Price County deer hunting

11/3/15 @ 10:02 AM
ORIGINAL POST
wale
wale
USER since 2/12/13
Just want to start this because I'm not always up but like to know what is happening. So hopefully there is people that are hunting up here.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 56 Posts
11/15/17 @ 10:57 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I had a couple little bucks on camera during the day but the bigger ones were at night.  A few does going past daily but no one following them. 

Tracks in the snow were average by me, nothing to get overly excited about.  I will say though that half the time I've walked in I've visually seen a deer.  This last weekend I actually had deer tracks on my own tracks from 30 minutes prior, so I just missed walking into another one.  Some around.

We had 2 small bucks walk past our cabin on a doe search as well.  My kids were pretty excited and my wife will be sitting back there for gun season.

Post Your Comment
11/14/17 @ 7:25 PM
wale
wale
USER since 2/12/13

This one came on camera this last week so it makes it a little more exciting for gun season 

A lot of tracks as well 

Post Your Comment
11/14/17 @ 7:17 PM
I'm Fishing or Hunting
I'm Fishing or Hunting
USER since 1/26/08

Put a lot of miles on this past weekend scouting different areas out.  I personally did not see a lot of deer.  However it snowed Friday night, and the amount of fresh tracks I saw in the snow Saturday and Sunday, covering all the miles I put on, there has to be a significant increase in deer numbers from the last couple of years.  I could walk these same stretches which are miles long for days in prior years and not see any sign in the snow.  There wasn't a stretch that didn't have multiple deer moving within each area.  To me that was very encouraging, and have higher hopes for gun season.    .  

Post Your Comment
11/9/17 @ 8:11 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

They do move during the day LOL!  Your camera is crooked, did a bear move it on you?  I had a pic of a bear the last time I checked my camera.

Post Your Comment
11/8/17 @ 7:06 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
Lakeshiner, this is what they look like in the daytime, not that I would know without my trail cam. The day one is in Price co. The night buck is in Washington co. in my back yard.  This is the bruiser I have never seen in the daytime. 

Edited on 11/8/17 7:10 PM
Post Your Comment
11/6/17 @ 8:39 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Hunted with my dad the past few days to see if he could get a buck.  Saw a spiker and does, nothing with the does at the time.  Then on Saturday we were watching the Badger game and my mom went in a ground blind with her camera and got a picture of a 6 pointer following a doe around.  Would have been a 14" wide 8 but it didn't have brow tines, I see that quite a bit up there.  Probably won't be out up there until gun season now.  Couple 10 pointers on my camera but at night yet.

Overall I can't say I see an increase in deer.  If anything its status quo from last season.  That's just my areas though. 

Edited on 11/6/17 8:41 AM
Post Your Comment
11/5/17 @ 7:55 AM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06

Like everywhere else in the northwoods, Price County deer numbers are up.  Like everywhere else in the state, Price County deer are not evenly distributed.  The farms I have been on are seeing good numbers of deer feeding on the fields.  I have seen some myself- especially in the more agricultural areas.  In the primarily forested areas, deer numbers are still low.  Scout extensively and choose your spot.

Post Your Comment
11/5/17 @ 7:49 AM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

Sure are lots of bear. I have one that keeps knocking my trail cam . There buck ratio is no doubt better than it was.  The old ones sure dont move much in the day time but they are there. No sign of timber wolves  and almost no wood ticks this year by me and a lot of fawns making it to fall. I still think the wood ticks kill deer. I have see pictures with a hundreds of ticks on a deer and it has to be a detriment.

Post Your Comment
10/16/17 @ 1:51 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Lots of coyotes by us as well.  I'm going to try my hand at trapping this year to get a few.  Being pretty new I expect low success but hopefully I get a couple.  During the summer we had one yipping so loud that it sounded like it was inside with us, not the first time that has happened.  Almost hit a couple with my truck too.

I first plan to get a camera in one of my main spots this weekend and will probably setup a stand.  I'll be up helping my dad the first week of November so he's going to spend a day or two back where I hunt. 

Post Your Comment
10/14/17 @ 9:52 AM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

Just an observation, I was in Price co. a few weeks ago , back in the big woods. The buck age is better. A few decent bucks that are 2 yrs old and a few more 1 .5 yr bucks. Still shy on numbers but several twins running around.  Now for the not so good news, the coyote numbers just seem to be increasing more each year.  Now for the Good, the bad and the ugly. The bear numbers sure are on the rise.  My cams second last picture had a cub walking on a log and 1 minute later the last pic was taken as the cam hit the dirt. Dang little cub.   I had one timber wolf on the cam  in May .  They seem to be on the rise too.  

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 56 Posts