RAGE crossbow expandables

11/5/17 @ 11:35 PM
ORIGINAL POST
jkb
jkb
USER since 6/25/02

Had to buy a crossbow this year as wear and tear on my shoulders and elbow prevent me from pulling back a bow anymore.  I didn’t have any idea what type of blades to purchase so I bought based on results from hunting videos.  These blades I got from my Barnett crossbow are super lethal.  Had a hard quartering away shot at an 8 pointer and the blade cut 4 ribs on entry near back of rib cage and cut 2 ribs cleanly on exit in front of far shoulder and buried in the ground.  Needless to say the buck piled up after 40 yds of snowplowing.  My son shot a big doe with a facing shot and the arrow skewered the full length of the deer before exiting near the anus.  

They are deadlier than a bullet as the large cutting diameter allows for some room for error.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 31 Posts
3/25/18 @ 4:33 AM
Loomis22
Loomis22
USER since 3/25/18

Shot a buck last year with them, only managed 25yrds before he dropped, shot a doe a week later, perfect shot placement, arrow deflected somewhere hit guts,liver. No problem tracking her. Pieces of intestines and guts all over the place while tracking. Went at least 500yrds and bedded up found her still alive........Needless to say I felt terrible and will be making a change. 1st pic is of entry 2nd of  exit.  FYI, she was completely broadside.

Edited on 3/25/18 4:35 AM
Post Your Comment
3/21/18 @ 10:51 AM
Red Eagle
Red Eagle
USER since 12/17/16

Rage =Junk. I don't have the info in front of me but it has been proven the metal they use in their broadheads are inferior to other brands like NAP. 

I lost the biggest buck of my life to a Rage. Long story short is the ferrule BROKE off at impact of hitting the shoulder blade sending the arrow one direction and the broadhead the other. Picked up the arrow and the ferrule was still stuck inside with the broadhead nowhere to be found and the buck walked off like nothing happened. Not an ounce of penetration. 

Went online ASAP and seen that others had the same problem and that where I did my research about their inferior metals.

Remember, they have quite the marketing program. More than any other broadhead that I have seen. That money comes from the purchase obviously. While their comparatively priced the extra money per pack has to go to advertising. So that would tell you that the broadhead has to be made CHEAPER to differentiate the cost!!!

I will never use Rage anything again and just laugh when I see them at Fleet.

Post Your Comment
12/10/17 @ 11:52 PM
yamatroller
yamatroller
USER since 5/7/06

Most of our group switched to spitfires from Muzzy's probably 10 years ago and have had very good results. Mostly pass throughs except if it was a bad hit, nothing like seeing the blood trail before  getting out of the tree stand. I would blame the shot placement more then the broadhead, sometimes what might look like good hit is actually not so good. Spitfires rip one heck of a hole and they fly really straight. 

Post Your Comment
12/6/17 @ 5:58 PM
Pike River Outfitters
Pike River Outfitters
MEMBER since 5/3/08

Let one fly , You never know !

Post Your Comment
12/6/17 @ 10:22 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Kind of surprised we haven't really seen the comments about using Rage because you are a bad shot.  Wasn't that the original joke?  Just hit them and they die?

I think if you all stayed on topic and discussed Rage out of a crossbow you'd see more of a consensus on things.  Instead you are mostly talking about Rage out of compounds.  More variability in draw weights, lighter arrows, etc.  Going to see differences in performance.  Most crossbows will shoot faster speeds and heavier bolts, leading to similar experiences.

Post Your Comment
12/4/17 @ 11:47 PM
dodger
dodger
MEMBER since 9/3/01

Whitetailfever,

I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make. Do you think the exit hole is going to be smaller ? I have shot many animals with Rage broadheads and they have all looked like the pictures I have posted.

I started my post out by saying I didn't want to get into the controversy but you asked for a exit hole picture. Shoot whatever you want I'm not going to criticize your choice. My post was just to show the devastation I have witnessed shooting the Rage broadhead.

Good luck to everyone.  

Post Your Comment
12/4/17 @ 1:28 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15

Sounds like alot of guys are butthurt over poor shots they have made. 

Post Your Comment
12/4/17 @ 12:39 PM
alcrumpler
alcrumpler
USER since 7/19/09
I myself am a shwacker guy also havent had a problem with pass threws or tracking lol really never hit one i havent watched drop in sight only problem iv found is after 3 or 4 deer the blade carry area gets bent so it time for new one.

Post Your Comment
12/4/17 @ 10:50 AM
lookn' 4 PnY
lookn' 4 PnY
USER since 7/15/05

Swhacker pass through, don't care either way as I shoot fixed and expandables.

60# draw 400gr. arrow

Post Your Comment
12/4/17 @ 9:08 AM
Whitetailfever29
Whitetailfever29
USER since 11/20/12

Always a pic on the entrance hole on a rage but never of the exit hole. I want to see the same devastation on the other side.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 31 Posts