails etc etc ,its funner if you have 6 buddys to help you with all the work,you work hard on it and you will be rewarded!!

Post Your Comment
1/9/15 @ 3:25 PM
MathewsMan
MathewsMan
USER since 5/17/02
Just had to chime in on the owning land thing. I'm age 29 and bought just over 100 acres in Vernon County hill country over 2 years ago at 27. I worked my tail off for it. When all my buddy's we're out having fun I was working. Started a business at age 20 and work non-stop. I shot 2 p&y's off it in 2 years, that's the consolation prize. Only downside is I don't get out there often. I'm not complaining but the problem for me is to afford something like this I constantly have to work for it. I literally eat,sleep,and drink making money. Everything I do revolves around how to make a buck, and I've come to realize it's really not that enjoyable. Even the land I've found ways to make money off it, about 9k last year with turkey lease, cabin rental, tillable income. Again I'm not trying to complain, but my dream of owning land seems more like I'm a slave to try and pay for it. Taxes went up another $400, this year. I often wonder if I made the right choice or if I'm better off hunting locally on public which I used to and every couple years going on a guided hunt somewhere. I think owning land is still great but it's not all that it's cracked up to be unless you make a small fortune.

Post Your Comment
1/9/15 @ 3:00 PM
lookn' 4 PnY
lookn' 4 PnY
USER since 7/15/05
JC I agree with some of your post and know where you are coming from. My household could probably afford land if we made some serious changes but that is something we are choosing not to do. I would rather go out of state every few years or buy a trail camera when I want one, again all my choice. I think if a person in your situation really wanted it bad enough you could find a way to get access to better places to hunt. Networking and willingness to do hard work still can go a long way. It is not the easiest way I understand, but opportunities are still out there. I also agree that it may just be impossible for some people who have very low income and overwhelming family responsibilities but people kill big bucks on public land every year. Maybe not the spots near their house that are easy to access but some of the very hard to access areas on the western side of the state are consistently putting deer in the 130 club. Money definitely makes better opportunities possible for the right people.

Post Your Comment
1/9/15 @ 1:20 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
I still agree with the deep pockets thing to a point. When I was in college, and my first ten-twenty years out of college, I could barely afford an apartment or house and gas money, let alone putting money away for retirement. No way could I buy land. Now that I am better off, is it worth pulling my monthly retirement savings payments, and instead spending $100,000 on a forty and $1500 on annual taxes? Sorry, but most people cannot afford an extra $1000/month for 15 years, and then $1500 annual taxes every year after that. If you can, you are lucky to have a great paying job, or plan on selling the land at retirement so you can make ends meet. If I were to buy a 40 now, I would be retired when the mortgage was paid off. The money I stuck into the purchase would have been stuck into my retirement account at a more secure return. I would be forced to sell the land just when I could enjoy it at retirement age.

So, there is a valid point of having more money = better hunting land, and therefore a better chance for success. If you have always had private land to hunt through inheritance or other methods, it would be hard to understand. For the average person, buying a decent sized parcel of land is just a dream.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 150 Posts