plan of attack on a 6.5yr old public land buck?

11/8/12 @ 11:04 AM
ORIGINAL POST
adubs
adubs
USER since 12/4/06
Ok seasoned bow hunters I have a question for you guys... I have been hunting the same buck since '09 on public land in bayfield county. He is now clearly 6.5 yrs old and for the first time we have several daytime photos of him. Until this year everything we got of him was at night. He showed up about a mile away from where we always had pictures of him in the past and have always had a camera at the location he showed up on 3 out of 5 days last week. He was there one day at 7:30 am, then 1:00 pm & back at 4:45pm; then nothing, then 3:30pm another day, nothing the last day and then I checked my camera the following day early in the am. I'm heading up to hunt for him fri the 9th, sat, and sunday, (possibly monday too). My question is, although its the rut, would you go in silent with no sents or calls? Or would you go in with scent, grunt tube, doe can, decoy?? My thoughts are to go in silent as long as he's been showing up in the day time finally and sit the first couple days not using any calls or scent and if that doesn't work, then bring out the full arsenal. I Haven't had an opportunity to hunt many 6.5yr olds and want to close the deal before the army shows up for rifle season if possible. He isn't the highest scoring buck in the woods but the story behind him and all the history along with the mass he has would make him a true trophy in my eyes! Let me know your thoughts or experiences that you've had hunting wise ol' bucks Adubs
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 111 Posts
12/3/15 @ 12:27 PM
perchthriller
perchthriller
USER since 7/14/09
Man, that is a dandy buck right there scout

Post Your Comment
12/3/15 @ 11:38 AM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07
Well the big boy walked past my camera in daylight on Nov. 15 while I was hunting in Michigan. Safe to say that this buck will be the focus of all my attention this upcoming season. I am already dreaming of scouring the swamp for his sheds.

Any sightings Adubs?

Post Your Comment
11/18/15 @ 3:09 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07
Here is one more from this year...

Post Your Comment
11/18/15 @ 3:08 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07
Here are the last few photos I got of the big I call Big Luey. He is most likely a 5.5 or 6.5 yr old. He has a huge rack this season and you can bet I'll be after him during rifle season. The first two pics are from late season 2013 and I'm pretty sure its the same buck as the pics from this year. Tough to hunt area but gosh is he a sweet looking northwoods buck!

Post Your Comment
11/18/15 @ 10:25 AM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07
I know exactly how you feel adubs!! Those celebrity hunters can keep those 180" deer that they shoot on a 5 day hunt and have no history with other than what their guide has told them. I would rather shoot a 115" that I've chased for many seasons than some of these giants on TV. These big woods deer are tough as nails and smart as Einstein haha. After they reach 4 1/2 they become masters of their environment. There is no such thing as "hunting the wind" after they reach this age it seems, because if you hunt the wind that best suits you, guess what, thats not the wind that gives the buck the best advantage so he will not stroll past your stand in daylight. Its a tricky game and requires so much luck its unreal. I wish you the best in your quest adubs.

Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 5:19 PM
adubs
adubs
USER since 12/4/06
believe me Prop, I hear ya and honestly feel the same way. I would obviously take any chance I can get to harvest this buck but at the same time the chase year after year has added so many memories and fun times it would be sad to see it come to an end. This would be a great time to be able to hunt with a dart gun, put him to sleep, take pics, and let him be on his way. I've said it before and I'll say it again it is extremely unlikely that I will ever respect or admire a game animal more than I do this deer. He is truly a legend at our deer camp and gets talked about more than any other deer 10 to 1. And that includes a 154" 8pt and a 167" 10 pt that were harvested by my dad and brother. I can't imagine even wanting to put a tape on this guys rack, just cut a tooth and get him officially aged.

Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 4:51 PM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
I've been following this since the first post. I got to tell you I'm pulling for one of you. I don't think your going to like who. Big Smile I guess I just want to see how long this guy can go. If someone's going to take him out vs dying of old age. I hope it's you. One smart SOB. He has lot of offspring in those woods that sure haven't lived a quarter of his life. Good luck

Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 4:25 PM
adubs
adubs
USER since 12/4/06
I think I need to take some pointers from you and your dad scoutking07. You boys proved you got the skills by harvesting two old brutes last fall. (very jealous by the way as I know just how dang hard that is to do, especially on public land in the big woods) I've been chasing this same buck for A LOT of years and have only laid eyes on him once back in 2012. I'm hoping by some miracle we can harvest this old beast so we can create a throne for him in my house! It's such a great feeling to know he is still on his feet and doing well yet again this year! Certainly takes the energy level up a few notches heading into this weekend Wink

Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 3:29 PM
brews4995
brews4995
USER since 4/2/10
I have never seen a deer with a beer belly before. That thing is huge.

Post Your Comment
11/17/15 @ 3:06 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07
WOW! I can't believe he lives!! This year was a good one for antler growth and he made the best of it. I'm very excited that you get to hunt this deer another year adubs, you had better make the most of it because he wont live forever haha. Awesome deer

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 111 Posts