Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 12:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Alex the dog
Alex the dog
USER since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Post Your Comment
Displaying 40 to 49 of 733 Posts
4/11/18 @ 5:16 PM
Western Extreme
Western Extreme
USER since 12/17/17

I have inquired the route to take to get Kazmierski removed from the NRB board. I've contacted Gov Walker and Sean Duffy to figure out this route of action. 

Post Your Comment
4/11/18 @ 5:13 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

JC; Your comparison brush has some pretty broad strokes.

Post Your Comment
4/11/18 @ 4:59 PM
Western Extreme
Western Extreme
USER since 12/17/17

When will the minutes and motions be posted for NRB meeting today? 

Post Your Comment
4/11/18 @ 4:22 PM
oldhunter
oldhunter
USER since 2/28/13

Here is a link:

Contact Link

Fish Hound  -  Thank you, I should have included the link in my post.

Edited on 4/11/18 4:28 PM
Post Your Comment
4/11/18 @ 3:54 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

"Then he wants to call the people that voted No are now stupid and can’t comprehend the question."

Frankly, there would have been a lot more "no" votes had the Spring Hearings caught up with modern times and allowed people to vote online.  The people that show up to these things in droves are typically the people with the most to lose.  The "no" voters aren't stupid, they just want everything they can get.  Most years there are few people that actually show interest in attending.  Threaten to regulate someone, and people come a flyin' in like this year.

Had a question been posed allowing hunters to harvest 2 bucks per year regardless of weapon, it likely would have passed also.  Is it best for deer management/hunter retention to allow a bowhunter or rifle hunter to shoot 2 bucks per year?  No.  Is it best for those that need to kill?  Yes.  That is why, to me, these Spring Hearings are simply a "wish list" in most cases, and are not being voted on by people that want to necessarily protect a resource.  Not singling out crossbows here specifically however.  It is similar, to me anyway, as to voters voting for more welfare and more government assistance.  Those on government assistance will never vote against government assistance.  

Whether you agree or not, Kaz's numbers are derived from DNR harvest numbers.  Whether you agree or not, you cannot say that crossbows are not more efficient at killing deer than a vertical bow.  He does have a point.  Who knows what will happen, but I agree other things can and should be done outside of just crossbow regulation to better manage this excuse for a deer herd.

Post Your Comment
4/11/18 @ 3:35 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
Post Your Comment
4/11/18 @ 3:12 PM
oldhunter
oldhunter
USER since 2/28/13

Kazmierski is well noted for twisting facts and figures to his benefit. Basically the figures and graphs he used were his own interpretations, and not the DNR's. I got the impression he was even chastising the DNR for their incorrect representation of accurate numbers. Fortunately, enough people are aware of his agendas and actions to see through him and his bovine fertilizer.

What can be done at this point, is for all people concerned, is to call as many Naturals Resources board members as possible and express your opinions and concerns. All of their contact phone numbers can be found on their link on the WIDNR website.

Post Your Comment
4/11/18 @ 3:09 PM
oldhunter
oldhunter
USER since 2/28/13

ERE :  "He asked for a study, options. Nothing was 'ordered'. Anyone wondering, Kaz is no friend of the crossbow. His ability to spin numbers is incredible. He even went so far as to say that the outcome of the vote was because of 'confused' voters. making a comment that he has no horse in the race even though 40% of his revenue at Buckrub is crossbow sales made me choke. I can think of many arguments to counter that weak claim.Even more telling is the fact that this item was added to the agenda in a very short time span, (the day after the vote) zero opportunity for public comment. His other comments wanting everyone present to know how instrumental the WBH was in helping us crossbow hunters get a season in the first place had me heading for the bathroom. Folks better keep this on the radar, I dont trust this guy any farther than I could throw him."

ERE :    VERY WELL PUT. 

Post Your Comment
4/11/18 @ 2:55 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

Here a quote from 2009 that should be brought up to Kaz, guess he wants it both ways.

'Greg Kazmierski, president of the Safari Club International Dairyland Committee, declared the DNR "habitually acts contrary to the public will" and urged the legislature to impose greater oversight authority.'

Edited on 4/11/18 2:57 PM
Post Your Comment
4/11/18 @ 2:49 PM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

Kaz is only one of seven on the board so he’d have to get three more to agree. Plus all administrative rules go through like 2 different legislative reviews, public comment and have to be approved by the governor, which takes like two years. That is unless they go the emergency rule route, but I think that has to be renewed every year. 

Does anyone know where Kleefisch is on this? It takes just one representative to add it in some budget bill in the middle of the night, which seems to be the go to route nowadays. Jarchow is done, Mursau? The governor? They all could be out by November anyway the way it’s going then things really change. Governor Soglin installs Rod Coronado as secretary and Melissa Smith and Patricia Randolph to the NRB. And some worry about too many bucks being shot....

Edited on 4/11/18 2:50 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 40 to 49 of 733 Posts