Please Wear a Safety Harness!!!

11/12/12 @ 8:43 AM
ORIGINAL POST
BOW NUT
BOW NUT
USER since 12/9/01
Just heard a tragic story about a customer of mine that had a horrific accident while setting a stand for his son. I hear way to often hunters stating that using a harness is either a hassle or that it gets in the way. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that people will spend thousands on a bow and other gimmicks and gadgets out there but won't spend a hundred bucks on a harness that may save their life. If not for yourself do it for the ones that care for you! Please,Please wear your harness if you have one if you don't, please get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 47 Posts
10/14/14 @ 11:01 AM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
Beyond just a harnass I put lifelines on all of my stands, that way I'm "hooked in" from the second I leave the ground till my feet are back on the ground. Think about when most falls occur? When you are either getting into or out of your stand, without a life line you're not connected at these times.

For people that say a harnass and life line is to expensive do you think your family thinks it's to much for you to come home?

Post Your Comment
10/14/14 @ 10:44 AM
bigshuter
bigshuter
USER since 8/17/09
Prayers go out to all involved. I, for one, have been one of the foolish people that has never donned a harness in the stand. However, that has now changed with the purchase of my new Muddy Safeguard!!!

Post Your Comment
10/14/14 @ 9:14 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
My first year back bowhunting I didn't wear a harness....Bunch'a stupid excuses - I work in trees and am better than most,don't need no harness to sit on a chair no matter how high,blah blah blah...

I'm always tied in when climbing at work,often two different ways. Additionally,there's no chance of my falling asleep in a tree when working. I frequently doze off sitting in my stand.

Those bulky harnesses that come with stands seemed to be their own excuse not to wear them....Last year I discovered using rock climbing harnesses - small,light,doesn't take up much room in my pack - and it makes it much easier to set my climbing sticks and stand(I have never left a stand out overnight).

I hear guys like their HSS harnesses too.

There's no excuse for not wearing one. I was very wrong - and very lucky - that first year back bowhunting.

Post Your Comment
10/13/14 @ 10:00 PM
BOW NUT
BOW NUT
USER since 12/9/01
Thoughts and prayers go out to yourself and all involved!

Post Your Comment
10/13/14 @ 7:06 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
So sorry willfish.

Post Your Comment
10/13/14 @ 6:06 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
...sorry to hear that willfish. .. thoughts and prayers to all family and friends. I wear one all the time and so does my family. Used to hang billboards so I was used to being "hooked in". Bothers me that a few of friends don't wear them and one of their teenage sons doesn't either.

Post Your Comment
10/13/14 @ 11:59 AM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
USER since 1/1/10
My friend and I were just talking about this over the weekend. I've really been trying to push this on hunters around me. It's becoming one of the first things I ask them now before hunting. I've heard enough about other accidents and have been very good about wearing mine over the past 3 years since my daughter has been born. I'm no better than anyone else since i went 20 years and very seldom wore one, if I did it was once or twice during a season when i was hunting out a scetchy stand to begin with. The harness never really found a home in my bag. Now that its become a habit, I actually feel so much better when I'm wearing mine and confident while in the stand.

"we spend 1000's of dollars one bow's etc. we can afford a hundred bucks on a harness"

Very good point, and for a hundred bucks you can get a pretty nice/comfortable harness too.

Good luck hunters and be safe!

Post Your Comment
11/11/13 @ 11:40 AM
WindLaker1
WindLaker1
USER since 7/3/08
kidfish- They make reflective tacks that work really well. You just stick them to a tree or limb every 20-30 yards and you can easily follow them all the way to your stand with a flashlight. They sell them in the hunting section at most stores.

I make my own. Buy a box of thumbtacks and a roll of reflector tape in the Automotive Dept. Make them up while sitting in front on the idiot box.

Post Your Comment
11/8/13 @ 10:52 AM
Robin Hood
Robin Hood
USER since 10/12/09
Bobber scroll back to my post from 11/21/12 that's what works for me. On a side note what a crazy story in the news lately about the bow hunter that fell and chose to take himself off life support! Very sad story...

Post Your Comment
11/7/13 @ 4:44 PM
luv2hunt&fish
luv2hunt&fish
USER since 9/5/11
Kid fish I use these limb lights by hunter specialties! you can get them at walmart.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 47 Posts