Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 12:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Alex the dog
Alex the dog
USER since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Post Your Comment
Displaying 60 to 69 of 191 Posts
2/9/18 @ 12:51 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

Gotcha.  Baiting bans cause more bucks to make it ito next year in vilas and oneida counties, but not in washburn county.  You proved my point that bucks are dumber in washburn county.

Post Your Comment
2/9/18 @ 10:11 AM
icebelt
icebelt
USER since 10/22/13

Good job squeezer, your singing in my choir.

Post Your Comment
2/9/18 @ 9:58 AM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

“Again, sorry, the numbers don't show a higher increase in buck kill the year after the ban compared to surrounding counties. You can't make a clear conclusion on the data unless you are able to start getting buck age at harvest data.“

They wouldn’t necessarily show a larger increase. At the end of the day, there are MORE bucks surviving in the three counties than surrounding counties. My whole point is without baiting, it becomes not as easy for the typical Joe Cornpile to harvest deer, therefore less are harvested. Joe Cornpile’s success rate when watching a corn pile may be similar to Joe Brushbeater, who doesn’t use bait but Joe Cornpile’s success rate goes way down when he can’t put a corn pile behind the cabin. This would save more young bucks than going to one buck. Remember, in 2012 only 89% of hunters registered 1 or 0 deer, not bucks, but deer. People killing two bucks isn’t a problem. For the record, I have never killed two bucks in a year. And I’m fully on board with ending party hunting. 

As for Sawyer and Washburn, I did look at the buck harvest in those four ban counties vs all surrounding counties. Barron was the only county of the four that saw in increase (very little) in archery harvested bucks while Rusk was the only one of the six surrounding bait counties that saw a decrease ( very little). It’s obvious that baiting bans disproportionately affect archery hunters as evidenced by the crossbow harvest drop in the three counties in 2016. However, I don’t think this comparison was nearly as good as the Oneida vilas forest in that there was significant doe harvests in those counties in the years leading up to finding CwD in shell lake. The three counties (OFV) were in the third year of buck only so they should have been awash in 1.5 yo bucks in 2016 (70%). All things being equal, there’s no reason to believe that those three counties buck harvests wouldn’t mirror the trend set by neighboring counties. There’s also no reason to believe those three counties would be the only three in the state to see a DROP in crossbow harvest. 

Post Your Comment
2/9/18 @ 7:42 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Ice belt - I agree w you.  Maybe I should have put it differently.  Reduced taxes or a sum of money...lot's of people will do just about anything for money.  I'm sure there could have been other options but the state wasn't looking out for the people.  Everyone wants to talk about "how it used to be".  if the state keeps selling public,  having special seasons will mean little to nothing to the public land hunter 

Edited on 2/9/18 7:42 AM
Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 10:59 PM
yamatroller
yamatroller
USER since 5/7/06

You guys are coming up with all these deer harvest numbers but one thing you don't take into consideration is the wolf. We hunt some public land in Forest County and the last few years all I can say is shoot the first spike or fork you see before the wolves get him. We have had a few mild winters and there are still hardly any bucks shot up there compared to years ago. We don't have many mature bucks on camera even, so where did they go?? You would think with the baiting ban a few more bucks would make it  few years longer but I would blame the wolf before the crossbow!!

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 4:54 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

"If this was indeed the case, at a 50% (5,888 bucks in 2017) harvest increase for instance, there would have been 928 more bucks harvested over 2016 and 2017. 928 more bucks in these three counties that are now (not counting other mortality like predation, I know cars and wolves will get some) that are now 2.5-3.5 years old or older on the landscape going into 2018. "

Again, sorry, the numbers don't show a higher increase in buck kill the year after the ban compared to surrounding counties.  You can't make a clear conclusion on the data unless you are able to start getting buck age at harvest data.

Washburn County underwent a bait ban in 2012.  Sawyer County, where baiting was legal in 2012, had a lower increase in antlered buck harvest that year.  I suppose deer are just dumber in regards to bait piles a few miles west.  You obviously can't make conclusions on these numbers without more data.  Believe me, WDNR would be touting this if it were true and legitimate.

"Even if some hunters gave up and didn’t buy a license, you weren’t concerned about losing hunters over the inability to shoot two bucks, if they quit they quit who cares why? "

So, you think any right minded hunter is going to not buy a buck tag because they can no longer shoot the second buck?  Dear lord.  I will never get over guys needing to shoot two or more bucks a year.  Killing that second forked buck of the year is very important I guess to some people who "hunt."  

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 4:51 PM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12

JC, I apologize.  I misunderstood and mis-read your posts.

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 4:30 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

"JC, I normally agree you on most things, but I don't buy into any numbers/Data presented and this is why. WI DNR/CDAC's manage herd numbers to hunter satisfaction without priority on type of weapon/group, where you seem to be advocating managing to one group/weapon over another. "

I am actually not if you read my posts.  I couldn't care less how someone kills a buck if one buck tag was available, be it bow, gun, crossbow, atlatl, or bomb.  This levels the playing field for everyone.

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 4:22 PM
icebelt
icebelt
USER since 10/22/13

Long barrels at 7:04 am, if the state forces access for the public to hunt private property, that would be called communistic. Nobody will force me to open my land up. That post has nothing to do with extending the crossbow season for property owners.

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 4:13 PM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12

My thoughts:

A dead deer is a dead deer, by whatever means.

WI. DNR legacy/goals is not "Quality" buck management and has never been.

I will only use Eau Claire County for reference, but total buck kill is still at historically low levels has not not increased over the past four seasons. 

Based on people I know and their experiences, less lost wounded deer with a Crossbow.

None of us personally own any of these deer, (Bucks), so be happy for the other person.

I believe that access and lack of deer are the biggest reasons for drop-off of hunter numbers.

I am OK with one buck per year and think it would help resolve some issues.

I hunt with a Crossbow, I don't understand why I am considered a lower class citizen for ethically hunting with this weapon. Jealousy is how it comes across.  

JC, I normally agree you on most things, but I don't buy into any numbers/Data presented and this is why.  WI DNR/CDAC's manage herd numbers to hunter satisfaction without priority on type of weapon/group, where you seem to be advocating managing to one group/weapon over another. 

Ref: baiting, legal or illegal statewide, quit using CWD as an excuse.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 60 to 69 of 191 Posts