Recommend broadhead for bear hunting.

2/26/14 @ 8:23 AM
ORIGINAL POST
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09
I drew a tag for this fall. Thinking of using my bow this time around. I shoot 100g Muzzys during deer season. I have a pack of 100g 3-blade Rage broadheads available, but haven't run out of Muzzys so they're still new in the package. Staying with 100g, what broadhead do you guys recommend for optimal penetration and cutting diameter? Thanks.
Edited on 2/26/14 8:24 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts
10/17/14 @ 5:10 PM
Z7nRageKilla
Z7nRageKilla
USER since 10/11/11
Rage 2 blade, plenty of damage to take down any big game animal in North America. This is the entry wound on a whitetail I shot, exit wound was even bigger!

Post Your Comment
9/8/14 @ 5:36 PM
Steve @ G & S
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
I've killed two black bears with a bow. On both of those bears, I used a Muzzy four blade broadhead. One bear made it about 40 yards before piling up. The other bear was shot on video tape and was dead in NINE seconds.

I would avoid using a mechanical broadhead, and what you're using for whitetail is just fine.

I've switched from Muzzy broadheads to Slick Trick Magnum 100 four blade heads only because Slick Trick uses a steel ferrule and Muzzy uses aluminum, which isn't quite as tough....

Formerly Steve @ G & S

Post Your Comment
9/8/14 @ 2:03 PM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09
I went with my 100g 4-blade Muzzy.

Only reason I didn't get a pass-thru was because the angle I had put the exit through the opposite shoulder - could feel the point just under the skin.

Ran 50 yards out, 20 back, and piled up - all in the span of about .00005 seconds (or so it seemed).

Good luck!

Edited on 9/8/14 2:03 PM
Post Your Comment
5/3/14 @ 9:34 AM
bowhunk
bowhunk
USER since 1/24/13
Most heads work fine. Take the thunderhead 125 for example. I have killed bear elk sheep and deer with them. I no longer use them as other heads have passed them by somewhat. They do not fly great and that is a big point for me. Also leading point tip is not enough of a cutting point like the newer heads and that loses you penetration. I have had too many kills with the thunderhead that stopped at the hide rather than exiting. Your mention of the best combination of cutting and penetration might be framed as the best flying head that has a great chance of a pass through. A big hole but just on top leaves something to be desired.

Post Your Comment
4/8/14 @ 7:33 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04
As anyone can see by the posts it's really a matter or personal preference. Good and bad can be said about all. I have seen clean kills with all. Even some amazing stuff out of expandables. Like you said, if it aint broke dont fix it. Your muzzys will do the job just fine. Like anything it's all about shot placement.

I might not have read it right. But the blades for the the NAP thunderheads are made by a company in IL. Owner happens to be a personal friend.

Good luck this season!!

Post Your Comment
4/7/14 @ 8:09 PM
ButtsD
ButtsD
USER since 12/20/12
I have heard some bear camps in Canada have placed a ban on expandable broadheads as they don't penetrate well. Watching hunting show kill shots on deer with arrows with expandable heads that look like they only penetrate less than half way. Some heavy bow shooters 65+# may get better penetration.

Also heard a few outfitters in Iowa have put a ban on expandables for their deer camps.

The best strong solid steel ferrule head I have found with replaceable blades is the Slick-Trick. They also have German made Lutz sharpened blades like the NAP Thunderhead which are the sharpest in the industry. Just replace the blades as they do get oxidized and dull over time.

Post Your Comment
3/28/14 @ 11:02 AM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09
Thanks for all the recommendations. Guess when it all boils down, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I've got plenty of confidence in my Muzzys.

Post Your Comment
3/25/14 @ 10:59 AM
LUVtheOTDRS
LUVtheOTDRS
USER since 11/15/06
Echo SFC.

Post Your Comment
3/25/14 @ 10:27 AM
SFC S
SFC S
USER since 1/24/06
I'd stay away from mechanical broadheads. You are aready shooting good broadheads, stay with them. 2 holes are WAY better than one. I think you're an experienced bear hunter , so you know where that broadhead needs to go.

Post Your Comment
3/20/14 @ 2:20 PM
deadonoutdoors
deadonoutdoors
USER since 9/18/09
I used NAP spitfires and my bear didn't go 25 yds. After a complete pass through it still stuck in the ground 4". Use what you have confidence in, not what someone else tells you is good.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts