target panic

8/12/15 @ 12:18 PM
ORIGINAL POST
crossbow davio
crossbow davio
USER since 2/22/05
need some help a couple of weeks ago I was hitting 3 arrow 4" groups at 30 yards and now a I am launching arrows erratically all over the place. I am not holding and pulling the trigger on my release before I have even settled on a spot Puke Doh! Angry I have thought of lowering my draw weight to help me hold longer but any suggestions would be helpful
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
10/7/15 @ 6:57 AM
Ratoney
Ratoney
USER since 12/11/09
One thing to consider is to draw and then not allow yourself to squeeze the trigger. Just hold on the target with as much focus as you can muster without squeezing. Put your finger behind the trigger before the shot and don't let it move. When you get tired of holding the draw, let up. Rest. Then repeat. Not feeling the need to squeeze should help in your problem. It's helped me and I hope it works for you. I also use it sometimes to refine my aim. It seems like when I do it a couple times, I find it easier to settle on a point. Good luck.

Ratoney

Post Your Comment
10/6/15 @ 6:01 PM
Black Eagle
Black Eagle
USER since 6/17/15
Dump the trigger and learn to shoot backtension with a hinge. Once any TP is gone you will shoot alot better. Theres a reason BT shooter scores are better then punchers.

Post Your Comment
8/25/15 @ 3:23 PM
rePLOW
rePLOW
USER since 4/26/13
Before my back tension days I use to panic a lot. One way I would try to use to get rid of it was to slow down and really focus on my form rather than the shot. Make your pre shot routine the same every shot. Take a breath. Draw. Anchor. Line up you peep. Get on target. Focus on elbow position and shoulder position. R3lax. Hover. Sqeeze the shot. Find what works and try to repeat it over and over. Same thing if you shoot back tension. Archery is all about being consistent and taking as much of the human element out of the shot as possible. It's a mental game afterall

Post Your Comment
8/17/15 @ 8:13 PM
greg2507
greg2507
USER since 1/13/13
What kind of rest do you have? If you have a drop away rest could it be the timing? Hope you figure it out. Good luck

Post Your Comment
8/15/15 @ 8:26 AM
stillhunter
stillhunter
USER since 8/11/01
i have to say what has helpped me most with tp is shooting at a blank bale no target. Just set up 10 to 15 yards out and darw your bow back and concentrate on making a good shot follow thru and all the basics take aiming out of the picture for a little while. I blank bale everyday for at least a half hour !! an yes I use back tension but ive never used my back muscles ive always rotated my hand since ive got a bt release it has brought my scores up into the 300s .Now im not the best shooter here but I really think blank bailing will help you good luck

Post Your Comment
8/15/15 @ 12:15 AM
RangerKid
RangerKid
USER since 6/26/01
Check out the August issue of Field & stream of all places. There is an interview with Levi Morgan, and he gives quite a few good tips on shooting, & equipment. Levi is the worlds best 3D archer. JC- Wisconsin touched on some of Levi's practice shooting drills, that can be quite helpful. It's certainly worth a read.

Post Your Comment
8/13/15 @ 9:06 PM
gotacarp
gotacarp
USER since 2/2/10
Check everything to make sure it's all tight. I had the same issue and I found my rest came lose.game on after that

Post Your Comment
8/13/15 @ 1:25 PM
Pike River Outfitters
Pike River Outfitters
MEMBER since 5/3/08
Back tension ? Really? ..... ask Levi Morgan about back tension some time .

Post Your Comment
8/13/15 @ 10:12 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
I get it all the time and is the biggest issue with my shooting. It gets in your head like short putts on the golf course.

The only trick that works for me is to "fake" shoot at the target. That is, do everything the same up to the shot, but just hold the pin on the spot you want to hit - but do not shoot. Keep the pin on the spot. Just let down after holding on the spot. Do this instead of practice shooting for a few sessions and you might be surprised how well it works. This trains the brain not to fire your trigger finger when the pin gets close.

The other trick I use is to get within 5 yards of the target, and do not aim at anything but the center of the target. Do not pick a spot to shoot. Shoot several times at this close range and just focus on your release. This trains the brain to separate your trigger finger from your automatic brain response to release the trigger.

Post Your Comment
8/12/15 @ 10:34 PM
lookn' 4 PnY
lookn' 4 PnY
USER since 7/15/05
A release that does not have a trigger is considered a "back tension" release. They are activated by drawing, getting settled, and slowly pulling through the release by tightening your back muscles. A hinge is a style of back tension release. I shoot a Stan Element and it is more of a pull through style. I have a thumb safety I press during the draw cycle and when at full draw I relax my thumb settle my pin over the target, and slowly pull through with my back muscles. If done correctly I am surprised when the arrow is released. It takes a lot of practice to get proficient but with a little dedication you can suppress your TP in half rather quickly. I made a string bow out of a wood dowel and old bow string and basically close my eyes and simulate a draw cycle. You can do this while watching tv at night. I did this pretty much every night until I felt very comfortable. I then shot a bunch of arrows at very short yardages (2-3 yards)with my eyes closed on release to focus on the release only. After a few sessions I was amazed how easy it was to hold the pin exactly on a dot. Because I had no idea when my release was going to go off my only focus was to keep the pin on target. I have not been shooting all summer and I did need to spend some time with the string bow again and blind baling to get back to where I was. If I feel any sort of target panic setting in I will repeat the process again. It takes a lot of time and repetition. The only thing I would caution with back tension is it is possible to anticipate the release, pull harder or rotate your hand if using a hinge to execute the shot. If you find yourself doing this you need to stop and work on your execution again or you are essentially controlling the release and not solving your problems. If the release is not a surprise you are doing it wrong. Sorry for the novel, keep in mind this is my experience and my way is not the only way or possibly the wrong way. I also had to generalize quite a bit. Good luck

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts