How do you carry your gear?

11/4/15 @ 8:42 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Pirate Gonzo
Pirate Gonzo
USER since 2/12/05
I broke down and purchased a hanging stand with climbing sticks. This is going to take the place of my backpack but now I have more to carry along with my regular gear with needing a harness and all the straps that go along with it. So how do you carry all your gear with your stand on your back?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
11/11/15 @ 11:40 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07
Here is what my typical load looks like. Pack with essential gear in it, outerwear strapped on top and I either wear the pack with shoulder straps and hip clip or throw the pack over my stand like the photos when it is warm because the stand breathes better than the pack does when on my back. I've gotten pretty good at getting the sticks and stand up quickly and quietly so that's a plus. Using 4 Lone Wolf climbing sticks with an attachment on the bottom stick adding two more steps along with a Lone Wolf Hang on. I also have a Lone Wolf Hand Climber which I love to use when up north and have lots straight branch less trees to choose from honestly I can't stand having a seat that I can't fold up against the tree. Anyway, hope it helps.

Post Your Comment
11/6/15 @ 11:14 AM
FISH-EM
FISH-EM
USER since 5/12/09
Stand on your back and backpack on your chest even out the load a little.

Post Your Comment
11/5/15 @ 2:21 PM
gonefishin1
gonefishin1
USER since 2/13/02
I use a large fanny pack that I wear on the front. I added a shoulder strap to help support the weight. It has 2 side pouches for bottles. 3 zipped compartments to carry quite a bit. Here's what I usually have in it. Range finder, grunt call, rattle bag, bow release, climbing harness, face mask, gloves, head lamp, pruning shears, knife, bottle of water, urination bottle, food bar, tissue, plus a few other small items. You hardly feel the weight plus it doesn't interfere with whatever you have on your back. I also carry a small mesh duck decoy bag that has my coat and seat cushion for my stand. That is light enough to carry in one hand or strap over one shoulder even with a stand or decoy on my back. And then of course I use the other hand to carry my bow. Took a long time to figure what worked for me. But it allows me to take in everything I need even for an all day hunt. Good luck finding what works for you.

Post Your Comment
11/5/15 @ 1:46 PM
perchthriller
perchthriller
USER since 7/14/09
Have used camelbaks for elk hunting, but I burned through a lot more water doing that than sitting on stand. I have used just disposable bottles before, but they are loud. I think a squirt water bottle is best and what I will be using this year.

Post Your Comment
11/5/15 @ 1:35 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15
I typically use a donkey. Then unload the donkey. Put a set of antlers on said donkey and wa-la. You have yourself a decoy. Tie decoy to tree.

Post Your Comment
11/5/15 @ 1:20 PM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
Not exactly considered gear, but how much water do you guys normally take in with you and how do you bring it in? Bottles? Camel packs?

Post Your Comment
11/5/15 @ 11:55 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I always head back to my truck if I shoot a deer to get rid of my stand and bow, so I only pack along what I need to shoot a deer. Bow rope, release, face mask, range finder, head lamp. All of it fits in my pockets. If I have a grunt tube along its around my neck, tucked into my shirt.

Post Your Comment
11/5/15 @ 11:14 AM
perchthriller
perchthriller
USER since 7/14/09
I hunt with a LW hang on with sticks and throw the backpack on top of the stand. Kind of awkward to carry, but have done it to spots that required a 2 mile hike in. It's not desirable, but it works.

Considering though condensing my stuff and getting a fanny pack. Hate carrying more out there than you need.

Post Your Comment
11/5/15 @ 10:54 AM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07
I hunt with a lone wolf hang on and 4 climbing sticks. I bought the stick quiver and really like it because it allows the sticks to lay out flat across the width of the stand so I can strap my fanny pack(which has shoulder straps I put over the top of the stand) around the sticks and stand. My pack has two buckle straps which I attach my clothes to for the walk in. Its a bit heavy but I can up 22 ft in just about any tree I want and be hunt ready in less than 10 minutes. Its a pretty decent set up and if you use a stand with climbing sticks I recommend looking up "diysportsmen" on youtube because he has some pretty insightful videos on how to set up your stand efficiently.

Post Your Comment
11/5/15 @ 7:30 AM
snipe n
snipe n
USER since 9/10/07
I carry in a climber. Gear in a big fanny pack.(is the best option) Or Back pack.(gets you hot) What gives me trouble is how to walk without over heating to where I hunt. I pin or tie on my clothes to the stand, for the walk in to stay dry and scent free or as best I can.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts