Lakewood, Townsend, Mountain areas

10/6/11 @ 12:29 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Mt Dew
Mt Dew
USER since 6/23/01
How has the deer activity been in the Townsend, Lakewood, & Mountain areas?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 305 Posts
12/21/16 @ 4:22 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07

Anyone hunting this area over the holidays?  I will be headed up early next week for a few days and might take the bow out a time or two.

Post Your Comment
12/5/16 @ 2:17 PM
ckemp
ckemp
USER since 3/31/08

Bow and gun hunt just west of Townsend in the Nicolet Nat. Forest.  This year I have seen more does and fawns then before in at least 10 years.  I only saw one small buck during bow.  (Neighbor reported seeing two during gun chasing doe, but never had a shot)  I had one of the few doe tags available for the the area and did harvest a nice mature doe, at least 4yrs old, if not older.

I didn't see much for other hunters all season, only a couple getting to into there trucks opening day at dusk.

Post Your Comment
12/5/16 @ 10:44 AM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07

Glad you saw some deer movement Esox.  The snow certainly had the deer moving and yesterday was a gorgeous day to hunt.  I didn't make it up to Townsend this weekend but hunted near the town of Beaver and saw 5 yesterday morning.  Had a beautiful dark racked 9 point follow two does through a thicket of pines and blowdowns and even though I tried as hard as I could to get a shot, it just didn't work out and he made it through without any smoke.  Hopefully I'll catch up with him with the bow.

Post Your Comment
12/5/16 @ 9:37 AM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
USER since 8/23/01

thanks for the updates esox.  Im thinking of coming up to hunt Wednesday with the smokepole.  Depends on the weather.  If not I'll be up for the weekend. 

Post Your Comment
12/5/16 @ 9:29 AM
GET ESOX
GET ESOX
USER since 5/30/12

Just got home late last night after being up since Tuesday for muzzleloader.  I shot my buck the first afternoon so I set my friend up on a ridge between two swamps.  Very few deer around that stand, he saw one doe all week.  It was a new area I never hunted but promising for bow next year.  I was surprised at the number of deer tracks crossing the logging roads yesterday afternoon with the fresh snow.  I took a drive while he was hunting. Plenty of deer in that area, just not by the stand.  Must not have been much hunting pressure during rifle season based on how early the deer were moving.  Saw quite a few deer while driving my friend in and out of his stands. Of course there was a nice 8 point on the road driving out from the cabin at 7 last night.  We saw one other truck parked Saturday morning, no hunter activity in the woods all week.     Got about 4 inches of snow yesterday.  Everyone have a good holiday season and hunt safe!

Post Your Comment
12/2/16 @ 10:14 AM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
USER since 5/31/02

You guys are driving me nuts with all your pictures of nice bucks taken in the Lakewood / Townsend / Mountain area.

Maybe I ought to just leave the rifle in the closet and get my bow out of mothballs and do more bowhunting. I hunted Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday of gun season and saw a grand total of five deer; doe with fawn, doe with fawn, and unknown (out of range). I haven't seen a nice buck like these in the past ten years.

One thing for certain, the baiting ban and buck-only (for the most part) sure knocks down the number of hunters in the field. I didn't see anybody most days, and had only the usual dawn-and-dusk shooting anywhere around me.

I've still got my antlerless permit for southern Oconto County (south of Hwy 64) but I hate hunting down there. Still have a few pounds of venny from the fat doe I shot out of there last year, however.

Really have to wonder where all the deer are on the public land east of you guys. Thursday, after the snow, I wandered around for probably 8-10 miles and saw a total of three fresh deer tracks.

Just super-frustrating.

RR

Post Your Comment
12/1/16 @ 11:55 AM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07

Congrats again Esox and great job November on a dandy bow buck.  This year was a strange year for my family and I.  There was certainly a long slow rut that never really seemed to peak but just kept dragging on.  The big bucks seemed to be visible on trail cam early in October but got sparse later in the season.  My father connected on a decent 2 yr old 8 point not long after he passed a 6 from the same stand.  I passed 3 different 6 points in 3 different areas and saw one nice 2 yr old 8 as I was hanging my stand one morning.  He milled around me for a while but my bow was 20 feet below me and I'm kind of glad I didn't have it.  Almost all of the big boys that we had on camera seemed to make it through so there will be some great sheds to get after this spring.  I'll be doing some muzzleloader hunting this weekend and late bow for sure but not sure how much I'll get to go in the Townsend area.  Most of it will be closer to home around the Peshtigo area.  Good luck to tall the other late season hunters.

Edited on 12/1/16 11:56 AM
Post Your Comment
11/30/16 @ 10:38 PM
stool bus
stool bus
USER since 4/30/14

congrats to the people that got deer. my neighbor saw 1 doe. a different relative about 2 miles away saw none in their group of 5. lets hope people stop coming up for a few years. the herd will improve. laqkewood hunting will eventually get better again. good luck to the muzzle and bow hunters. ps,  i applied for my sons bear harvest tag for next year. 8 pts.

Post Your Comment
11/30/16 @ 5:47 PM
GET ESOX
GET ESOX
USER since 5/30/12

Thanks Walleye!  Bow buck was chasing a doe and came in to some estrus I put out. The stand I was in is on an oak/pine ridge bordered by thick cover from logging years ago.  The buck yesterday was just walking the edge and grazing.  Should be more daytime movement next year with no baiting for the whole season.

Post Your Comment
11/30/16 @ 2:20 PM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
USER since 8/23/01
esox....looks like your freezer is full!  Great year for you up there.  Congrats!  Whats your strategy this year with no baiting?   

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 305 Posts