MONEY SHOT

8/25/14 @ 10:52 PM
ORIGINAL POST
OUTDOORCRITTER
OUTDOORCRITTER
USER since 2/5/12
Alrighty BOWHUNTERS, its that time of the year again and I am pumped. My question to all you hunters out there who prefer Archery Season over Gun Season (like I do). Do you prefer a standing or sitting shot from a elevated height? Also, how high is to high for you? Just wondering how other people hunt. Good luck and have a good safe season. OUTDOORCRITTER
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
8/28/14 @ 6:57 PM
lookn' 4 PnY
lookn' 4 PnY
USER since 7/15/05
I am very comfortable shooting while sitting so depending on where the animal is I will stay seated if I can. It is far less movement and more stable for me. Where I hunt 15-18ft is plenty high enough.

Post Your Comment
8/28/14 @ 6:51 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
Prefer standing but take what I can get. A few of my spots do not give me a chance to see the deer until they are too close to stand up. I practice shooting sitting while elevated. Sitting can leave you in an awkward position. Missed the biggest buck of my life at about 10 yards. I was 20 feet up and he wouldn't stop walking in straight to my stand.

Post Your Comment
8/28/14 @ 5:54 PM
Horble
Horble
USER since 4/11/08
As my age climbs my elevation drops but still using a Lone Wolf climber. I try not to go higher than 15 ft. and that has not been an issue. In my 43 years of bowhunting I would guess that 80% of the deer have been shot while I was sitting, but I try to get the seat up where I am almost standing. I prefer a standing shot.

Post Your Comment
8/27/14 @ 9:23 AM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
I much prefer archery to gun. From a tree I only shoot standing up. That said, I do a lot of bow hunting from the ground and actually prefer to be on the ground except in a few areas and circumstances. I have killed deer from the ground sitting on a split log, standing and from a kneeling position. All positions I practice throughout the year so im comfy with any of them.

I don't have any stand higher than 18ft.

Post Your Comment
8/26/14 @ 1:34 PM
bowtech Dee
bowtech Dee
USER since 10/23/12
I prefer a standing shot. I usually use my climber to about 18-22 feet or so. When i am bowhunting from my gun stand its 17 feet. Just counting down the days Big Smile

Post Your Comment
8/26/14 @ 1:08 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
I prefer to be standing when I shoot, but I feel comfortable sitting if it comes down to it. Most of my stands are ladder stands in the 16'-20' range except for one thats only 12' because of the low canopy in that area. We also have several elevated box towers for rifle season that are anywhere from 12'-28', but I'm not a fan of archery hunting from those. This season I just picked up my first hang on stand with 20' sticks, but I only plan on going up about 15'-16' because of the area it's going.

Post Your Comment
8/26/14 @ 7:48 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
Every deer I've shot has been from a 15' - 18' ladder stand while standing. I've only taken one sitting shot, and that was a 25 yarder at a fox several years ago. I drilled him and have a cool pelt on the wall Smile

Post Your Comment
8/26/14 @ 7:37 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I like to be standing. I hunt out of 15' ladders and shot a lot of deer but I might be upping that to 20' this year. I hunt in a climber a lot too and I tend to go higher in that. Makes it easier, can get away with a little more.

Post Your Comment
8/26/14 @ 12:31 AM
brews4995
brews4995
USER since 4/2/10
I prefer a standing shot. I stand up roughly 30% of the time anyway, just don't get comfortable in most stands sitting although I have started replacing some old hand on's with stands that have the chair and man those are nice. Makes hunting long days so much more comfortable. My 3 best stands are those types now. I stand up as soon as I see a deer so I am ready when and if the time comes. Only time I would take a sitting shot is if I have no chance to stand up.

As far as height, I prefer 15-18 foot range. Much over that makes me nervous and I don't like the angle on close shots, so I keep it under 18'. I just make up for the lower height with picking stands that have some cover or I put some branches around to help hide me. Works for me.

Post Your Comment