Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 1:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Alex the dog
Alex the dog
USER since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 733 Posts
4/13/18 @ 7:16 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

In swoops the person who has had nothing to add to the discussion, but has tried to turn this politic before. TYPICAL!

Post Your Comment
4/13/18 @ 5:59 AM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12

....and our legislature acts based upon public opinion? Ha!  That's a good one...

Post Your Comment
4/13/18 @ 4:14 AM
Alex the dog
Alex the dog
USER since 12/27/01

I don’t believe there was a vote.  Just a recommendation for the DNR to come back with season alternatives.

Listening to the broadcast of the NRB April 12th meeting I think the critical point was at 4hr29 min mark where Kaz states the season needs to be changed to bring the success rate (of Xbows) down to be inline with vertical bow and gun.   

So in my opinion he is saying a big FU to those who voted against a season change, you folks didn’t understand the data and I (Kaz) will still follow the Wisconsin Bow Hunters Association agenda to reduce the Xbow season.  

Unfortunately now this will need to be put to rest by having legislative involvement because one NRB board member won’t follow the public opinion.  

Edited on 4/13/18 2:40 PM
Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 4:17 PM
Western Extreme
Western Extreme
USER since 12/17/17

So did the NRB make a motion and vote on Kaz power point presentation last night. Or did the just listen to his numbers 

Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 3:41 PM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

Anyone against managing for quality deer must certainly be against all fish trophy management also. How many of these "meat hunters" are also some of the same guys who are voting for 50" size limits on muskies. Why should someone tell me how big a fish has to be before I can keep it? 

In this apples to oranges comparison the trophy fish you speak of are nearly 100% female. That said I’m not really a fan of the 50” limits, even though I’d never eat one of those Mercury riddled things. I’m in favor of whatever limits are necessary to sustain a healthy population balanced with what the habitat can support, deer and fish alike. 

Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 2:28 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

JC,  yup...management of freezer space is what most do best.

Meat hunters should love the trophy hunters then,  more meat for them.  We leave the tender ones go so they can walk up to the corn pile.

I watch 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks all year,  it's actually quite sickening sometimes.  You'd think those Suns a bitchiz would grow up the next year.  I think most get shot.  every year,  1 and 2 year olds.  I'm not killing em...but they aren't around the next year.  We don't gun hunt, so i'm thinking it's mostly a blood bath around us.

Edited on 4/12/18 2:33 PM
Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 2:18 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

You can't compare Iowa or most other states to WI.  WI simply has much more whitetail habitat, much more public land, and many more hunters.  Of course you are going to have a lot of record book bucks.  How many of these record deer come from any management efforts by WDNR?  That would be zero.  Keeping deer populations extremely low on public land and the word "management" should not even be used in the same sentence.  The only thing WDNR has "managed" is they have managed to rid public land of deer.  Only the private land guys who stick together, or the rich that can afford large parcels of land have consistent success of getting bucks to 3.5 years old or older.

The "don't tell me what to shoot" attitude I find quite sickening.  First, people can't even fathom the concept of passing on a small buck even though the next year it would have larger antlers AND more meat.  They feel they can't take the risk of letting it walk or someone else will shoot it.  How ridiculous and greedy does this sound?  If the same person that says they don't care about trophy deer had a spike buck and a 180" ten pointer with CWD standing in front of them with tainted meat, how many of these same guys are going to shoot the spike buck?  They are all going to shoot the 180" ten and throw the meat away.

Anyone against managing for quality deer must certainly be against all fish trophy management also.  How many of these "meat hunters" are also some of the same guys who are voting for 50" size limits on muskies.  Why should someone tell me how big a fish has to be before I can keep it? 

Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 1:28 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Fish,  good post. I agree.  

I might add though,  if we / everyone was a little more selective one year,  just think what it could be.  i'm not telling anyone what to do.  However,  what you've already outlined and the deer still bounce back.  Just think we the wisconsin army could have with a little patience.....it would be the best state in the nation.  we have it all.  big woods,  big marshes,  ag.  

Most people kill what they want by default.  They kill what they want because they never seen a big buck.  I get it,  I been there.  I went 10 years w o shooting a buck.  I didn't even see what I was holding out for,  I wasn't sure it existed.  EAB was introduced,  BAAM,  I finally saw a few and killed a couple.  Why is that i wonder?

Edited on 4/12/18 2:06 PM
Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 1:24 PM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

I never said all those other states are not “quality” hunting states. They most certainly are. They don’t have near the winter and have tons of agricultre, of coarse they produce giant bucks. What I was getting at is despite the winter, wolves, harvest, the 5% of bow hunters who shoot two bucks, all the seasons, the 850k licenses sold, you name it Wisconsin is still a pretty dam good state to hunt deer that keeps producing year after year. I hunt only public land in northern WI and usually get a deer (4 bucks last 5 years) despite dedicating most of my time to my family (3 young kids) and my business. What I don’t want is for someone to tell me what a quality deer is. If I had all the money and time in the world I’d still hunt public land in northern WI because that is what I love and what is satisfying for me. When my kids are old enough they will hunt like I hunt and they will be better hunters (not “real hunters” according to some) because of it. 

Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 12:16 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Fish,  I'm sorry you are 100% off on your assumption of other states which is obvious you haven't been to any.

They care about big bucks,  you are correct on that,  but it ends there.  the rest of the banter is simply your assumptions.

When you grow up with big deer,  less hunters and watching deer mature is a way of life....it's nothing to kill one.  Someone in WI creams their jeans for a 130,  a 130 there is just a buck that needs a few more years.

Trust me when i tell you that most don't register bucks in the books in the states mentioned.  If they did,  percentage-wise per total tags sold, would blow WI out of the water.  i'm done here,  I don't need more competition for tags .

Plus WI has 75% more hunters,  so that's another "captain obvious" reason.  

WI hunters care a hell of a lot more about letting everyone know what they have killed. That's another difference. 

Edited on 4/12/18 12:23 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 733 Posts