Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 12:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Alex the dog
Alex the dog
USER since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 191 Posts
2/13/18 @ 12:47 PM
Terrific_tom
Terrific_tom
USER since 6/9/08

Ere are you saying that the crossbow season won't be changed?

Post Your Comment
2/13/18 @ 9:28 AM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

That question has about as great a chance of passing as when the baiting questions were on the ballot. 

Post Your Comment
2/13/18 @ 7:28 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I agree LB, but that's the case everywhere to some extent.  I know there were some on here even complaining about people not coming up to hunt that normally did.  My assumption was those people still hunted, they just stayed in a different motel or whatever in a baiting county.  I was just thinking what I would do if I was in the situation where how I hunted was affected, I probably would just go somewhere else where I could do it.  I personally wouldn't care about baiting one way or another, but just speaking generally there had to be people who did that.  Especially with the abundant property to hunt up north, doesn't take much to change to a new location.  No idea how to tell how many did that though but it had to happen.

Edited on 2/13/18 7:29 AM
Post Your Comment
2/13/18 @ 7:03 AM
Terrific_tom
Terrific_tom
USER since 6/9/08

Here is the quetion that will be asked at Spring hearings.

Post Your Comment
2/12/18 @ 3:54 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

LB, I agree completely. Our registration numbers lack credibility for the reasons you gave. 

Post Your Comment
2/12/18 @ 1:48 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Just cause it's illegal you can't assume everyone stopped.  Couldn't that throw off numbers?  You also can't assume people called in their buck or any deer for that matter.  Statistics in WI are just numbers at this point. 

I know guys that called in all 3 doe tags for their county regardless of how many they shot....I'm just pointing out flaws in Wisconsin's broken system.  they wanted doe shot,  well there you have it,  they got em all.  lol

Edited on 2/12/18 1:56 PM
Post Your Comment
2/12/18 @ 10:05 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Are there any stats that show if hunters just up and moved due to the bait bans?  Say if they baited in Vilas, did they just move over to Price?  Since the assumption is Joe Cornpile can't shoot deer without his pile, then they'd have moved right?  Wouldn't that also throw off the numbers somewhat? 

Just a variable to consider anyways.  If less guys hunted Vilas, more bucks would also survive.  More would then get shot in the surrounding counties.  Would have to be banned everywhere to really know.  Many guys going up north to hunt do it once a year so they would just have to change their plans slightly.

Post Your Comment
2/9/18 @ 4:56 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

With that, I completely agree.

Post Your Comment
2/9/18 @ 3:27 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

Looks like there are far bigger problems than the crossbow.

Post Your Comment
2/9/18 @ 12:51 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

Gotcha.  Baiting bans cause more bucks to make it ito next year in vilas and oneida counties, but not in washburn county.  You proved my point that bucks are dumber in washburn county.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 191 Posts