Lakewood, Townsend, Mountain areas

10/6/11 @ 11:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Mt Dew
Mt Dew
USER since 6/23/01
How has the deer activity been in the Townsend, Lakewood, & Mountain areas?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 341 Posts
11/16/18 @ 2:09 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07

Congrats on an awesome buck ESOX!! This time of year things can change from worst season ever to the biggest buck of your life in seconds.  I'll be up tonight and trying a new area tomorrow for the opener.  There was lots of fresh sign last weekend so I'm hoping to see some action.  Good luck to everyone and be safe!

Post Your Comment
11/16/18 @ 8:26 AM
GET ESOX
GET ESOX
USER since 5/30/12

Sorry to hear about your buck Scout.  The bucks by us were going crazy last week.  Thursday morning I passed a spike trailing a doe.  That afternoon had a nice buck chasing a doe but he wouldn’t stop running her.  10 minutes later a smaller buck came through on the same trail.  Then a short time later this guy came through with his nose in the air and shot him at 7 yards under my tree.  After I shot him another deer came through but didn’t see it’s head.  Crazy afternoon.  The next morning my buddy hunted my other stand and grunted in the big 10 I had on camera but he wouldnt come closer than 40 yards. All it takes is that one doe to bring the bucks running.  Everyone have a safe gun season, we’ll be back up for 7 days of muzzleloader.  

Post Your Comment
11/15/18 @ 1:32 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07

I spent Sunday looking for the buck with 1 other person.  There was about 5" of snow on the ground so it was not ideal but I figured I would get on some coyote tracks and find the carcass.  I followed every set of coyote tracks I could find in that area but didn't find the buck.  I didn't hear any crows at all either.  I would imagine that the carcass would be picked clean one week after the shot if he did indeed die but I would think that the crows would still be feeding on it right?

Post Your Comment
11/13/18 @ 6:42 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER since 12/19/10

Scout, did u get out and look for that deer? Any luck?

Post Your Comment
11/8/18 @ 11:39 AM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
USER since 5/31/02

Yo, Scout King.

After I posted up, over lunch, I got to thinking that if you had to wait until I got back up there Friday night to search for your buck, all we'd find would be individual pieces. Ah well, it's the thought that counts.

And yes, for all the terrible things you read on-line about hunting public land, I've had some very good experiences in the Nicolet.

One time, for example, I shot a pretty decent five point buck during gun season. I was a LONG way from my truck, and I was really struggling with the drag, even though I am by no means small nor weak. Did you ever notice, when dragging a buck, if you snag a pencil-size sapling with the antlers you are suddenly chained to the world, and you're not dragging nothin' nowhere?

Out of nowhere appears a guy, with his little girl with him (dressed appropriately in blaze orange, of course) and asked if I would like to use his Dad's deer cart. His Dad was posted nearby, and the guy went off, got the cart, and walked with me all the way back to my truck with the little girl in-tow.

What a display of sportsmanship.

Then the young fellas who came upon me far from my truck (up in Marinette), in the black of night, in the bitter, bitter cold, and gave me (the doddering old fart) a ride on the tailgate of their Toyota pick-up back to my truck.

I've been lucky. I've never lost a deer. But then I usually only hunt with the rifle and most of my shots are at less than 25 yards. Nothing's going anywhere after being shot with the .35 at 25 yards, that's for sure.

Good luck with your hunting.

RR

Post Your Comment
11/7/18 @ 3:24 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07

Hey guys thanks for all the positive posts, its been a tough week so far just knowing that he is out there, dead or alive.  There is an enormous coyote population in the area (like most areas up there) so I'm thinking that even if he did not die from the shot, with two incredibly sore shoulders he might succumb to a pack of those buggers.  I've also got a trail cam up in a spot not terribly far away so if he is still walking hopefully I can confirm it.

Rainbow Runner- I truly appreciate the offer, its so great meeting other public land hunters who look out for each other.  I actually met another hunter the evening I shot this buck who comes from some private land onto the National Forest.  The spot I hung that night was 1.36 miles from my truck and I was the only truck there.  The guy who hunted from the private was less than 300 yards from me haha, what are the odds.  And he saw the buck I shot about 40 minutes before me but he never came close.  I told him my story and he and both of his brothers came out that night to help me track.  You've got to enjoy the moments when you meet good people.  Thanks guys and I'll keep you posted.

Post Your Comment
11/7/18 @ 11:26 AM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
USER since 5/31/02

I'll be up there this weekend if you need some help searching SK.

I'm a 100% solo hunter, so no, I won't bring an army of guys in there to "steal your spot". I know how hard it can be to recover an animal up there though.

RR

(Crooked Lake)

Post Your Comment
11/7/18 @ 10:57 AM
Beardless Gandalf
Beardless Gandalf
USER since 4/4/18

I think given the hit location in the shoulder and 14 inches of penetration the deer is likely dead, if you’re thinking in terms of probability.  If he wasn’t bumped too hard he’s probably within a 250 yard radius. But up there a 250 yard radius is a hell of a lot of ground to search but still worth it. If you have a couple additional guys to search your odds go up big time. If there’s still snow, follow some of the predator track you come across and they may lead to the carcass 

Post Your Comment
11/7/18 @ 7:21 AM
FullDraw05
FullDraw05
USER since 10/10/17
i had almost the same exact thing SK. Accidentally buried my arrow forward on a doe, saw my penetration as she turned back and her face was in the dirt, tail tucked, back end dragging, etc.. i thought no doubt that deer was dead. My arrow cracked off about 4 inches before my fletching started with blood all the way to it.. tracked her for 3 hours at night, then 3 the next morning.. blood eventually came to pin drops and i grid searched. Nothing... got her on trail camera a week later with a hole right in the middle of the front shoulder. It still blows my mind how tough those animals are, i would have bet a lot that deer would have been dead. If you continue to grid search, i wish you the best of luck, and hope you find it!! 

Post Your Comment
11/6/18 @ 8:57 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03

If you only got enough penetration to get one lung, they can live for quite some time.  Like days, weeks, etc.  In rare instances they can survive.  But up there, I doubt he’d make it through the winter.  I wish you the best of luck finding him.  I know how hard you work at this game.  Good luck.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 341 Posts