Swampy bow hunting property/food plots

7/19/15 @ 9:43 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Bowhunter3196
Bowhunter3196
USER since 9/15/13
We own 70 acres of bow hunting property in waushara county and we run into the same problem every year. We always plant 4, 1 acre food plots on the land but we usually can't plant until August because of how wet it is. We're trying to think of a way to try and control the water level. Any ideas? We've thought about maybe building ponds to help hold the water but the problem is, the water table is too high. Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe building up the trail and the food plots? But when and how would we do that... Or maybe hauling dirt in, in the winter time with a snowmobile? I'm not sure just let me know what you guys think. Also if you know of any good food plot mixes that grow well in wetter areas feel free to post. There is usually an inch of standing wTsd in the spring and currently with the canary grass there isn't any standing water but just a lot of mud, if you walk in it your boot sinks a good 5 inches
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
7/20/15 @ 7:18 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Also agree with castaway you are gonna spend a pile of time and money no matter what you do. I hunt cover more then food but if you "can" get food and cover bingo. Only cost effective way I know to do what you are thinking about is to locate an excavator for sale cheap and dig them yourself. Probably gonna run you 10 k for a used up old one. You are looking at a pretty big under taking but you can really improve your property with an excavator. Ponds, ditches, removal of trees, ect. Good luck

Post Your Comment
7/20/15 @ 7:11 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Only real way I know that would work is to have drainage ditches put in. I know of two properties that this was done to and it worked great.

Post Your Comment
7/19/15 @ 10:04 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
As great as plots are, cover that deer feel safe in is just as important to them. That sounds like a lot of work to get the plots to be successful... (maybe). I obviously have no clue what your area looks like but have you considered putting your efforts towards improving the cover available to the deer instead of food plots.? Plots are a gamble when the odds are in your favor, but in a situation like yours it's really a risk as to if they will be successful....in my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Post Your Comment