Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 12:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Alex the dog
Alex the dog
USER since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 191 Posts
2/17/18 @ 4:20 PM
goons den
goons den
USER since 12/30/04

You guys that use the term "crossgun", some advice....

Using a wiseguy term like that really doesn't add to your argument.  It only makes you look like a wiseguy, and detracts from the content of your post.  Try to be above that.

The arguments used against crossbows remind me of my late uncle who referred to bowhunters as "sliverpushers".  He shot a nice buck one gun season.  When we got to butchering it, we found a broadhead stuck in one hindquarter. The surrounding meat was all infected and festering.  Had to toss the entire hindquarter.  Never got Uncle off his dislike for "sliverpushers" after that.  No amount of argument about advancing technology, practice, skill, herd management, etc would change his mind.

Post Your Comment
2/17/18 @ 7:17 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
USER since 4/5/08

.Long Barrels, I agree 200% with your last paragraph in your most recent post!!! You nailed it!!!

If you want, go to the "Shooting" thread and read my entry on 16 Feb 18 at 1003. You'll maybe understand...

Yeah, I know it has nothing to do with Cross Bows but...

Edited on 2/17/18 7:20 AM
Post Your Comment
2/16/18 @ 3:05 PM
icebelt
icebelt
USER since 10/22/13

Lb let me guess your a vet.

Post Your Comment
2/16/18 @ 12:56 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I don't care about the Xbows,  just make that license $50.  you want to kill with a Xbow,  you're going to pay for it.  You don't like it,  shoot something else.  Charge the tweeners more.  Over 55 and disabled pay normal price.  

Military,  past and present should be free.  IMO.  To me,  Vets should be put on a pedestal,  it seems like they don't get the proper treatment they deserve.  

Edited on 2/16/18 1:37 PM
Post Your Comment
2/16/18 @ 11:20 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

JC - While I disagree with you on the old shotguns (maybe we had different models), I do agree with your wounded deer with crossbows part.  I think people read all of this long range stuff and think they are superman, then they just miss or wound deer.  I could care less if they can hit a target at 50 yards.  It doesn't move, they aren't excited, they know the exact distance.  Its easy to misjudge distance as you start getting beyond 25 yards if you hunt various places.  I know I do it, my range finder has saved me a number of times where I thought something was 30 and its really 40.  Compounds and xbows will fall victim to that, the xbows just moved the distance out a little bit.

I'm actually neutral on this whole thing.  Haven't experienced a doomsday scenario yet with it, been pretty much status quo.

Edited on 2/16/18 11:21 AM
Post Your Comment
2/16/18 @ 9:14 AM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12

GreatOutdoors, no, I m comparing average slug gun, "12 gauge bird barrel with rifled slug" and compound bow,  in the hands of the average hunter. "guy who pulls bow out of case, shoots 10 times to see if it still shoots close and goes hunting".  As much as we hate to admit it, that is average IMO.

Post Your Comment
2/16/18 @ 8:52 AM
Shanker12
Shanker12
USER since 1/5/13

http://shoot-on.com/cant-regulate-ethics/

Interesting read. I hope everyone practices  this type of ethics in either compound or crossbow hunting. 

Post Your Comment
2/16/18 @ 8:15 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01

No-luck, are you honestly going to try to claim that anyone can shoot an average crossgun as accurately at 40 yards as an average compound bow?  Would you be willing to put some serious money on that?  I'd put $5K down like nothing that. I would take that bet every day of the week.  We can grab 5 random people, give them an average bow and average crossgun and measure their results after an hour.  I've been bowhunting for 25 years and for the most part have had average bows at best.  I don't see much advantage in dropping a ton of money on a bow.  I have never nor will I ever take a 40 yard shot in the woods. Relying on other skills as a bowhunter I have had a ton of success.  However since the crossguns have been allowed in mass quantities I have seen many people who possess no archery or bowhunting skill become confident with 40, 50, 60+ yard shots almost instantly with crossguns.  Maybe you won't admit it, but the fact that these people wouldn't touch a bow or wouldn't punch a tag if they did previously is telling. 

