Juneau county reports

10/27/12 @ 9:06 AM
ORIGINAL POST
duckman05
duckman05
USER since 1/6/11
Haven't seen any on Juneau yet, figured I would chime in. I hunt southern juneau, sat last night have 12 doe it a cut corn field....Not bucks to be seen. Have noticed a few scrapes. Also noticed there are not many dead deer on the roads around here yet, compared to Monore and Jackson co. Think the best is to come this week and next. Happy hunting.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 251 Posts
9/18/17 @ 6:48 AM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

Hunted for just a couple hours Saturday evening. I saw a million mosquitos and not a single deer. That was ok with me. The plots look great and deer have been using them. I've hunted in the heat many times over the years and I still don't like it. It just feels wrong.

I spent Saturday splitting wood and planting trees. Got that wrapped up about 4:30pm and was exhausted. Sunday I splet in. Got the cabin cleaned up a little and headed for home. A short stay but another good opener.  

Post Your Comment
9/18/17 @ 6:34 AM
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

Had a decent opener despite the heat! I saw a deer and turkeys while my partner had all kinds of action 3 different bucks and a doe Saturday night!! Acorns Acorns Acorns!! Best of luck to all- Casey 

Post Your Comment
9/10/17 @ 9:45 PM
badgerfowl1
badgerfowl1
USER since 10/1/12

Finally got something on camera other than spikes and forks.  Brassicas are coming along slowly. Deer already hitting them. Stands are set except one that will be a rut stand so I'm not in a hurry to get it up. Lot of activity last week when it was cooler. Back to summer this week. I saw quite a few acorns while walking around this weekend getting stands set. 

Post Your Comment
9/10/17 @ 12:32 PM
bueller
bueller
USER since 1/4/03
I have a couple nice ones showing on camera, wish I could hunt the opener next weekend. Rye is about 3" tall and still filling in more. There is some seed lying on top that has just begun to germinate. I saw some acorns on the ground this weekend but nothing to write home about. And the ones I saw were small.

Post Your Comment
9/8/17 @ 6:17 AM
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

We all feel your pain Wilber29-- Karma is real and I truly believe in that!! Haven't posted in a while but plots are in stands hung and blinds positioned!! Counting the days-- I will be up there 1 week from today getting ready for my 27th consecutive opening weekend hunt!! (2 years I have shot bucks on opening day)) Interesting news from the neighbors around the block that we have a albino( not true albino has some spots) running around the square mile! All neighbors are trying to let it grow and pass on it! Hopefully she has a tight home range!! Good luck guys- 8 days to go!

Post Your Comment
9/6/17 @ 10:39 AM
Wilbur29
Wilbur29
USER since 10/25/13

Went out yesterday to check stands, acorns, water, etc. Someone stole my Rivers Edge two man ladder stand. Just south of Necedah on private. I hate thieves. If anyone comes across one for sale with a bend in the shooting rail in the middle hit me up.

Not a lot of acorns by me, a ton of hazelnut though. Saw a few bucks earlier, starting to get excited!

Edited on 9/6/17 10:39 AM
Post Your Comment
8/29/17 @ 11:11 PM
badgerfowl1
badgerfowl1
USER since 10/1/12

I'm just glad I have some this year! Last year there was zip due to the late frost. Coons or porky stripped a few of my trees clean though. They had quite a few apples on them. Broke a bunch of branches in the process too. Darn things. 

Got one more blind to put up this weekend then should be all set. 

Post Your Comment
8/28/17 @ 9:11 PM
bueller
bueller
USER since 1/4/03

Your apples look good this year badgerfowl. 

CDAC meeting tomorrow night in Mauston. I was hoping to attend but my work schedule isn't allowing me to do so. Is anybody planning to go? This is the "3 year" meeting where population objectives get established. Boundary lines and other issues are also able to be considered at this time unlike the yearly meetings. 

Post Your Comment
8/27/17 @ 8:01 PM
badgerfowl1
badgerfowl1
USER since 10/1/12

I've got about 30 trees. Oldest about 9 years old. They set fruit every year but none ever make it to maturity. The majority of mine are 6 years old or less. So they're just starting to put a little fruit out. Last year everything was knocked out by the late frost. 

do you know what varieties of apples you planted or the rootstock they are on? Where did you get them from (if you can recall)?

We are in a frost pocket for sure being in the river bottoms. That's always my biggest problem.  

If you're still interested in planting a few I'd give Liberty, Enterprise, and Freedom a shot. They are all very disease-resistant. Semi-dwarf rootstock or even full size are probably best for deer apples as they'll grow a decent sized tree. I try to get everything on B118 rootstock or Antonovka. They'll both make a 20-25' tree.  

Also don't be afraid to try crabs. Dolgo, Centennial, Chestnut, Whitney, Kerr, Golden Hornet.  I added about 10 crabs last year and more than half had fruit this year. The varieties listed will produce 1-2.5" crabs.  Not the worthless pea sized ornamentals. 

Post some pics of yours if you get a chance sometimes. Pics always help!

Post Your Comment
8/27/17 @ 11:33 AM
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

Nice looking apple trees!! I have some great luck with food plots but apple trees have been a big thorn in the back!! We started with 10 (fenced in) trees back in the late 90's! They lasted a couple years until a huge snow year that allowed them to get eaten up by the deer! We have 1 tree from them original 10 and I noticed some apples this year which was great! We continue to plant a few here and a few there and I think we have about another 10 trees total ranging in age from 2-12 years old and never a single apple??? So the only apples we have had success with is over 20 years old. Any ideas on why it's taking us 20 years to yield a few apples would be great!  Thanks Casey 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 251 Posts