Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 12:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Alex the dog
Alex the dog
USER since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Post Your Comment
Displaying 30 to 39 of 191 Posts
2/14/18 @ 10:22 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I also agree with Fishhound,  it's not a Xbow issue for quality and age structure issues.  It's the culture, period. 

I don't like Xbows for that group of people that are able,  however i'd rather have more Xbow hunters hunting early season than pushing deer all over the state getting hot lead flung at them.  Gun season,  group bagging, drives, shining...all the stuff needs to be looked at and changed.  None of that crap can make the quality better.  Only in WI can you pull up to deer in a field in sept 200 yards away and they blow out of there like you set off a bomb.  

Edited on 2/14/18 10:25 AM
Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 10:19 AM
syracusesteve
syracusesteve
USER since 12/12/03
Next we should have a special gun season for anybody using more than a 30.30.  How bout you use what you want and I'll do the same.  

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 10:19 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

No luck - i agree with you.  All my posts opposing anything Xbow is aimed at non disabled and people under 55 or whatever that age used to be.

For you to switch,  I totally understand and I 100% support your efforts in continuing to hunt and get out with buddies. 

As for a 25 year old that claims he doesn't have time to shoot then runs out for a Xbow...that I don't support.  

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 10:10 AM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12

Great Outdoors, obviously I will be voting no.

Three buddies and myself have switched to crossbows the past three seasons, we are all between 58 and 63.  Biggest reason for the switch is that we all are finding it more difficult to stand up in a tree stand, pull back a vertical bow, and feel safe with our balance.  A crossbow allows us to shoot from a sitting position and be safe.  Crossbow's also allow us to hunt from ground blinds.

I don't understand the condescension displayed by vertical bow hunters towards crossbow hunters on this thread.

Success rate wise our harvest rates have remained the same from when we hunted with vertical bows.

Crossbow has allowed my wife to archery hunt, we sit together and she uses my bow, she got a buck this past fall, her first, great moment.

Edited on 2/14/18 10:11 AM
Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 9:36 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

So one industry can continue to make all the improvements possible (shorter, faster, quieter) and it's okay because "it's vertical" but a horizontal model is for those that can't cut it with a "real bow". Go back to your recurve bow and finger shooting and get off that high horse!

Some of the best Whitetail states in the US allow crossbows but still have outstanding numbers and age structure. Here's a hint, our issue is not because some hunters shoot a crossbow!

Edited on 2/14/18 9:46 AM
Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 9:35 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

"Ravin shooting grapefruit sized groups at 100 yards with 100 yard calibrated scopes, I know which one I would find more effective"

Again you are comparing a $200 shotgun to a $2,000 crossbow, not at all the same.

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 9:18 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Apparently no-luck doesn't want to give up his gravy crossgun hunting. For me, it's an easy 'Yes' answer next spring. It is simply a gun with a string and the success rates of those who couldn't cut it bow hunting proves that point.

Great Outdoors,  I like you buddy.

Edited on 2/14/18 9:18 AM
Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 9:14 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14
I'd take a blow gun or spear over both.  At least it would be a challenge.

Edited on 2/14/18 9:15 AM
Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 9:06 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

Really?  Sitting on the edge of a food plot with my old smooth bored 12 gauge with open sights, I would be lucky to hit a pie plate at 50 yards.  Yes, the newer rifle barreled shotguns are much better obviously, and yes obviously better than crossbows.  When you see commercials from Ravin shooting grapefruit sized groups at 100 yards with 100 yard calibrated scopes, I know which one I would find more effective. 

Muzzeloaders have become a joke also.  Another change from our regulators to allow scopes on these, and the range of these things keep extending.  We really don't use "primitive weapons" anymore.  Adding more and more seasons, and allowing more and more effective weapons has obviously impacted the herd.

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 9:06 AM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12

I'l be there voting "YES" as well.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 30 to 39 of 191 Posts