Juneau county reports

10/27/12 @ 8:06 AM
ORIGINAL POST
duckman05
duckman05
USER since 1/6/11
Haven't seen any on Juneau yet, figured I would chime in. I hunt southern juneau, sat last night have 12 doe it a cut corn field....Not bucks to be seen. Have noticed a few scrapes. Also noticed there are not many dead deer on the roads around here yet, compared to Monore and Jackson co. Think the best is to come this week and next. Happy hunting.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 374 Posts
11/13/18 @ 7:17 PM
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

Fishgod- I saw that buck in your truck at the bar Saturday and all I can say is wow! Awesome deer and 2 big ones in 2 years up there is a huge accomplishment! In all my years I know a handful of people that string together 2 good bucks in a row up there and I know nobody that has done it 3 times so “ no pressure” but that would be a heck of a accomplishment if you’re fiancé gets another! Awesome stories all around and I just wanna wish all the Juneau County hunters a safe and enjoyable season! Should be a good year with the late rut and early start this year! Happy hunting guys and gals!

Post Your Comment
11/13/18 @ 9:35 AM
bueller
bueller
USER since 1/4/03

On my first sit (Oct. 20th) I took a shot at a big one. I hit him but never found him. Even had a dog come out for the search. Got a couple pictures since then of what I think may be him with a wound high and back. Going to work hard for him during the gun season.

Cameras show big bucks were on their feet late afternoon on Oct. 29th for whatever reason. Rutting activity turned on Nov. 7th/8th and was still going strong as of yesterday morning. First time I've really ever experienced widespread chasing, grunting, etc. while I was on stand. Had some opportunities but never let another arrow fly. Could be a good opening weekend coming up.

Post Your Comment
11/12/18 @ 10:31 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
USER since 1/11/05

Nice buck and congrats to you and the fiancé. Pretty cool. 

Post Your Comment
11/12/18 @ 8:53 PM
fishgodwi
fishgodwi
USER since 7/28/10

Northern Juneau County. Saturday morning 6:55. Well the fiance got her done exactly one yr to the day she shot her big one last yr. Same spot and everything. Got to give her a lot of credit, hunted almost all day on fri and never seen a hair. She was back out Sat morning n the cold and didnt have to wait very long. He come walking n with a doe. 15yd shot and right thru the lungs and he ran about 150yds. This is only her 2nd yr bow hunting and 3rd yr overall deer hunting and this will b #2 for the wall for her with the xbow. I keep telling her that she has a horseshoe up her butt and it is not that easy...lol. This is the 3rd yr we have had this deer on camera. Always had pics of him all last yr muzzleloader and late bow hunting season during daylite. Just kept hoping all yr that he wouldnt get hit on the road or something happen to him. She seen him the 2nd Sunday of archery season but he hung up about 40yds in the thick stuff cuz he knew something wasnt right. This Sat was the only daytime sighting of him besides then. He was always on cam but always during dead of nite. 8pts, 18&1/4" inside spread, 170lbs

Edited on 11/12/18 9:38 PM
Post Your Comment
11/12/18 @ 1:03 PM
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

I wanna start by saying I think it’s great that the Juneau County thread is always active! I truly believe that if everyone had to hunt the wilds of Juneau County there would be a lot less hunters or a lot more hunters with the “deer hunting sickness” that we have! The hunting is not great but the land is very abundant and full of adventure! The hunter is almost always in the disadvantage with the endless scrub oak and jack pine branches! Let’s not even talk about hearing the deer come in because we don’t get that luxury! When you first set eyes on a deer it is usually already within shooting range and it feels as if the deer just appeared from the ground! The one time of the year where we get a slight break is when the bucks chase in early November and they might actually cruise through a shooting lane! It doesn’t happen very often for us Juneau County hunters but when it does the reward is immensely enjoyable and for that reason I think I have the sickness! As I rapped up another archery season(28 years)in Juneau County this weekend I could only think how great it is to still have such a deer hunting”sickness”. I tried the wait for the big one and pass small ones era and all I did was go without venison and the buck pool seemed the same every year! I ended this year with a four pointer (the only shot offered from a buck all year) on Saturday morning and I’m as proud of it as any other deer! Everything had to go right for this “sick” Juneau County hunter to get a little fork and I know I have as many or more hours in a tree than most! Some years are better than others but I will always hunt in Juneau County 

