Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 12:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Alex the dog
Alex the dog
USER since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Post Your Comment
Displaying 81 to 90 of 733 Posts
4/10/18 @ 9:48 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

"He said as far as the DNR is concerned the Crossbow is very valuable at helping out with the deerkill." 

And that has been my point all along.  The DNR is only concerned about the number of deer killed, and any method or season that helps that effort is welcomed by DNR.  It has to come to a point where us as customers have to demand the DNR to stop slaughtering deer, or license sale losses will curtail at faster and faster rates.  

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 8:13 AM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

Again, they do not issue the permits that way any longer. $$$$$$$$$ And,, most  folks can draw those same thoughts as you rationally, however the folks that drove this chose a different path.

Edited on 4/10/18 8:16 AM
Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 8:10 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Fishgod - I can name on one hand the guys that bow hunt into January.  It won't make a difference.  Guys aren't out in 10 degree weather w a bow to play patty cakes. 

I'm out for one more doe or a mature buck.  Late season hunting most don't go out simply because they don't have a food source.  If you don't have a food source near that deer are going to or food on the land you hunt,  you aren't seeing deer.  It's really not even worth it at that point.  I suppose people are throwing out corn...anyway,  extending the bow season through Jan is awesome.  Id rather hunt Jan than Sept to mid Oct.

Actually most don't go out cause they don't have the balls.  pretty simple.  I don't even need to kill deer,  I just want to hunt.

Edited on 4/10/18 8:17 AM
Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 7:56 AM
OO Buckshot
OO Buckshot
USER since 10/4/05

I got a disable permit years ago after an injury and honestly it was very easy to get print a form off the dnr website bring it to your doctor and get it signed I was surprised how easy it was.  If we look at the harvest numbers it is easy to see that roughly half as many people bought a crossbow license than bought a regularly archery license but still killed more deer than those who used a regular bow.  As for the 100 yard claim I dont believe most people would ever shoot at a deer 100 yards away with a crossbow but the manufactures are using that point to help drive sales to push the point that crossbows can give you the edge to extend your range.  I know several people that switched from regular to crossbow and its always the same reason.  "Its easier, I dont have to draw back and hold it, I have a scope and can use a rest and make easy shots out to 40-50"

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 7:36 AM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

He was right the DNR had nothing to do with this. The organization would be the WBH. The other party with a deep involvement in this would be a NRB member. Folks on other sites are already complaining that people didnt read the question, that these groups do not want to take away our crossbows, that its a piece of cake to get a disabled permit. But the reality of it is, folks did in fact read the question. They asked follow up questions, they found out that the prime time of the season would be eliminated, they found out that most insurance companies will not pay for the tests to get the permit, they found out who was behind the questions.  They found out that there was a lot of questions about the data used. They also saw the dishonest claims by groups that should know better, claiming that crossbows were just as effective as a firearm at 100 yards. I have no problem with peoples opinions on a matter, I have a serious problem when people resort to dishonest and misleading reporting to support their cause or position. 

Edited on 4/10/18 7:37 AM
Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 7:32 AM
OO Buckshot
OO Buckshot
USER since 10/4/05

Its a simple question to answer.  The DNR doesn't care about about the herd its all about the money.  By any means as long as they get their license sales.  The longer seasons expansion of weapons is all the push to drive more license and tag sales.  The number deer shot in the later season is low because a lot of people aren't willing to get out to deer hunt that late into the season.  Ice fishing has kicked off and most are just burned out from the long grind of chasing deer since september.   At this point sales are the driver the DNR knows that license sales are going to drop significantly over the next 10-15.  With Baby boomers dropping out I would expect gun license sales to drop more than 100,000 over the next 10 years so the DNR will propose everything under the sun to get more people buying licenses.

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 6:50 AM
fishgodwi
fishgodwi
USER since 7/28/10

Was at the deer & turkey expo n madison over the wknd. Lots and lots of xbow displays and related things there at the various booths. Prolly more or just as much displays as regular bows. The xbow is here to stay, plain and simple. Then at the dnr booth n the corner, they had a map of entire state and diff counties highlighted that they want to extend the archery season to Jan 31 starting n 2019. When is enough killing, enough?  Y cant they just leave things alone, and let the deer b? They get enough pressure sept-beginning jan. Dont need another frickn month to stress and pressure them n winter time. Why is it kill kill kill with the dnr all the time?

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 6:17 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

See the thing is,  it doesn't bother me.  I have my opinion on able-bodies shooting them,  but if they like it...go for it!  My opinion of anyone doesn't hold water. 

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 6:05 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

The real whining will start when the crossbow season stays unchanged.  From what I've heard and read, the DNR and Walker have absolutely no plans to change anything.

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 5:38 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

The crossbow boys were whining at the meeting tonight . He’s a tip for you ladies it’s supposed to be challenging. 

I tend to agree with Pike.  If you aren't 55 or over or disabled,  wait for gun season.  However,  an easy solution is a 1 buck state.  Half would drop out.

I don't want to make any of this against the people that need the Xbow to stay and enjoy the woods.  

Edited on 4/10/18 5:42 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 81 to 90 of 733 Posts