Lakewood, Townsend, Mountain areas

10/6/11 @ 11:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Mt Dew
Mt Dew
USER since 6/23/01
How has the deer activity been in the Townsend, Lakewood, & Mountain areas?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 323 Posts
11/17/17 @ 2:47 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07

Good luck to you and your son Walleye Warrior!! Hopefully he sees a whole herd of deer down there and gets hooked for life!! Tricky part will be trying to get him to sit the Nicolet after seeing tons of deer in Waupaca haha.

Post Your Comment
11/17/17 @ 2:37 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07

Howdy fellas,

I'm still here! Haha just haven't posted anything for a bit.  Haven't had too much time to get in the woods lately with my little guy now.  Did get out to sit a couple times and on one sit I saw 9 does which is the most I've seen during one bow sit in many years.  Lots and lots of big bucks on camera this year so hopefully this gun season yields at least one big rack for the family.  Good luck to everyone else in the area this weekend.  Hunt safe and may your aim be true!

Post Your Comment
11/14/17 @ 9:08 AM
novembermadman42
novembermadman42
USER since 11/30/16

Got my buck opening weekend

Post Your Comment
11/13/17 @ 9:39 PM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
USER since 8/23/01

This thread sure has been quiet this year!  Scoutking....you out there???  LOL.  Anyway...I have been up a few times this fall.  Havent been bow hunting too much.  Life is taking me away from the Northwoods for the opener.  First time ever I havent hunted up here.  Will be different, but a new opportunity to hunt Waupaca will be a good change.  Heading out with my 9 year old son opening day.  Should be good stuff.  Planning on heading up after the first weekend.  Here's some pics from the woods last weekend.  Good luck and keep the thread movin..... -WW

Edited on 11/13/17 9:41 PM
Post Your Comment
11/7/17 @ 9:50 AM
FullDraw05
FullDraw05
USER since 10/10/17

Anyone been up and around the public near Old 64, Peshtigo Brook Fire rd, Butler Rock rd etc... was up about a month ago and saw a few scrapes, haven't been able to get back since. Hoping to get up there Sunday for one last scouting push before the Gun season. 

Thanks!

Post Your Comment
10/31/17 @ 2:31 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
USER since 5/31/02

Hunted this general area Monday 10.23.17 through Friday 10.27.17. I have a place in Crooked Lake and have been hunting and fishing up there (with my Dad and Grandpa) since 1965.

Monday: One lone doe, one unknown (out of range).

Tuesday: Doe with twin fawns, giant black bear.

Wednesday: One turkey. Flushed a couple of deer (unknown) tromping around with the shotgun.

Thursday: One forkhorn racing through the woods, jumped the Forest Service road 10 yards ahead of me (no shot taken). Four turkey.

Friday: Five doe.

I did not hunt "hard", I hunted "recreationally", simply buying my Archery tag as an excuse to go sit in the woods a couple days. I saw no rubs and no scrapes, no chasing. Pretty golldarn quiet week in the Nicolet.

Does anybody who hunts up there have room to give an old fart (me) a ride back to Milwaukee from Crooked Lake? I'm in the process of moving up there, have several collector cars and trucks that I need to relocate. Will pay cash for a ride, and share my VAST knowledge of hunting the Nicolet (eyeballs rolling).

Shoot me a PM.

RR

Post Your Comment
10/26/17 @ 10:45 PM
GET ESOX
GET ESOX
USER since 5/30/12

Well usually I would be hunting hard this week but we had our third child in August, a little girl, so decided to give momma a break this year and not hunt.  I’ll still be up this fall but chasing muskies. I’ll make sure to follow you guys this fall and looking forward to some pics!  I have quite a few nice bucks on camera this year,  deer numbers seem to be up.

Driving up tonight saw a nice 1 1/2 yr old 8pt chasing a doe all over the road by Archibald lake.  Could be a good week to hit the woods.  Good luck guys and hunt safe!

Post Your Comment
10/26/17 @ 5:12 PM
Bugeye1
Bugeye1
USER since 9/25/14

Any signs of things heating up? 

Post Your Comment
10/22/17 @ 9:05 PM
Jon49k
Jon49k
USER since 1/8/03

Have hunted public in Townsend religiously for the past 17 years. The past two falls I was laid off so I hunted 45+ days each past two seasons, beginning of Oct thru Gun hunting. This year has been considerably slower than the past two. The bad: The number of mature deer especially doe's are down in the area's I hunt. Not seeing any mature bucks on the cams yet. Actually not even 1. It has been way to warm out. I was hoping with no baiting in oconto this year that the deer would be less nocturnal and browse more but not the case they have been just as nocturnal due to bear hunting and warm temps. I have 6 cams out. Seen 6 or 7 different little bucks (comparable to any other year no more no less). The good. Haven't seen a yote, bear, or wolf in person or on camera yet this fall. I've had scrapes around my normal hunting area's for over 2 weeks now. A few more rubs starting to appear. But dont be afraid the rut has not even begun to start here yet, but will with cooler temps arriving. The doe's are still with fawns and I believe will be for a period of time yet due to the small size 40lbs max of many of the fawns. The little bucks are still running around in bachlor groups as of 3 days ago. From what I can tell most if not all the scrapes are from the little bucks atm. Also 95% doe's that are around have 2 fawns, a few even have triplets. Overall deer numbers are the same as the past couple of seasons. More new borns this year, less mature bucks, and definitely less mature doe''s compared to the past two years. All in all its still Oconto co, your going to have to work for any 3.5+ year old buck, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I'll report when I start seeing chasing going on usually by me is last few days in Oct until first whole week of November. If anything might be pushed back a few days due to it being 70+ degrees the past 5 days. Good luck post some cam pics or kill pics would like to see someone else have some success

Post Your Comment
10/16/17 @ 9:46 AM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
USER since 8/23/01

Hey Guys,

The grouse numbers have been in the tank for a number of years.  Last year and this year I didnt even bother to buy a license.  Deer numbers are definitely trending up.  Still nowhere near normal yet, but a marked improvement from just a few years back.  Looking forward to the gun opener as usual. 

Have fun up there.  Be back for the weekend before Halloween. 

-WW

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 323 Posts