Lighted Nocks?

11/5/14 @ 3:54 PM
ORIGINAL POST
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
Who out there is using lighted nocks? What kind are you using and how do they work for you? Thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
12/17/14 @ 2:37 PM
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
Fire Nocks are supposed to be good too. I'm going to make my own with Thill bobber lights. there are several videos on youtube showing how to make them.

Post Your Comment
12/17/14 @ 8:02 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
My groups with the Tail Lites from TGB are about 1.5" higher at 40yds. Tuned bow,GT XT 400's...spin-tested with ST 85's...On a good day when I've been shooting for a couple hours and not wearing bulky winter clothing...

I think I'm a little light FOC. ST 100's probably would make the difference needed... But I shoot plenty-good at 25yds and have never shot at a deer beyond that...And since my nice tight groups at 40 don't always happen every day anyways...

Lighted nocks have helped me recover arrows in thick marsh grass. That glow showed the start of a sparse blood trail helping me recover the animal... They've also made the exact point of impact obvious - perfect shot placement - so I could begin tracking sooner. Recover the deer sooner. And be home showered and eating dinner sooner.

As an aside...I was shocked (and kind'a pissed) when I spun the arrows I'd bought from a couple different local shops. The inserts were not square in roughly 10 out of 12 arrows. When I started buying bare shafts and putting them together myself - including squaring the ends - that ratio flipped. There were still roughly 2 out of each dozen that were NOT perfectly square.

There's a source on ebay where I could get the GT XT hunter 5575/400 for about $65/doz tyd (with loose inserts and nocks separate) as opposed for about $95 fletched and inserts glued not-quite square.

Post Your Comment
12/16/14 @ 9:59 PM
BowPro
BowPro
USER since 9/25/06
I've been using the Nockturnals for several years. I've used them on Carbon Express, Easton Axis and now the Easton Injexion arrows. They all work great!

Post Your Comment
12/11/14 @ 1:31 PM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
We went with the tail-lites from TGB archery. $60 for a dozen, Four of us have been using them regularly with no issues yet. If/when we need more that's what I will get again.

Post Your Comment
12/11/14 @ 1:24 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14
I shot Nocturnals from day one. When DoubleTake archery sold out to Rage they turned into cheap crap. I've had a few crack after 10 shots. Prior i've shot some 100 times and a few through multiple deer.

This year I was looking for a new nock, tried Nock Outs. The design looked odd as they sit outside the arrow. they shot well with field tips, perfectly actually. once I spun on a Fixed broadhead they would shoot 2 inches to the right. I took off the nock and put on a regular Xnock and Broadhead had the same POI as field tip.

So this year I didn't shoot lighted nocks. If you can't get them to fly perfect, it's not worth it.

Still waiting on a good lighted nock that isn't $75 for one.

Post Your Comment
11/7/14 @ 9:42 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
I used the lit Omni Nocks on my crossbow this year. I am not thrilled with them. I bumped them a few times on stand and they lit up. That is operator error and I can live with that. The one that I shot through my buck this year was good until it hit the deer. The arrow was sticking out of the ground, after a pass through, and the nock was not lit. It was actually hard to see because the blood on the arrow made it blend in very well. A shining light would have made a difference.I saw the arrow go out and strike the deer but the nock shut off on the way through. No drama because the deer dropped in sight. The Rage Hypodermic[ 2 blade> is a great head. I had to be careful not to walk in the blood trail so I didn't mess up my boots and pants. Mrt.

Edited on 11/7/14 9:44 AM
Post Your Comment
11/6/14 @ 9:29 AM
buckrubtaxidermy
buckrubtaxidermy
USER since 10/19/10
I have used Lumenox in the past and when they worked they were good, but the nock sometimes would fly out. If the spring wire gets messed up then the nock is shot. I now use Nockturnal and really like them. I am not the best at shutting them off when I am done shooting them but my 13 year old has no problem. I guess I don't have the nack. I like that they are easily shut off and on and if my arrows get bumped a bit that one will not go on. That happened with lumenox several times and the battery went dead. I shot a doe last week in some pines with shadows and it was nice watching the laser go right where I aimed.

Post Your Comment
11/6/14 @ 7:55 AM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
One thing I like about the Tracer nocks is that a 3 pack also comes with 3 practice heads that are weighted the same. I practice with both the lighted ones and the practice ones.

I've never hear of any "blowing up" of any of the brands.

Post Your Comment
11/6/14 @ 7:31 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
Good post cds. Like anything for gods sake try it during practice....dont find out it sucks on opening day!

Post Your Comment
11/6/14 @ 7:16 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I've used Nockturnals for 3 years now. Started practicing with them last year....Some time this summer I bought 6 off ebay for significantly less than retail. Bad idea - most of them light up when initially nocking the arrow.

I tried Luminocks and preferred the Nockturnals.

So...I bought a dozen from some archery shop in Sheboygan Falls (TGB Archery). Online. A dozen for about $50.

Like I said,I practice with them. They DO alter arrow flight somewhat. Slightly at 30yds,more noticeably at 40....I used them when tuning my bow. I use them when sighting in.tarting in early August I used them when practicing with both BHs and field points. I even used them when shooting 3D.

One didn't work right out of the package from TGB,the rest worked great.

But between all three brands and hours of shooting them I have not had one "blow up" when shooting.

Downfalls are that they're kind of pricey. Some can be fussy. You really ought'a practice with them especially if you plan on shots past 20yds....If you're someone who takes that 70yd "Hail Mary" shot it'll give you something to blame when you miss...

At the distance I typically shoot deer I see nothing but positives. I can find the start of that blood trail without searching because I find the arrow immediately....Seeing that little red light disappear into the crease behind the front leg gives me the confidence to start tracking as soon as I have my stand and climbing sticks put away.

In the marshes I hunt a pass thru could mean I'm looking for the arrow for a while. Once it gets under the marsh hay it's tough to see....When I take a doe it's usually the last few minutes of legal shooting and I know there's not time for a buck to wander by. It's dark by the time I hit the ground with my stand/sticks packed up....But my arrow - and the start of the blood - is right "there".

If you're going to use them,the time to try them is not "in elk camp" it's 6 weeks BEFORE the trip....Or 6 weeks before deer season.

Edited on 11/6/14 7:18 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts