Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 12:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Alex the dog
Alex the dog
USER since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 191 Posts
2/15/18 @ 6:10 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

That part of the debate has been beat to death.

Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 5:59 PM
Pike River Outfitters
Pike River Outfitters
MEMBER since 5/3/08

Shoulder fired weapon is not a bow. Locked and cocked. Maybe allow crossbows during muzzleloader season.

Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 2:04 PM
7thson
7thson
USER since 6/4/06

When I moved to another state a while back , I was amazed at the simplicity of their deer hunting regs . Buy a license , go hunt and have a good time . It was a one page handout , unlike the Books published in Wisconsin . Just one season , DEER Season !! You get your deer you're done . Simple ! I live here in Wisconsin again but, really ? I liked the other setup better , that's where this should all go .

Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 1:58 PM
icebelt
icebelt
USER since 10/22/13

I would rather have able bodies get a job rather than shooting every deer they see to feed themselves.

Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 12:53 PM
JF24
JF24
USER since 12/15/17
lakeshiner.

Yes, along with compounds, traditional archery equipment, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, etc.

Just another weekend; shouldn't deter any hunter, no matter their weapon of choice, from being in the woods.

Joe

Edited on 2/15/18 12:56 PM
Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 11:47 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

"How many deer are lost every year from bad shots out of compounds? I always heard of wounded deer from compounds and those are never in the final tallies. I'd find dead deer every year. "

I personally know of 3 guys who shot, wounded, and lost deer with a crossbow.  Same thing as a compound, when you try exceeding your comfortable range, shooting at a moving deer, or taking awkward shots you are going to lose a higher percentage.  Instead of guys wounding deer at 30 yards with a bow, guys are wounding deer at 40 yards with a crossbow.  The bowhunter just has a shorter range where they will attempt a shot.  I wouldn't suspect there is much difference in the two on unrecovered deer.

Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 11:36 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

That would put xbows during the youth hunt I think. 

How many deer are lost every year from bad shots out of compounds?  I always heard of wounded deer from compounds and those are never in the final tallies.  I'd find dead deer every year. 

Everyone compares harvest numbers but those are just recovered and reported deer.  The actual numbers killed are pretty much unknown since it can't be tracked.

Do xbows reduce the number of unrecovered deer?  That's my question and I don't know if we can really find that answer either.  Remember that many of the guys on here are good hunters/shots.  There is an entire other group that wounds deer regularly with compounds.  Don't act like everyone always gets their deer.

Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 11:27 AM
JF24
JF24
USER since 12/15/17

I wouldn't mind seeing a season structure as follows;

Traditional: Current Season start date (2nd or 3rd Saturday in September) - Current Season end dates (metro and non-metro)

Compound: October 1 - Current Season end dates (metro and non-metro)

X-Bow: October 1 - October 15, November 15 - Current Season end dates (metro and non-metro)

Note: disabled and elderly fall in to the compound season structure with use of a compound or crossbow.

Joe

Edited on 2/15/18 11:30 AM
Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 10:35 AM
Bugeye1
Bugeye1
USER since 9/25/14
Yep! Better yet, Xgun's for for disabled and elderly only!

Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 10:20 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

The whole crossgun thing by the high and mighty crack me up! Put down your fancy release, your overdraw, carbon fiber arrows, 70% let off cams, fiber optic or lighted sights, and expandable broadheads so you truly can call yourself the great bow hunter you claim to be.

Everyone wants to say crossbow = Ravin at 100 yards under ideal conditions........ well that not the norm, it's the exception. I'm curious how many are running out and buying the $2,000.00 crossbow and will shoot it off a bench rest so they can shoot 100 yards.

I'm with JC, limit the amount of tags available to a hunter rather then telling them how they can harvest it. If you're going to start limiting gear because of possible effectiveness rather then safety we have lots of things to revisit and start limiting or banning all together.

Edited on 2/15/18 10:32 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 191 Posts