One of the guys that hunts with us and just turned 70 got a crossgun this year.  He hadn't bowhunted the past 5 years, but previously did some bowhunting.  He had an average bow, that was nicer than what I shoot currently.  He wouldn't shoot more than 20 to 30 yards.  That was after decades of hunting.  Now with his average crossgun he was instantly confident out to 50 yards.  His main limitation was that 50 yards was the max target distance he could set up in his yard for practice, otherwise he would shoot further.  But he made it clear he was pounding that target at 50 yards.  However, if you want to keep believing the weapons are equal, you're only kidding yourself.  What's next, are you going to claim that bikes and motorcycles require the same effort to drive because they each have 2 wheels?    

Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 9:20 PM
icebelt
icebelt
USER since 10/22/13

It's not a shoulder fired weapon. Fired means firearm rim fire, center fire. It is a shouldered bow.

Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 6:27 PM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12

Greatoutdoors,

Here is what I found on the WI DNR website concerning qualifying, dated 2013.

A resident archer hunting license authorizes the hunting of all game, except bear, elk, and wild turkey, during the open seasons for hunting that game with bow and arrow established by the department. This license authorizes hunting with a bow and arrow only, unless hunting with a crossbow is authorized by a Class A, Class B, or Class C permit issued under s. 29.193 (2) or a permit issued under sub. (4). (2m) Notwithstanding sub. (2), a resident archer hunting license authorizes hunting with a bow and arrow or with a crossbow if the licensee is a resident senior citizen. A resident senior citizen is not required to hold a permit from the department to hunt with a crossbow if the resident senior citizen holds a license under this section. (3) The department shall issue to each person who is issued a resident archer hunting license a deer tag and a back tag. (4) (a) After proper application, the department shall issue to any person a crossbow permit to hunt with a crossbow meeting the specifications of par. (b) if the person is unable to use a bow and arrow and if the person meets any of the following: 2. Has an amputation or other loss of one or more arms above the wrist. 3. Has an amputation or other loss of the index or middle finger on the draw and release hand. 4. Has a permanent substantial loss of function in one or both arms or one or both hands and fails to meet the minimum standards of any one of the following standard tests, administered under the direction of a licensed physician or a licensed chiropractor: a. Upper extremity pinch. b. Grip. c. Nine-hole peg. 5. Has a permanent substantial loss of function in one or both shoulders and fails to meet the minimum standards of the standard shoulder strength tests, administered under the direction of a licensed physician or a licensed chiropractor. (b) Except as provided in par. (bc), no person may use a crossbow in hunting as authorized by any license or permit issued under this [29.185 (6),] chapter unless the crossbow meets all of the following specifications: NOTE: Par. (b) is shown as affected by 2011 Wis. Acts 169 and 252 and as merged by the legislative reference bureau under s. 13.92 (2) (i). The language in brackets was inserted by Act 169 but rendered surplusage by the treatment by Act 252. Corrective legislation is pending. 2. Shall have a minimum draw weight of 100 pounds. 4. Shall have a working safety. 5. Shall be used with bolts or arrows of not less than 14 inches in length with a broadhead. (bc) A compound bow equipped with a device that holds the bow at full draw but that is not constructed with a stock and designed to be shot from the shoulder with one hand is exempt from the specification under par. (b) 2. 29.171(4)(c) (c) The department may issue a crossbow permit to an applicant who is ineligible for a permit under par. (a) or who is denied a permit under par. (a) if, upon review and after considering the physical condition of the applicant and the recommendation of a licensed physician or licensed chiropractor selected by the applicant from a list of licensed physicians and licensed chiropractors compiled by the department, the department finds that issuance of a permit complies with the intent of this subsection. The use of this review procedure is discretionary with the department and all costs of the review procedure shall be paid by the applicant. 

The issue to me is that I or my friends and I would guess many others would not qualify.  Therefore if the change was to be enacted, I would be done archery hunting safely until I become disabled.

I grew up in SE Mn, shotgun only.  I am looking at the average shotgun in the hands of the average hunter and the same for vertical bows.  At forty yards I still say very little difference.

Edited on 2/15/18 6:27 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 191 Posts