Post Your Comment
11/12/18 @ 10:25 AM
Wilbur29
Wilbur29
USER since 10/25/13

I have been disappointed as well by the lack of sign around here. Early fall I had many 1.5/2.5 year old bucks on camera and some does/fawns, but they "vanished". I don't know if it's due to the bottoms that I hunt having more water or what. I think for 6 or 7 sits I saw one small buck, a doe and a fawn. Saturday I came down to see what was around for tracks in the new snow and saw very few. Corn is still up around here. Things are looking bleak for rifle season.

Post Your Comment
11/12/18 @ 9:55 AM
BigHorn
BigHorn
USER since 10/24/11

I was really disappointed as well as of the 4th.  I only saw 1 little 8 ptr and I was in the woods alot.  I thought I was done bowhunting for the season, but decided to go up again this past weekend because it got cold and there was snow.  Contrary to reports that the DNR cancelled the rut this year in Juneau county, things blew up on the camera starting on the 6th.  Saturday night I had a 2.5 year old 8 chasing a doe all over.  Sunday morning there was more chasing.  I didn't get a good look but according to the camera it was a nice one.  I really wanted to stay to hunt Sunday night, but I had to head back.  New scrapes around, deer out all over in the early afternoon.  Looking forward to the gun opener.  I'm assuming they'll still be running, but of course that could change just as fast as it turned on.  I'm buying a boot dryer today.  That dang water is higher again and now it's partially frozen.  Not much fun walking across.  Good luck to all and stay safe!!  

Post Your Comment
11/12/18 @ 7:19 AM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

My 2018 bow season concluded this past Sunday with my morning sit. We have an inch or two on snow on the ground and it was pretty cold. My ponds are froze up. The ground is still soft however. I also sat Saturday morning till around 9 and again from 2pm till dark. I did not see any deer. Not a ton of tracks in snow. My neighbor has been up there all week and has seen a "few bucks but they are all small". He is hunting till Wednesday.

I had high hopes for the season as I passed or did not get a shot at a number of decent deer last year. Anticipation was high for this season but it has fallen far short of what I had hoped for. I saw 2 decent bucks all season, one I did not get a real good look at and one I probably could have taken but was looking for something a little better. Anyway, that's my recap for the season. I'll turn my sights on gun season now I guess.

Post Your Comment
11/5/18 @ 3:25 PM
fishgodwi
fishgodwi
USER since 7/28/10
So i ran into an air force guy on Sat n the bombing range n Northern Juneau County. He was telling me that this yr that they r 99% certain the gates will stay closed during gun season just like the rest of the yr. And they mite even not allow gun hunting on the whole range this yr and next yr eliminate any kind of hunting period. Deer, turkey, squirrels, etc. I couldnt believe my ears what he was all saying!!! So i encourage any one that uses this awesome pc of public land to call up the phone # by the gate and complain and tell them to not close this pc of public land! Would b a huge pc of public property we would lose....

Post Your Comment
11/5/18 @ 12:02 PM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

Vacation last week in Juneau county. I saw 6 bucks. 1 button buck, 3 lone doe and a doe with twins. Outside a small 6 who came to my downwind side with his tail straight out I saw no sign of any kind of rut. As the weather got a little cooler later in the week sighting increased. I didn't tramp all over my land but did find one scrape on my trips to stands.

It was a pretty uneventful week actually. No bobcats, no wolves howling, no real interesting deer behaviors.  Will be up again Friday after work. Things seem to kinda go into lock down by then but one never knows for sure I guess.

Good Luck! 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 374 Posts