is public land in S.E. Wis really this bad?

11/7/12 @ 7:01 PM
ORIGINAL POST
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
I have been hunting public land in northern Washington co. for about 8 years. I don't hunt it exclusively though. I have yet to see a deer while hunting the state forest and other dnr lands. I must have been out 25 or 30 times, including t zone, late gun, muzzy, early and late bow. I don't know if this is an unexplainable phenomenon or does this happen to others here? I'm not kidding, I've never seen a deer while on the stand. I have seen them walking in and out, and while setting up though.
Edited on 11/15/13 7:59 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 161 Posts
11/27/14 @ 6:04 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
Very true CDS. Ya, a lot of public "sucks" !! I hear the same thing too. I don't hunt that public stuff!! Hardly see any deer. Ok, I don't see many neither, but I still see deer when I wouldn't see any, or I'd have to go 243 mi. north to Price co., drive 10 hrs and it sucks there too. Here I have at least 10 spots that "suck" but they are inside of 20 mi. I can be on a stand in 1hr and my cost is about $2.00 for gas there and back @ 38 MPG (91 Saturn) Two yrs ago, I started this thread, but instead of " I'll just give up" I decided to give'r instead. The next day, I saw 2 does. The next day I saw a nice buck. After that was gun season and didn't see anything after that. The next year I passed on a real chip shot on deer, most likely a fawn buck and then another small deer. This year I saw one deer in 6 hunts. It was a 4 point buck @ 17 yds. That was my first deer in southern WIs. Laugh if you want but it was A real turning point. I am sure I will find a lot more spots and will get more deer if I don't die or something. ( never know) . So if ya want to go lease land for $1,000 per "40" then go for it. I will tell ya one thing, you will get a lot of respect if you get a nice buck off public land ANYWHERE!! in WIs. , or any deer for that matter. Us public land boys are the blacksheep of all deer hunters but we can get the job done and never pay a dime to hunt some of the nicest land around. I will never catch up to CDS but I will get more deer on Wisc. public land. I prefere to hunt public, actually. If a spot don't pan out, I move 5 miles. If ya own your own "40" ya pay 40-100K and at least 500 bucks in taxes. Jerks for neighbors, brown is down, tresspassers, poachers the next "40 " over and you have a lot of money in a 40 that ain't worth it. Ain't worth it unless my great aunt hands me a million dollars, then I would buy some land as an option to public. Up north I have literally miles of land that is do under hunted it ain't funny. A logging road starts at the end of my road up north. I was the only hunter after 200 yds down that logging road on the second day of gun season and it's 2 mi. to the next road. Down in the Kettles ya have to find spots that don't have a car parked but I do it on week days all the time and worth it. Off subject but I wonder in amazement when I see old rock piles and stone foundations from houses in the woods. Farmers that lost that land in the depression. Sad, but we have land to hunt because of someone elses hardships. Later guys. I'll be hunting tommorow on some of the beautiful land that "sucks".

Post Your Comment
11/26/14 @ 9:27 AM
bowtech Dee
bowtech Dee
USER since 10/23/12
A lot more deer than people actually think. Come on who are you kidding.

Post Your Comment
11/26/14 @ 6:12 AM
NiteMite
NiteMite
USER since 9/16/01
cds … there are A LOT more deer than the public makes out to be. I would say the problem is LAZY Hunters, which I am very, VERY grateful for. If they weren't so, there would be little to no deer available.

Edited on 11/26/14 8:51 AM
Post Your Comment
11/25/14 @ 11:52 AM
perchthriller
perchthriller
USER since 7/14/09
I would agree that a lot of the public lands have very small doe populations. I don't think I will shoot a doe on the public where I hunt for a while. They have been pounded pretty good.

Post Your Comment
11/24/14 @ 10:54 AM
esoxtomtom
esoxtomtom
USER since 4/24/08
yes its that bad people keep shooting does and it wont get any better.

Post Your Comment
11/24/14 @ 10:48 AM
Big-Fish-R
Big-Fish-R
USER since 4/9/08
I think there are a lot of hunters that use public land. Heavy traffic through those areas can alter deer behavior.

I've heard of some really bad behavior from people on public land. As some posters have stated, there is also some terrible behavior from private land owners. I've heard of multiple landowners who will drive tractors, atv's, etc. by hunters in order to protect 'their' deer.

Unfortunately, a lot of it boils down to poor hunter ethics, whether it be private or public hunting. If you're given the privilege of having public land to hunt, then treat it and others with respect. Don't put up illegal stands, be respectful of others in the woods, and don't get greedy.

Private landowners can be just as bad. Ruining another's hunting because of selfishness is poor sportsmanship.

Finally, if you are hunting public land, consider donations for land stewardship / Cherish Wisconsin fund.

By the way, I sell hunting licenses at my job. I hear a lot of stories. A lot of them don't cast WI deer hunters in a great light.

Post Your Comment
11/7/14 @ 6:22 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
I have hunted 4 times down in the Kettle Moraine S.F . and have not seen a deer yet. I though for sure I would see one today but just where I was going ot hunt there was a guys stand and trail cam there. Yep, 20' from where I was going to sit. I asked 3 other hunters and none admitted to seeing a deer.

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 12:19 PM
jch84
jch84
USER since 8/4/08
Maybe I'm in the minority but I think with the number of resources available nowadays online, finding quality public hunting land in SE Wisconsin, and anywhere in the state for that matter, has never been easier. If you have ever spent the time to sift through county platbooks and other paper records, looking online is a walk in the park. I hunt about 40 mins from my house and almost never run into other hunters. Not too different from when I hunt up by our place in Saint Germain, except there are more deer.

Post Your Comment
10/5/14 @ 11:35 AM
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
no permit this year for loew lake. it's going to be a zoo.

Post Your Comment
10/5/14 @ 11:35 AM
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
no permit this year for loew lake. it's going to be a zoo.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 161 Posts