Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 1:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Alex the dog
Alex the dog
USER since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Post Your Comment
Displaying 20 to 29 of 733 Posts
4/12/18 @ 12:16 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Fish,  I'm sorry you are 100% off on your assumption of other states which is obvious you haven't been to any.

They care about big bucks,  you are correct on that,  but it ends there.  the rest of the banter is simply your assumptions.

When you grow up with big deer,  less hunters and watching deer mature is a way of life....it's nothing to kill one.  Someone in WI creams their jeans for a 130,  a 130 there is just a buck that needs a few more years.

Trust me when i tell you that most don't register bucks in the books in the states mentioned.  If they did,  percentage-wise per total tags sold, would blow WI out of the water.  i'm done here,  I don't need more competition for tags .

Plus WI has 75% more hunters,  so that's another "captain obvious" reason.  

WI hunters care a hell of a lot more about letting everyone know what they have killed. That's another difference. 

Edited on 4/12/18 12:23 PM
Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 11:33 AM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

Wi is number one for P&Y as well, again in spite of the dnr. My point...people always bring up other states and quality. If Iowa for instance is managed for such quality, why wouldn’t it be ahead of Wisconsin (2010-15)? Iowa is mostly private land managed by private citizens. They’ve also harvested more does statewide than bucks lately. Quality usually means less deer you know? You’d  think the Iowa DNR emphasizing quality would only help matters. Same with Illinois, Ohio, Kansas, Indiana you name it. I don’t buy the big buck people don’t care, otherwise why would anyone even score antlers as long as it was a “mature” buck? Or only it’s Wisconsin hunters that care? Some people seem to expect that WI should be this whitetail utopia where anyone can sit in a tree anywhere and see dozens of deer and have your pick of mature bucks. Are there changes that can be made? Sure. Make the buck tag public or private and end party tagging (or just party tagging on public land tags). If you take a private buck tag you aren’t eligible for a public antlerless tag until after the initial sale. You’d see a dramatic reduction in huge groups driving out public land making things better for John Public. 

Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 11:13 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I never thought about it until someone brought it up here this morning but if anyone thinks that there will be restrictions on any season while the DNR is issuing tags to grade school children, you're in for a big disappointment.

Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 11:04 AM
Terrific_tom
Terrific_tom
USER since 6/9/08

Interesting read of the actual bill  Act 61 that allows crosssbow hunting. If you read the bill it eliminates the use of crossbows for age 65 and disabilities during the archery season when the crossbow season was started. It looks like it would take a legislative action to return use of crossbows for age 65 and disabilities to  the archery season if the crossbow season would be made shorter. Here is the link:

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2013/related/acts/61  

Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 11:00 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Fish,  i respect your opinions however the PY and BC data just is soooo far skewed it's ridiculous.  I know more PY deer not registered in Iowa,  Illinois and Kansas on a yearly basis than one's registered in WI.  

Residents in others states couldn't care less about that stupid book.  Guys in Iowa, Ks, Ill care about 3 things.  Killing mature bucks,  Finding shed antlers and drinking (and farming).  If there was a way to count the numbers of big bucks not entered in that stupid book,  all those 3 states would DESTROY WI.

No disrespect,  but it's how it is.  Most in WI run out and enter it in a book.  I know many guys like that.  I don't know a single buddy from any other midwestern state that has entered a deer in a book.  100% truth.

Fish,  I do agree with you though.  Quality is in the eye's of the beholder.  Everyone hunts for different reasons.  This is america, people can do what they want and I respect that. 

As Lake Shiner said,  people don't pass mallards.  People don't shoot mallards that only have 3 curls.  Or just 5 year old male bunnies.  I admit,  when I turkey hunted anything with a beard died.  A turkey was a turkey,  all ugly,  all stupid and they all taste the same.

Edited on 4/12/18 11:04 AM
Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 10:47 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I agree, I think having any deer to shoot still trumps managing for bigger deer.  If you want to manage for bigger deer you have to buy your own land, and enough of it.  Deer are put on a pedestal by some guys because of their antlers or for an older deer's ability to make it a tougher hunt.  For others they are no different than a duck or rabbit.  Guys don't pass rabbits and drake mallards typically, same thing with deer for some.

Then you have guys like me that are somewhere in the middle.

I think the idea of deer hunting being driven by self interest is accurate too.  Granted even many of the guys who want to manage the herd differently are also in it for self-interest.  Just a different interest.

Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 10:20 AM
Brother of the brush
Brother of the brush
USER since 1/22/12

Fishsqueezer, that has nothing to do with the DNR and everything to do with private citizens managing their own land.

Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 10:17 AM
oldhunter
oldhunter
USER since 2/28/13

madforlabs

"You guys are pretty entertaining! Outrage at Kaz and the NRB over agenda's, "self interest" and working counter to prevailing public opinion. Yet, hardly a peep on this site over the shenanigans of Joel Kleefisch, Adam Jarchow and counterparts bypassing public participation and feedback while ramming thru legislation having major impacts upon the sporting public."

You need to read the original post for this thread.  It specifically mentions Kazmierski, NRB, etc..  There was no mention of the legislature, and the legislature is not involved with this current crossbow issue.

You would be more then welcome to start a new thread concerning legislature matters.  Although that may go against forum rules. I would suggest to check with forum moderators.

Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 10:15 AM
casey1
casey1
USER since 12/30/03

If you’re worried about the buck population don’t sell licenses to your 3 and 5 year old kids that there parents are going to shoot for them talk about a abuse of kill tags

Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 10:06 AM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

Quality is a very subjective term. At the end of the day, most hunters just want to harvest a deer. There is nothing wrong with that. Quality is in the eye of the beholder. Most hunters don’t want someone else’s definition of quality pushed upon them. This group of hunters seems to be the most demonized. I know when I point this out people will say it’s in spite of the DNR, but I do believe Wisconsin has produced more Boone and crocket bucks than any other state from 2010 to 2015, and it wasn’t really even close (google it, WI 440 followed by KY 261, Oh 246, IA 191 and so on). So, in spite of the DNR, WI is still the top B&C producing state in the country. 

Edited on 4/12/18 10:09 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 20 to 29 of 733 Posts