Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 12:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Alex the dog
Alex the dog
USER since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Post Your Comment
Displaying 40 to 49 of 191 Posts
2/14/18 @ 8:23 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I'd have to disagree JC, I'd still take the old shotgun.  I've shot both, shotgun hands down.  Plus you can pump out multiple shots.  There is an arch at 60 yards for a crossbow and you have to contend with brush and the animal possibly moving.  I know people like to compare them to guns but they have more limitations.

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 8:14 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01

Apparently no-luck doesn't want to give up his gravy crossgun hunting.  For me, it's an easy 'Yes' answer next spring.  It is simply a gun with a string and the success rates of those who couldn't cut it bow hunting proves that point. 

Post Your Comment
2/13/18 @ 5:51 PM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12

From DNR website:

QUESTION 18:  Crossbows    In 2014 the Wisconsin Legislature established a crossbow season for deer hunting to help recruit new hunters and provide additional deer hunting opportunity at a more clement time of the year.        The legislation required the crossbow season run concurrent with the archery season for a minimum of two years to analyze the results and granted the DNR the authority and responsibility to adjust the crossbow season after the two-year trial.

The Legislature recognized crossbow technology would continue to advance and today some crossbows already rival shotguns with slugs in both range and accuracy.  

My Comment:  So do some vertical bows. 

The data is in. Crossbows did not produce the anticipated increase in deer hunter numbers.

My Comment:  Today I contacted two CC members who have not  seen or are aware of this "data".  I tried to contact a DNR official and have left an EMAIL asking for this Data.  I will post if I receive.                                          Also, it would follow that if the youth hunts have not increased the number of hunters, they should also be looked at and terminated or changed.

The long season did create a dramatic shift of hunters and bowhunters into the crossbow season where their odds (success rate) of harvesting a buck are approaching approximately 50% greater than those of either gun hunters or bowhunters in their respective seasons.

My comment: show me the Data.

This imbalance and the increased harvest of bucks before the traditional gun season has created frustration, concern and a further breakdown of Wisconsin’s deer hunting traditions.     

My comment:  Breakdown?  Please describe

In order to give all deer hunters an equal chance to harvest a buck, and to return the exclusive advantage of a long crossbow season to the disabled and elderly, it has been suggested to shorten the season for the ablebodied to reflect the effectiveness of the weapon based on harvest data.

My comment:  So we are all supposed to have an equal chance, since my buddy can only once a week, we should all only be able to hunt once a week.

18. Do you support the DNR adjusting the length of the crossbow season, for those that are not disabled or elderly, to better reflect harvest success rates of bucks similar to the gun season and archery season? 18. YES____ NO_____ 

Edited on 2/13/18 5:53 PM
Post Your Comment
2/13/18 @ 5:18 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

Lets get Dr Deer back for some warranty work, for what we payed him maybe some follow up. LOL. Sportsman for Walker. Greatest con in Wi DNR history. 

Post Your Comment
2/13/18 @ 4:17 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

Compared to the old time shotguns, I would rather have a crossbow.  Shooting at a target with an old open-sighted smooth bored 12 gauge at 60 yards cannot match the accuracy of today's crossbows with a scope.  Yes, the new rifled barreled scoped shotguns are much better.

That being said, I am fairly confident to say that no change to the crossbow season will be made.  Too many people spent too much money to buy crossbows, and got rid of their vertical bows.  Money talks.

That being said, that is why I strongly believe that something with our deer management has to change or people will quit at even a faster pace.  The DNR has perfectly achieved the result of how our deer management is designed for most of the state.  Not only are we at dramatically low numbers of deer, we also have achieved a buck age structure that is impossible to get any worse for much of the state.  Perfectly done.  The DNR continues to manage only to sustain low deer populations, and ignores quality with our deer herd.  We are stuck with seeing few deer, but I could live with that if there was more than a remote chance of at least seeing a 3.5 or older buck in this area.  The more seasons and the more efficient weapons that get introduced will continue to erode our deer hunting enjoyment.  Something has to be done a bit differently.

Post Your Comment
2/13/18 @ 3:13 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

My dad hit a branch during a shot from his crossbow a few years ago and his bolt shattered into pieces. Didn't just deflect like a compound typically would, he just found splintered pieces (TenPoint).  So a slug would hit that small branch and just completely shatter....haha.  Even crossbows drop from 20-30 yards or 20-40.  Never realized slugs did that.

That's how stupid that comparison is.  Could you imagine all the crossbow people trading them in for shotguns.  I'd take my old smooth bore 870 over any crossbow.

One thing I heard with crossbows is that quite a few people found out they are not guns after taking stupid shots through brush and all that.  Still an arrow, just a faster one.  Many things can happen to it and it does drop yet.

Edited on 2/13/18 3:15 PM
Post Your Comment
2/13/18 @ 2:53 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

OK, Get a hold of this months wisconsin outdoor news, several articles relating to this question or topic. Same BS statements almost word for word on the shotgun comparison. 

Post Your Comment
2/13/18 @ 2:23 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

The question said "some crossbows rival shotgun slugs in range and accuracy."

Edited on 2/13/18 2:24 PM
Post Your Comment
2/13/18 @ 2:18 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

Who made that comparison?

Post Your Comment
2/13/18 @ 2:03 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

Its fairly obvious how whomever wrote that question feels.

Your going to compare the bottom end slug gun against the top end crossbow and say they have similar capabilities as a general statement.

What a joke!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 40 to 49 of 191 Posts