October lull

10/5/15 @ 8:58 PM
ORIGINAL POST
pknapp
pknapp
USER since 9/12/15
Anyone else believe in the October lull?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 132 Posts
10/22/15 @ 9:24 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01
Nice buck Dlama. I also like the bed of brassicas he is laying in. That commitment to habitat is probably another reason you had a good hunt.

I went up last weekend. Friday night I saw only 6 deer, but was sitting in a spot where you don't typically see a ton of deer. I picked it because there were 3 nice bucks frequently on camera near there, so wanted to lay my eyes on one of them. I did see one of them, and passed him at about 20 years. Nice buck with long beams. Got one of his sheds this spring. Hoping he gets 1 more year. That is the buck in the first picture. My dad was sitting on one of our good spots, and I think he saw 7 bucks and a bunch of does. 2 or 3 of the bucks were 3.5's or maybe bigger.

Saturday morning was my best hunt. Saw 6 bucks and 1 very large bodied unknown deer as well as some does. One of the bucks was a big wide 8, as seen in the 2nd picture. When I saw him, he was about 80 yards or so away working the edge of a swamp right by one of our other stands. Believe he is 5.5 years old. We seem to see him more in person than on trail cam, which is weird. Only hunted until 9AM as I had some things to do around camp. Waited for a break in the action and snuck out. Seen deer the rest of the weekend as well, just Friday night and Saturday morning were the best.

Got a picture of a buck shot about 10 miles from my house about a week ago. I am told it scores 186", and I believe it. That is in addition to another one I know if getting shot in the area that probably goes about 170" gross. Also know of a few other nice bucks going down in the last week. Never did have a lull in the action at my place this year. There were no hunters on some of the very warm weekends though.

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 8:18 PM
lookn' 4 PnY
lookn' 4 PnY
USER since 7/15/05
Nice buck D. Hearing of a bunch of good bucks taken this past weekend. If your sitting on the couch waiting for Nov, your missing out.

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 6:03 PM
browning3
browning3
USER since 5/23/02
Nice buck Chris (DLAMA)!

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 10:48 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14
Nice buck D! I like the bladed brows and the stickers. very cool.

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 10:42 AM
DLAMA2
DLAMA2
USER since 5/1/05
Columbia

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 9:25 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
USER since 1/11/05
Nice buck D2, congratulations. What county?

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 9:19 AM
DLAMA2
DLAMA2
USER since 5/1/05
Four deer in 1.5 hours eating acorns. Moving from the time I got in the stand to when I backed out after the shot.

Lull is equated to pressure in my book.

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 8:18 AM
northernexsposure
northernexsposure
USER since 3/15/08
North central public woods-have seen at least 1 deer every time out until this weekend Fri night-sat on the edge of a 10 year old clear cut that meets up with oak woods, 0 deer seen Sat night- sat in between a swamp and a corn field, 0 deer seen Sun morning -sat in the swamp, kicked a couple up in the dark, 0 deer seen Tons of scrapes freshened up daily, must be all night time movement. Grouse hunters were out in full force keeping the deer hidden. I am sticking to me theory of once the leaves drop heavily there is a week or so that the daytime movement is less(lull). Happens every year in my area.

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 6:48 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14
Friday night some little bucks running around, few doe feeding. Nice cold night and deer where out by 445. Sat morn, only one buck but it was a really nice buck, 3 year old. Upper 120' maybe 30's 10 pt. I almost shot him too. Split g3. All I kept thinking was it's too early in the year. By that time he was at 28 yards and I just watched him walk off. Beautiful deer. Sat night, pile of does and small bucks, sund morn one year and a half 8 pt.

Post Your Comment
10/17/15 @ 12:10 AM
cabinbum
cabinbum
USER since 4/1/10
pre rut is ramping up gents....have fun, shoot straight.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 132 Posts