Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 12:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Alex the dog
Alex the dog
USER since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Post Your Comment
Displaying 21 to 30 of 191 Posts
2/15/18 @ 9:33 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

I am not as fired up about crossbows as others, but my point has been that by adding additional seasons (youth hunt, muzzleloader), extending seasons (archery/crossbow), allowing more effective weapons (crossbows, scoped muzzleloaders) we have gotten to a point where we are seeing a mass casualty of hunter losses.  

I see it as one of two fixes: 1) start reducing seasons, restricting weapons, and/or shorten seasons, or 2) reduce the number of tags (either buck tags and/or doe tags, ban party tagging).  There are always going to be people fighting based on their own greed, but something has to be done or we will continue hearing much more negatives than positives with the state of our deer hunting.  For the normal guy who busts his tail looking for a mature buck in a lot of the state, it gets disheartening to know that in all liklihood you don't even have a chance to see a 3.5 year old buck.  Seeing a deer is a challenge in much of the state.  We currently sit with a herd that has been depleted, and no attempts being made to improve the quality of the herd.  Perfectly done to anger the meat hunter and the trophy hunter.  That is hard to do, and WDNR managed to do it.  Well done!

Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 9:32 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
USER since 1/5/05

Why are so many of you grown men crying about restricting compounds if your precious xbows get resticted? I find it funny. Bow hunting is my thing so I would switch to a long bow in a heart beat if I was forced to. Hell I would welcome the change because it would take 99% of the hunters out of the woods. Real bow hunters who have been bow hunting for years would make the switch. Able bodied people that dont "need" to shoot an xbow would never dare switch to a long bow. They would actualy have to practice then.

I have been against able bodied people using xbows since the idea came up and I was dead on for my area. The bow hunting has went to heck because there are about 5 times the people out in the woods now. This is giant 20,000+ acres of public land. I have an interesting perspective on the xbows though because they have given me some of my best hunting memories ever the last two years. My dad was able to harvest two incredible bucks and my wife was able to take her first deer ever at 7 months pregnant both using an xbow. So I can honestly see the argument from both sides of the fence. 

Would I support a full on ban of them again for able bodied people... no way. Its too late for that now. Would I like it better if they had a shorter season... yes. I enjoying hunting for bigger older mature deer. I know how these deer operate during the late season and if a guy has food the deer will be there sooner or later. With a bow compound or long you still have to get drawn to get a shot without being seen while having 75 layers of clothing on. With the xbow its no different then gun season... pow... dead deer. I think we are going to see the age structure of our deer herd change dramatically the more xbow hunters we get. There will be very few deer making it to 4.5 years old. Thats saying a lot for my area since i ususally have several that age each year but it has been getting harder and harder to find them. Even the last couple of years I have been tracking older deer into the late season and several of them have been killed by xbow hunters around Xmas time coming to food when its colder than heck. Its like shooting fish in a barrel with an xbow in a heated ground blind.

Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 8:16 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01

No-luck, I'm not sure your stated rationale for voting no on the crossbow issue makes sense.  The existing legislation prior to this fiasco allowed for older and handicapped people to use crossguns during the regular archery season.  I have never run across anyone who has a problem with that.  Nor do I.  The age or handicap many times will balance out the distinct advantage that the easier weapon provides. 

I disagree with your statement that some vertical bows are just as accurate and effective at shotgun ranges as crossbows are.  Ravin crossguns advertises 3" groups at 100 yards with their crossguns.  If you want, feel free to provide links to any vertical bows that advertise that type of accuracy.  Not to say they don't exist, but I haven't seen them.  Plus to get to that level with a bow would require Olympic competition level committment.  It would be far easier to do it with a crossgun.  Anyone with a general ability to shoot a rifle would be near that level of accurracy within an hour.  If you can't admit that, you aren't being honest. 

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 11:56 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

EYEtest,I would go for that in a hart beat.

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 8:41 PM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12

We are all now familiar with the phrase, fake news.  That is why I have serious doubts behind the reasoning used to support this requested change and made the request for the Data.

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 3:53 PM
Eyetest
Eyetest
MEMBER since 7/12/01

So many people intolerant of how others take there deer. If you truly believe that Xbows are hurting your chance at filling your tag then by all means lets eliminate there use. Lets take it one step further however, bow hunters will only be able to use long bows with wooden shaft arrows. No exception.  Gone are recurves and compounds.

Now all will be equal in there pursuit.

Problem solved have a nice day... 

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 3:38 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14
You can have sept-dec. Leave the season open statewide till January 31 and id be happy.  Id start hunting jan 1 and have as good if not better hunting

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 2:38 PM
icebelt
icebelt
USER since 10/22/13

Alright I think most crossbow hunters would settle for a shorter season. So we can forgo September and just hunt October thru December, there now everyone is happy!

Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 12:11 PM
Twig "SNAP"
Twig
USER since 2/13/11

Good Lord, sounds like a bunch of SJW crybabies. You don't use what I use so your a POS. Comical reading as usual. Stop the infighting.

Edited on 2/14/18 1:00 PM
Post Your Comment
2/14/18 @ 10:22 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I also agree with Fishhound,  it's not a Xbow issue for quality and age structure issues.  It's the culture, period. 

I don't like Xbows for that group of people that are able,  however i'd rather have more Xbow hunters hunting early season than pushing deer all over the state getting hot lead flung at them.  Gun season,  group bagging, drives, shining...all the stuff needs to be looked at and changed.  None of that crap can make the quality better.  Only in WI can you pull up to deer in a field in sept 200 yards away and they blow out of there like you set off a bomb.  

Edited on 2/14/18 10:25 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 21 to 30 of 191 Posts