USER since 5/12/09
could anyone give me some pointers for late season bow on public land
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
12/13/15 @ 11:43 PM
Mr_Spike
Mr_Spike
USER since 10/30/05
I skip hunting big woods during the late season as the woody browse isn't enough to get them through the winter and deer know this so they bail.

Puke

Post Your Comment
12/12/15 @ 9:35 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
I used to hunt public a lot, only once in a while now. One of favorite (and successful) tactics was hunting near (within a few hundred yards of ) the parking areas or in some cases the road. Especially parking areas with thick cover nearby. Although guys walk past/thru it, the area near the parking lot is often the least hunted. My first buck was a 9 pt I shot 30 yd off a gravel road..75yds from where my truck was parked. Few years ago I patterned 2 nice bucks leaving public to cross the road into private field in evening. I paced off legal distance from the centerline of the road and took my wife there opening week. Had both bucks in ran he but no shot ops. That was 50yds from the parking lot and about that from the road.

Post Your Comment
12/12/15 @ 8:06 PM
FISH-EM
FISH-EM
USER since 5/12/09
yeah I agree. I wish we had some snow on the ground to see what the deer are doing, because I have no clue

Post Your Comment
12/12/15 @ 5:13 PM
the predator
the predator
USER since 11/1/11
With this unseasonably warm weather, will the deer be moving much? I unfortunately hunt public land ( southern kettle moraine) just trying to decide if it is worth the time to go out or if I put away the bow for the winter.

Post Your Comment
11/28/15 @ 12:17 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Find some place that hasn't been hunted to death! Find a food source then find where they are sleeping then be very patient they don't come easy but u do have a huge advantage not near the food sources as before and almost no pressure

Post Your Comment
11/25/15 @ 10:59 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
You need to find a food source first. Start there and backtrack to find the bedding area. Once you know that , you are in business. You may be shocked at how wired the deer are, compared to earlier in the year. Less cover, no dumb ones left and heavy clothes combine to make the kill tougher. If you have a good place, it can be done. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
11/25/15 @ 10:07 AM
DLAMA2
DLAMA2
USER since 5/1/05
Get between bedding and food.

Do some scouting after a snow to find the travel area's. If no snow it is trail and error but you can look for droppings as deer will do their thing after getting up from their bed.

Post Your Comment
11/24/15 @ 10:45 PM
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
USER since 6/8/07
Look for southern facing hills for bedding area near a food source. Deer will not travel far, only to eat. It's tough, no two ways about it. Look for tracks in fresh snow and still hunt if possible.

Post Your Comment
11/24/15 @ 10:01 PM
cabinbum
cabinbum
USER since 4/1/10
sure. scroll down a few lines..

Post Your Comment