Late Bow Season

11/15/15 @ 1:52 PM
ORIGINAL POST
flyguy329
flyguy329
USER since 1/25/06
I know that most say the big ones are on their feet during the rut.....Anyways, what should I expect late season. Any special tactics/etc. Will they react at all to calling or do you have to be on their trails? Any help/tips would be appreciated. I blew my chance the other day at a nice one and need to look into the future this year...Thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 Posts
1/4/16 @ 10:00 AM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07
Congratulations saronafish!! What a great buck, especially for late season...especially for public land!! Job well done and thats awesome that you have history with him as well. What were you hunting as far as food source? Seems like there are still some acorns in the woods in my area.

Post Your Comment
1/4/16 @ 8:24 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
USER since 1/5/05
I had a good late season. I hunted December 14, 17, 18, and 19th and harvested my first P&Y class buck with a bow on the 19th. I also ended up seeing 24 deer on those 4 sits all on public land that got pounded during gun season more than it has in the past several years. I was really lucky, but I also had been on top of this deer all year. It was just a matter of time till I saw him. I spent most of the first couple months of the season chasing other deer that ended up being killed by other people but I am more then happy with this one. 25th day I hunted this fall.

I have pictures of him last year too. Very impressive what he did between 3.5 and 4.5. I think he put on 35-40".

Post Your Comment
1/3/16 @ 8:52 PM
chris73
chris73
USER since 7/24/11
A friend of the "family" decided to try calling coyotes out of my deer stand and the next day drove his snowmobiles all over the area on Thursday and Friday. I so wanted my newly turned ten year old daughter to shoot a deer this year but for some reason we didn't see any this weekend.. Had lots of deer on camera before this but none after. Maybe next year

Post Your Comment
12/27/15 @ 6:32 PM
haf2fsh
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01
Helped the boys set up in Crawford county for 3 day late hunt. Way weather looks will be a lot of card playing tomorrow. I got hopes maybe someone will get a shot. Good sign on the trails.

Post Your Comment
12/26/15 @ 9:41 PM
chris73
chris73
USER since 7/24/11
My daughter turned 10 on 22 December. I took her out for the first time tonight. Saw 4 bucks 1 doe. we had a small buck at 15 yds but she couldn't get the shot off before it walked of. We had another small buck at 36 yds but I wasn't comfortable with her taking the shot. Great night with my daughter. She was so happy to be the "hunter" this time. She has spent a lot of time watching me but now it's her turn to hunt. She wants to go tomorrow Hopefully I can post a pic. Lol. Good luck to all of you still hunting. This is my favorite time to go.

Post Your Comment
12/26/15 @ 11:55 AM
Formerly the big guy
Formerly the big guy
MEMBER since 10/3/11
Congratulations cds on filling your tag on public land. If it didn't smell when you were gutting it then it should be fine.

Post Your Comment
12/26/15 @ 11:17 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Having traded my bow for schoolbooks this fall,I hadn't hunted until last week...at all.

First sit went back in and found a bow hanger in the tree I intended to hunt. Since it was the only good tree in the area - especially considering the wind - and it was already after 3,I sat there anyway. Saw nothing but a red squirell.

Sit two: Went back to a tree I usually see deer from,even if they're not in range. Got a little concerned when I saw glow tacks on the way in. I removed the "litter" but followed them all the way to the tree I'd had "to myself" a couple times each of the past few seasons. Three tacks on that tree: I headed deeper in the swamp to another tree where I'd had some success but it was already late and I think I bumped something on the way in. Saw nothing.

Third sit was 12/23. I knew guys would have overhunted the easy stuff and in fact saw fresh-ish climber marks and some cut branches. Went thru what is doe bedding in early season and soft-bumped a doe. It'd rained all morning and I had plenty of time to go slow and quiet...went past several trees I'd hunted - and been successful from before to get as close as possible to the thickest bedding area around.

I'd passed 3 does from there the last sit last year and always see deer when I sit that far in. The tree - a green ash - was kind of scary-rotten last year and worse this year but I figured once more can't hurt....30 minutes or so after I was all settled in a big "doe" comes wading thru the alders and dogwood. She stopped,turned and looked at me as I drew: Maybe I rushed the shot and didn't get a good look at "her". Easy 28yd double lung shot.

Sat for 1/2 hour after the shot and watched a couple now-sizeable fawns work the edge of the thick stuff...They just seem to have more energy before their first winter,aina?...then got down as it started to get dark. More rain in the forecast,good shot,I figured I'd let it sit long enough...

Got down to track and found no blood beyond where the hit had occurred but with rain all morning the only tracks in the mud to follow were "hers". I found the body less than 50 yds away. "She" was actually a 1.5yo buck that had already dropped it's antlers.

It's possible it had been hit earlier this fall - there was black congealed blood in the chest cavity in addition to the mess that was left after my arrow passed thru. There didn't seem to be any wound but there was a small patch of hairless hide on it's flank. No visible (healed?)wound there either.

Tagged and gutted it then headed back to take down the stand and pack up. Got snorted at while I did it.

I'll go a couple more times before next Sunday but unless there's substantial bad meat on this deer - which I doubt as it looked good and the inner loins were just fine - it's now winter walleye season for me. Water's open,boat's ready...

It's all good.

Hope ya'all had a good season.

Post Your Comment
12/22/15 @ 8:47 AM
browning3
browning3
USER since 5/23/02
Deer are starting to pile into the feed now. Starting to come out earlier and earlier. Guy in our group filled his doe tag Saturday. He saw about 20. I'll be out this weekend trying to fill my buck tag. We have the only standing corn within a few miles plus a late green field planting thats getting pounded.

Post Your Comment
12/19/15 @ 6:47 PM
wally2121
wally2121
USER since 4/16/08
Wife and I were in stand (separate) at 2:30. not a deer seen. thought i heard one walking in the thick stuff but never showed its face. Jefferson County

Post Your Comment
12/18/15 @ 6:51 PM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02
I'm not done yet!!! I have a buck tag yet! Southern Clark Cnty. Good luck

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 Posts