My goal for this year

6/18/15 @ 9:35 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Scott2
Scott2
USER since 7/7/01
I want to kill a deer with my dad's old recurve. He let me and my sister shoot it at targets behind our house in the city when we were little. He doesn't bowhunt, but I want to prove to him that I can kill a deer effectively with the very same bow. It's not irresponsible as it has a 35 lb draw weight and I've been shooting with it for at least 3 months and plan to shoot daily until bow season. I've told him of this goal and he thinks I'm crazy, but I'm getting pretty darn good with it and it does offer a decent amount of penetration. I won't take a shot over 15 or so yards with it, but I think it's a realistic goal. I respect deer more than anyone I know and this isn't entirely about proving a point, it's because I truly want to take a deer with a recurve and it would make it all the more special if it was with the one my dad unknowingly opened me up to the awesome world of bowhunting with. To add, I think I've added some draw weight to what the bow states on account of I'm 6'2" and am pulling hard on that old bow, I may be wrong, but it sure drills into my bag target.
Edited on 6/18/15 9:40 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
6/22/15 @ 7:04 PM
chuckc
chuckc
USER since 3/21/14
Hunting off the ground was the only way it was done years ago, and frankly, I do most of my hunting off the ground. My doe last year was killed at 5 paces, off the ground, no pop up blind, with a 74# Hill style longbow. You can do it. As a matter of fact, in that area you speak of, the ground would be my absolute first choice, especially since nobody else will be there to screw it up !

Get rid of the vanes. They can work but are not meant for that application, although you CAN slap on an elevated rest (several stick on's are available) and still use them. My recommendation is to get arrows that fit the bow first, equipped with feathers, likely 3-5" feathers. Sure there are others, 3", 4", four fletch, but just staert with 3-5" feathers of your choice of cut style. It would be a great idea to keep one of the arrows naked, and use it for tuning, to see how closely they are matched / compatible for your bow set up.

Visit a traditional site that will help you. A couple come to mind that have great guys with tons of experience and they won't bash you for asking any question if you are sincere. They have rules about that and are pretty strict about them.

tradgang.com is one of them. I am ChuckC on tradgang

That right there will take years off your learning curve.

Post Your Comment
6/22/15 @ 10:58 AM
Scott2
Scott2
USER since 7/7/01
Thanks for all the help guys! I have indeed been using the arrows from my compound and they have vanes on them. They fly pretty well, but I am shooting off the shelf so they do seem to kick out a bit. I plan to get arrows more suitable to the bow soon, with feathers. The only downfall to this new challenge is that I've been neglecting my compound lol. That and the fact that I have a stellar spot out in a public marsh and most of the shots are 20+ yds on account of it being the only tree for about 400 yds. Have a buck on cam that we had last yr coming through almost daily n he was over 160 then. Maybe I'll have to hunt off the ground lol

Post Your Comment
6/21/15 @ 7:52 AM
SB Dad
SB Dad
USER since 8/16/09
Scott,if you are shooting off the shelf,feathers will fly better than vanes.

Post Your Comment
6/20/15 @ 10:23 AM
chuckc
chuckc
USER since 3/21/14
Scott, I have been shooting trad much of my life. I build bows and arrows ( and almost everything else).

I don't take as long a shot as some of my compound brethren talk of, but other than that, I really don't think you give up anything at all to a compound. The arrow is certainly capable of killing the deer out well past 100 yards, but I can't assure a responsible hit out there. Stick bows are hunting machines, if you do your part. That means practice.

I also hunt public only. I kill deer every year. I usually kill a doe early, for the freezer and then wait for the buck. I very often let them all walk and end up shooting no buck at all cause I am liking the hunt and don't want it to end. But not always.

Forty pounds is plenty, and that longer draw length counts for a lil added zip too. Are you using the arrows that you used for your compound or are they spined for the recurve ?

Yell if you have any more questions. It is a good goal and it just may change the way you hunt. ChuckC

Post Your Comment
6/20/15 @ 9:03 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
Yes you will have at least 40lb and the two blade is a great broadhead for a light draw bow.Most of the guys I know that shoot traditional bows try to shoot around 7to 10 grains of arrow weight per inch.I did the same thing you are thiking of doing.It took two seasons but I ended up shooting a very nice buck to this day its the biggest racked deer, I have shot gun or bow.I would try to set up a little lower in the tree then you would with a more powerfull bow though.Good luck with your journey

Post Your Comment
6/20/15 @ 1:27 AM
Scott2
Scott2
USER since 7/7/01
Chuck, my draw length is 30", so thank you sbdad for clarifying on the added draw weight. I'm using gold tip carbons, not sure on total arrow weight, but I've been shooting 100 grain field points and stinger buzz cut 100 grain two blade heads and they've been flying well. I hunt strictly public, so I'm inclined to wait to use the bow until after/if I kill a buck, but I'm reconsidering that after shooting so much and having so much fun with it. All that said, I assure you I have already established a range of 15 yards or less and I've never been one to take marginal shots, so that part will be easy. Thanks for the replies and insight guys!

Post Your Comment
6/19/15 @ 3:31 PM
SB Dad
SB Dad
USER since 8/16/09
The bow is probably 35 pounds at a28 inch draw.At 6' 2" you maybe pulling close to a30 inch draw.A rule of thumb is 2 to 3 pounds per inch over 28,so you should be around 40 pounds.Plenty to kill a deer at short yardages.good luck!Hunting with trad bows is a great.

Post Your Comment
6/19/15 @ 1:48 PM
chuckc
chuckc
USER since 3/21/14
Scott, you can do it, but as you said, you need to establish some rules and stick to them.

One.. distance. Keep it short. Become a better hunter and position for a very close shot.

Two. . only take very good shots. Do not go for those marginal shots that you can get by with with a higher poundage compound. Do it right.

Three. . us a very sharp broadhead, on an arrow that is flying well at the range you expect to shoot. You want a stabilized arrow when it strikes the deer, not one still waving around due to archers paradox. I really recommend a good solid two blade cut on contact head. Not a mechanical head for this rig.

Four. . Have fun doing this.

Can you talk more about your equipment ( arrows being used, head weight, total arrow weight, draw length, etc ) Chuck

Post Your Comment