Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 12:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Alex the dog
Alex the dog
USER since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Post Your Comment
Displaying 70 to 79 of 191 Posts
2/8/18 @ 3:34 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Everything changes and that's why you make the most of your hunting and fishing time TODAY. Because tomorrow it will be gone....... in the sense of how you remembered it.

I don't want to be involved in this pixxing match, nor do I have a dog in the fight.  But truer words were never written.  The older I get, the truer those words become.

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 2:18 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

you sure did.

It's 2018,  move over compounds,  now it's time for Xbows....sure pal.  

Edited on 2/8/18 2:21 PM
Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 12:58 PM
Red Eagle
Red Eagle
USER since 12/17/16

LB, I put you in your place on lake link. Go cry somewhere else.

Edited on 2/8/18 2:05 PM
Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 12:40 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

That is an extremely foolish statement for anyone to say and shows ignorance and selfishness.

Red Eagle,  thanks I appreciate it.  

Not caring about losing hunters and not agreeing with the sale of public lands has absolutely ZERO correlation.  

I do like your attempt on putting together a reasonable argument to bash me and my view points you don't like.  Are you one of the guys I speak of?   

I am totally against the sale of public lands because Scott Walker will continue to rob Peter to pay Paul.  he will sell his sole to the devil if it makes 51% of the people happy.  Don't you understand?  Eventually it will be no more....then as you say,  hunting will be an Elitist sport only rich can partake in.  

BTW, Public land sales will never be because of a declining hunter numbers.  it will be all lies and deception and sold on greed.  If you think otherwise you are the foolish one.  

Edited on 2/8/18 12:56 PM
Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 11:08 AM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

“There is nothing out there that I have seen, or that DNR has touted, that more bucks survive in areas where baiting is banned.”

I just did a little ciphering. From 2015 (baseline last baiting year) to 2017, the three non bait counties combined saw the total buck (gun, xbow, vertical) harvest increase by 26% (3,925 in 15 to 4,926 in 17). The vertical bow buck harvest dropped -24% (624 to 473) while the xbow harvest increased 8% (795 to 858) over this time. Gun harvest was up 45%. 

I then added up four adjacent counties as a control. Florence and Price were directly adjacent and I also used Sawyer and Ashland to even things out because Price and Florence have had some doe harvest for at least 2 of the three years while Sawyer had doe harvest in 17 and Ashland did not. I didn’t include Iron county because so few deer are harvested and I considered it an outlier. 

These four counties saw a total (all weapons) antlered harvest increase of 59% (4860 to 7715) while crossbow harvest went up by 66% (900 to 1490) and vertical bow harvest went up 14% (752 to 856). Gun harvest was up 67%. 

All seven counties have somewhat similar habitats, similar winters, similar predator populations, and somewhat similarly sized (as a percentage) areas of public land.  Combining the experimental and control counties into one group gives a larger dataset. 

As a percentage, the baiting counties total antlered harvests increased 33% more than the total buck harvest in the three non baiting counties from 2015 to 2017. With this in mind, all things being equal, you could reasonably assume that if Oneida, Forest, and Vilas counties had not had a baiting ban, their harvests would have increased at a similar rate (50-60%). If this was indeed the case, at a 50% (5,888 bucks in 2017) harvest increase for instance, there would have been 928 more bucks harvested over 2016 and 2017. 928 more bucks in these three counties that are now (not counting other mortality like predation, I know cars and wolves will get some) that are now 2.5-3.5 years old or older on the landscape going into 2018. How is this a bad thing? Even if some hunters gave up and didn’t buy a license, you weren’t concerned about losing hunters over the inability to shoot two bucks, if they quit they quit who cares why? Better for all of us going forward. 

Edited on 2/8/18 11:12 AM
Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 10:41 AM
Red Eagle
Red Eagle
USER since 12/17/16

.Long Barrles you said a couple of posts down. "Great, go take up water polo, or watch a good WNBA game. To me, less hunter's mean a more quality herd". 

Then you complain about public land being sold. 

Do you know what the state of WI is going to do when they have less hunters and less revenue coming in??? They will sell loads of public land to make up for budget shortfall from having "less hunter's" AND they will justify it....... because there are "less hunters".

That is an extremely foolish statement for anyone to say and shows ignorance and selfishness.

Look at today's generation. Do you think one bit that this younger generation is going to go hunting with recurves and compounds for archery when they are brought up on laptops, game systems, and electronic everything? 

You lose your youth and you will lose your hunters and you will lose your public land. You will be modern day England in regards to hunting. Only the elite and rich will be able.

The 60's, 70's, and early 80's had the recurve, the late 80's, 90's, and 2000's up until 2014 the compound was king, now it is time for the crossbows, and in 30 years that will prolly change to the airbows. Everything changes and that's why you make the most of your hunting and fishing time TODAY. Because tomorrow it will be gone....... in the sense of how you remembered it.

Edited on 2/8/18 10:46 AM
Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 10:29 AM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

That is what is driving people to crossbows.  Why not crossbow hunt public land in September instead of that same public land during gun shooting season when 600,000 other hunters are about. 

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 10:00 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I get the access thing.  I used to live where there wasn't that much public land.  After losing our 2 main private spots due to land selling, I did a lot of knocking on doors to find a new spot. I hate doing that, feels like begging.

Now I live in a great area with lots of public options, many I haven't even had time to try yet.  I don't even look for private spots anymore.  Definitely matters where you live.

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 7:04 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I agree,  less access.  Lot's of public was sold,  much of it was land locked.  their theory was since it's land locked,  sell it.

My thought would have been force the private landowners into an easement deal.  The state pay them a good chunk of money and make it accessible by foot only.  

Our current trend in WI is privatization of everything.  More will go...

Post Your Comment
2/7/18 @ 7:16 PM
Eyetest
Eyetest
MEMBER since 7/12/01

The decline in hunting gun or otherwise is a direct result of hunters choice and bonus tags. Hunters went wild with the added tags. The herd around the state for the most part has never been able to rebound as a result. Hunters drank of the Do nothing right kool aid and now wonder why they don't  see deer.

Now as they aged and see nothing they are not hunting. When I first started hunting in the 60s it was no problem seeing 60 to 70 deer on opening weekend. Halfway thru hunters choice we were lucky to see 7. Great way for the dnr to start the demise of deer and hunters. Now everyone wonders what and why. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 70 to 79 of 191 Posts