Rut Wind

10/29/14 @ 6:27 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Bruiser05
Bruiser05
USER since 10/29/14
Hey Guys, Just figured I'd check your opinion on how a strong wind could help or hurt this week? With the cold front approaching it seems to be bringing some strong winds as well.. Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with wind during the rut? Or do bucks tend to be active with the action just starting to pick up? Typically I notice a significant decline in deer movement when there is a very strong wind and want to get your take as if you think they'll still be on their feet? Planning on an all day sit Friday! Best of luck to all!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
10/29/14 @ 6:56 PM
ShootCatchEat
ShootCatchEat
USER since 11/4/11
Almost all Big bucks Ive shot it was windy and nasty and usually right when I cant take it anymore. Between 9-11am. When they get a sniff of that poon or are chasing, it doesnt matter whats going on at the time.

Post Your Comment
10/29/14 @ 4:26 PM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
USER since 1/1/10
Sometimes it seems as if the deer get spooky in that wind and it'll get them up on their feet too. Other than tryingto find the places with less wind, I'll look for wide open spaces. This give the deer more opportunity to see whats going on around them rather then being in the woods with all the noise and movements. The only rule to the rut is that there are no rules is probably. Peak rut, it just pays to be out hunting no matter the conditions. We hope for the best, but hunt with what we get.

Post Your Comment
10/29/14 @ 4:17 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
The buck in my avatar picture was shot during rifle season on a day with 20-30mph winds and a steady rain. It didn't seem to bother him then.

Post Your Comment
10/29/14 @ 1:47 PM
browning3
browning3
USER since 5/23/02
Shot my buck last year on Nov. 9th. We had 30+ wind gusts that day.

Post Your Comment
10/29/14 @ 11:48 AM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
USER since 1/1/10
If the big boys are rutting anything is possible. True your not going to get one sitting on the couch. With that being said, if your going to hunt in heavy winds, try to pick your spot accordingly if possible. My favorite place to go is where the wind is the least on these days. I usually find myself in the pines during a good rain or heavy winds and so are the deer.

Post Your Comment
10/29/14 @ 9:33 AM
Gator43
Gator43
USER since 8/1/01
Won't make it any easier, but gotta be out there...I rest on one experience about 20yrs ago with gail force winds and had a big 10 chasing a doe around by me, but couldn't get a shot. So, never know, anything is possible now. We've had bucks chasing since the 20th, and mature bucks already showing face that day and since then.

Post Your Comment
10/29/14 @ 7:02 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
A buck only has a few days of the year to get his grove on. Wind isn't going to stop him.

Post Your Comment