SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Limited season for Xbow's?

1/30/18 @ 1:25 PM
INITIAL POST
Alex the dog
User since 12/27/01

Anybody catch at the January 24th Wisconsin NRB meeting Gregory Kazmierski's proposal to change the Xbow season structure for able bodied individuals due to % of buck harvest with xbows being higher than verticle bows and firearms?

Note no proposed dates are given, just looking for approval to limit the number of days one can hunt with a Xbow.

Here is the webcast of the NRB meeting, watch at the 5:45 mark for the proposal to come up as a possible question at the spring hearings: 

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/6dfc8e3...86-756192a62f17

I can only imagine what that will start among Wisconsin sportsman.  Maybe long bows can hunt all season, vertical bows get 2/3 of the season and xbows get 1/3 of the season then everyone has equal opportunity at a buck.

Regardless of what an individual uses we should all be concerned if this is acted upon because what type of equipment will be limited next?  Can't use vertical bow that shoots faster than 300fps or maybe only single pin sights vs. multi-pin or the new range finder auto adjusting.

Alex

Displaying 1 to 15 of 733 posts
4/16/18 @ 2:01 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

I'm starting to get a feeling that there is some garbage going on behind the scenes. Take a peak over on 24hourcampfire.com. A person by the name sharp things, aka rancid crabtree, ronnie cornpile, ok he never went by that one, has been letting everyone know over there how important he is, specifically the crossbow season and how instrumental he has been in crafting the questions. He is a direct pipeline to Kaz, and its been pointed out that they have worked on this together. Ronnie just cant help himself when it comes to telling folks how important he is. What smells like rotten garbage is ronnie is openly boasting that this is a done deal. If this is the case it definitely casts the process into a very negative light. I cant believe (yes I can), that Kaz would want to associate himself with ol cornpile. I wonder if the other NRB members are aware of these things.

4/13/18 @ 4:42 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

"Buckmaster  :  I know how you feel .... over three years cross bows voted down and look what happened."

You have to remember that what you are referring to was the Conservation Congress - Natural resources board process.

The current crossbow season was a result of legislative action.

Two completely different process's.

4/13/18 @ 4:08 PM
buckmaster69
buckmaster69
User since 1/24/11

I know how you feel .... over three years cross bows voted down and look what happened.

4/13/18 @ 2:30 PM
Alex the dog
User since 12/27/01

What is bothersome to me is that an NRB member with an agenda is ignoring / trying to discount the best measurement of public opinion that is currently available - that being the spring hearing results.

If there is a better way currently in place to gather public input across the entire state let's hear it.

Alex

4/13/18 @ 1:48 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Nope I voted, whats your point?

4/13/18 @ 1:07 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

Your vote missing?

4/13/18 @ 12:44 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

They don't. Spring hearings are an advisory vote. Groups like those in question, swear to them as gospel when it goes there way, not so much when it doesn't. One member of the NRB says that the voters were too confused over the question, which by the way he authored. Sound familiar?

4/13/18 @ 11:36 AM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

Just a question, how does 3000 votes dictate what should be done for the whole state?  What am I missing?

4/13/18 @ 8:18 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

No person would like to see all fish and game management decisions made by professionals within the DNR more than myself. Historically, our Conservation Congress gathered public opinion via the Spring hearings and used this feedback as a part of their recommendations to the Natural Resources Board. The NRB in turn worked with the DNR to formulate rules and policy that consolidated public feedback with science generated thru DNR professionals.

At it's best, the Wisconsin fish and game management model was seen as one of the very best in the country. Those days are long gone.

Irrespective of one's position on the xbow issue, we can be certain that legislative involvement will determine the course of future seasons. Do I approve of this? Absolutely not! As a realist, however, I know this is the way things will go down.

Denying the political nature of wildlife management today is naive, ignorant or both.

4/13/18 @ 8:12 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

The board wanted more specific info, if there was a motion, it was for Kaz to come back with that info as well as his ideas or solutions. This needs to be followed and countered. 

And yes alex that is exactly what the vote was. As well as Kaz stating that us voters were to confused to answer the question correctly.

4/13/18 @ 7:16 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

In swoops the person who has had nothing to add to the discussion, but has tried to turn this politic before. TYPICAL!

4/13/18 @ 5:59 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

....and our legislature acts based upon public opinion? Ha!  That's a good one...

4/13/18 @ 4:14 AM
Alex the dog
User since 12/27/01

I don’t believe there was a vote.  Just a recommendation for the DNR to come back with season alternatives.

Listening to the broadcast of the NRB April 12th meeting I think the critical point was at 4hr29 min mark where Kaz states the season needs to be changed to bring the success rate (of Xbows) down to be inline with vertical bow and gun.   

So in my opinion he is saying a big FU to those who voted against a season change, you folks didn’t understand the data and I (Kaz) will still follow the Wisconsin Bow Hunters Association agenda to reduce the Xbow season.  

Unfortunately now this will need to be put to rest by having legislative involvement because one NRB board member won’t follow the public opinion.  

4/12/18 @ 3:41 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

Anyone against managing for quality deer must certainly be against all fish trophy management also. How many of these "meat hunters" are also some of the same guys who are voting for 50" size limits on muskies. Why should someone tell me how big a fish has to be before I can keep it? 

In this apples to oranges comparison the trophy fish you speak of are nearly 100% female. That said I’m not really a fan of the 50” limits, even though I’d never eat one of those Mercury riddled things. I’m in favor of whatever limits are necessary to sustain a healthy population balanced with what the habitat can support, deer and fish alike. 

4/12/18 @ 2:28 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

JC,  yup...management of freezer space is what most do best.

Meat hunters should love the trophy hunters then,  more meat for them.  We leave the tender ones go so they can walk up to the corn pile.

I watch 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks all year,  it's actually quite sickening sometimes.  You'd think those Suns a bitchiz would grow up the next year.  I think most get shot.  every year,  1 and 2 year olds.  I'm not killing em...but they aren't around the next year.  We don't gun hunt, so i'm thinking it's mostly a blood bath around us.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 733 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE