Steer A Deer

8/19/15 @ 8:33 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Joe D
Joe D
USER since 3/21/05
I was watching Matthews Dominant Bucks tonight and they had a sponsor that is called "Steer A Deer". It is nothing more than an olive green colored snow fence that you put up to steer deer. Even Tom Miranda said a word about it at the end of the commercial. Now I don't know about you but that to me that's just a bit much. Don't get me wrong I am all for food plots, calls, lures etc but this was too much. I was actually embarrassed to be a hunter for a second. Are they that desperate for advertisers? Shame on all of them. Oh well, I just had to vent.....forgive me
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 28 Posts
8/28/15 @ 7:31 PM
chuckc
chuckc
USER since 3/21/14
If you want to really do that, build a fence, any fence, including using brown yard twine to make a multi strand fence across your entire area.

Arrange it into a very large X shape with the center 20 yards gone or open. Make the fence high enough that the deer will not LIKELY jump over it, but will follow it instead.

Now, guess where you will be while every single deer that moves thru the area passes by you because you " steered em.

Of course. . . is that what you want to remember in your hunt memories? Chuck

Post Your Comment
8/26/15 @ 1:01 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
And they can call themselves 'prostaffers' Lol! Who ISN'T one nowadays! Haha!

Post Your Comment
8/26/15 @ 12:41 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Funny part about the TV guys who endorse this fence product...it's probably the only one of their products they get paid to use that really makes a difference haha!

Post Your Comment
8/26/15 @ 12:14 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
I agree with you 1cast. I think the difference though is everything you just mentioned wasn't put, chopped, or moved there in the first place to 'intentionally' move deer. It was for different reasons entirely. A snow fence takes everything to a whole different level...

Post Your Comment
8/26/15 @ 11:45 AM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
While I will never put up a fence..I do hunt obstacles that affect deer movement. Just this week I hung a stand near a huge maple that the wind blew over. It fell in a bedding area I hunt in November, deer will use it to bed in and will either walk around it the easy way (where stand is) or walk through a tangled mess on the other side. Also when the farmers trim trees on the field edges in winter, they just push the mess into the woods with the tractor. This limits where the deer can easily enter the field.

Post Your Comment
8/26/15 @ 10:18 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
What you just stated... hunting prime land. Why is it prime land? Because of all the 'managed' for deer things that are being done. Lets see these great hunters film shows on public every year... Not over fields that a directly for the reason. Deer safe havens until the rut when guys get paid for that one big deer that has no reason to leave its home on the 'range'...

Post Your Comment
8/26/15 @ 9:13 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
I don't put the "pros" on a pedestal, but I am sure many are great hunters. They have the money and the sponsorships to hunt prime land, but I wouldn't call these places game farms. Most cases they are well managed, non-fenced farms. Of course they wouldn't kill a monster buck as often if they hunted northern WI, especially public land. But I wouldn't go as far as to call them not real hunters.

Post Your Comment
8/26/15 @ 8:04 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
"Matthews, and Tom Miranda and Stan Potts and the rest of the "pro's" should be embarrassed that they will put their names on anything just to pay the bills."

You all do realize that these guys aren't real hunters, right? Hunting on game farms and with outfitters that have animals coming in for bait like ranch hands to a dinner bell is not real hunting. Lets see one of these "pro's" harvest a trophy buck off my land in northern Wisconsin where the population is down to next to nothing. Then I'll be impressed.

If you use this product in northern Wisconsin, it should be renamed, "Steer What Deer?". Big Smile

Post Your Comment
8/25/15 @ 11:15 PM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
How many have made a barb wire fence easier to get through,cut paths,hunt near 4 wheel trails, cut down trees for a bedding area, used bait where/when legal, hunt over a planted food plot, drive deer? One man's method is another man's unethical!

Edited on 8/25/15 11:21 PM
Post Your Comment
8/25/15 @ 8:10 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
I just cut down a tree to steer deer away from an area and keep them broadside for 3 more seconds. I am not buying a brand name deer fence but in some cases I can see it working. Ask Don Higgens. I dont see it as cheap or unethical or anything. Then again you cant sit in my stands so I dont really care if you like it. Hunt for yourself friends and family. Have fun. Bottom line.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 28 Posts