How are private/public boundaries marked

10/13/15 @ 11:50 AM
ORIGINAL POST
ckemp
ckemp
USER since 3/31/08
I just started hunting some public land that butts right up to private land. I know the corners are marked with yellow signs, but how are the boundaries lines marked? blue paint on trees? signs placed so far apart? I didn't walk it all during the summer, as I just learned of the property a month ago and only went and sat on it once in the evening.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
10/14/15 @ 1:30 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
If you find a line of blue painted trees it is likely that the woods was marked for timber harvest. The blue signifies the border of a marked cut. It does not necessarily mark the property line as often timber cuts are for a specific area of timber rather than property line to property line.

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 6:45 AM
northernexsposure
northernexsposure
USER since 3/15/08
I hunt public land that borders private. As my own personal rule I try to stay at least 100 yds from the border, that is the very minimum. Years back I shot a deer and it ran on the private land. I called the land owner and he was a great guy who let me go and get it. Even offered to come help but he was older and I just went myself. Once I got in the woods I was confronted by 3 guys and they were PO'ed. They were swearing at me, telling me to get off their land, it was pretty uncomfortable. I just said the guy who's name is on the deed to this land let me come on and I got my deer and got out of there. Turns out it was the owners kids friends yelling at me and it was THEIR land. Point of the story is you don't want to hunt close to the property line anyway. A lot of land owners might not let you go on and recover your deer.

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 6:26 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
My land borders public land. I have signs up about ten for the sixe which is 440 yards. They are still not the easiest to see at times. We are are not required to post anything but choose too. The DNR marked the corners when they bought and surveyed with steel posts and some small signs about the signs about 1 x 2 foot. They also put one square in the middle of the 440 yard border. Signs say private property ahead when coming from the DNR And public property ahead when coming from mine. In some places all of this would be helpful but my area is thick so very few people see any of those signs.

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 6:22 AM
ckemp
ckemp
USER since 3/31/08
It is an irregular shaped piece of public land, thus trying to figure out how or if the border is marked. I don't want to trespass and I don't trust google (as stated earlier). The time I did sit on the parcel I did notice blue marks on trees that ran parallel to the private property and was in line with the dnr sign posted on the corner of the property, but am not sure that is an official boundary line or not. I will just have to get out and put the boots to the ground and walk it and see what is marked and not marked.

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 7:07 PM
gobbler
gobbler
MEMBER since 6/30/01
I think if state land borders private it has to be marked unless the private land is agriculture then it doesnt

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 5:30 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
I own land bordering public. There are no makings on the public land other than at the one parking lot. Placing signs on the private borders does little good as most just ignore them and plead ingnorance when confronted. To compound this problem last year Google Maps showed my property as part of the public. This was done as a highlighted color on a map. Myself and some ajoining property owners had to boot out the trespassers. It took me three months of messages to Google to correct the error. My property as well as some nearby was mismarked. Once corrected it was soon marked incorrectly again. Took a several more messages to get it corrected again. This does suck to go out to my stand opening morning and run into strangers. This hunting season they will be met with a trespassing citation.

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 4:35 PM
springerscrazy
springerscrazy
USER since 2/12/10
Whitetail would be correct had to look it up to be sure but when the law was revised in 1996 to where you did not have to post the exception is if you have property bordering public you still have to post your property.

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 1:52 PM
brews4995
brews4995
USER since 4/2/10
There is no law that requires private land to be posted. It is the individuals responsibility to know where they are at all times.

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 1:22 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
Whitetail, please show us where it says that?

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 1:08 PM
whitetail1474
whitetail1474
USER since 10/16/05
Actually, this is only exception to Wisconsin trespassing law. Private lands adjacent to public, must be posted as private, or the individual cannot receive a trespassing ticket.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts