Hog Hunting anyone?

3/24/14 @ 7:33 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Taylor10484
Taylor10484
USER since 1/13/11
So, who is headed down south for some good old bacon and port chops? Found a place in Texas going to give it a shot. Headed down for the first weekend in May. I will make sure I post some pics of the porkers we shoot.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
7/11/14 @ 9:48 AM
lovestofishnhunt
lovestofishnhunt
USER since 6/13/06
cajuncheese,

I knew the hunt was going to be miserable right off the bat when we walked into the pen and three sick boars were within 3 feet from us. They never moved as we walked right past. We wanted to hunt with archery tackle and the "guide" (I use that term very loosely) let us sit in stands for 30 min by ourselves. After the 30 min of peace and solitude, he comes back and asks if we had enough yet (of tree stand hunting). The last straw was when we told him we didn't want to hunt over bait and what does he do, sticks me in a blind over a feeder. We left the next day. The guide asked me if I wanted to go out and hunt that morning and was shocked when I told him this wasn't my idea of hunting. Live and learn I guess. By the way, the guide was the local Domino's Pizza owner who "guided" on the side. Guess what we had for dinner the first night??? You guessed it dominos pizza.

Post Your Comment
7/11/14 @ 8:35 AM
cajuncheese
cajuncheese
USER since 6/13/09
lovestofishandhunt- SO TRUE!! Any high fenced hunt in Midwest is a joke. You might as well buy some tame pigs and shoot them. Thats what is. Southern hog hunting or at least where I hunt is challenging and a blast. These are 100 percent wild hogs and you have to play the winds, stalk, and actually hunt them. No different than hunting fenced in whitetails and wild whitetails.. crazy difference. Cant wait til fall to go out chasing these wild pigs. Would love to hear some good stories hunting them. Good luck.

```Cajun`````

Post Your Comment
7/10/14 @ 10:27 AM
lovestofishnhunt
lovestofishnhunt
USER since 6/13/06
A few years ago, my dad and I went up to Michigan to hunt these Russian Boars. I am a teacher so I don't have an opportunity to spend a week out west during the fall because I am back to work. Anyways, we went on my spring break for an extended weekend. Granted, this was a high fence hunt which by the way I will never do again. The guides were terrible, the meat was even worse, and there was no challenge to the hunt at all. I sure hope hunting wild pigs down south is more fun than going up to Michigan in the winter because I would never do that hunt or recommend it to anyone.

Post Your Comment
7/8/14 @ 8:22 PM
cajuncheese
cajuncheese
USER since 6/13/09
We shot a huge porker a few years back in Lousiana that was still pretty good. Marinated his tenderloins and of course washed it down with some local Abita beer and oysters!!

Post Your Comment
6/12/14 @ 7:29 PM
Taylor10484
Taylor10484
USER since 1/13/11
Well the brown one spot and stalk the rest out of a stand. I only shot the one at night the rest were during the day the one hanging one was 125 lbs the brown one was about 115 and the one on the ground was about 100 all good meet hogs. Next time I go I am going after a 200 lbs plus seen one around 250 but was told not to shoot it cause they taste like crap. Since I got these under my belt will go after a bigger one.

Post Your Comment
6/10/14 @ 11:58 PM
cajuncheese
cajuncheese
USER since 6/13/09
Nice work Taylor.. Did you spot and stalk these or from stand? At night? Just curious.. Love hunting those porkers.. Blush

Post Your Comment
5/11/14 @ 8:31 AM
Taylor10484
Taylor10484
USER since 1/13/11
Here are some pics of what i shot.

Post Your Comment
5/5/14 @ 7:34 PM
Taylor10484
Taylor10484
USER since 1/13/11
Just made it back from Texas from the hog hunt. Two days of hunting shot 3 pigs all 100 to 125 lbs. It was a great time I had to switch ranches so I went with Brushy Hill Ranch. If you are looking for a Place to Hog hunt I would give this place a thumbs up. Saw about 100 hogs while I was out there along with tons of deer and turkeys.

Post Your Comment
4/15/14 @ 7:04 AM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
USER since 8/11/10
cajuncheese, That could explain it mine went about 400-450 lbs. But of course I was looking for a big one for the wall.

Post Your Comment
4/14/14 @ 4:41 PM
cajuncheese
cajuncheese
USER since 6/13/09
I've been down hunting hogs with bow in South Louisiana last 7 years. Hunted all sorts of animals with bow but wild pig is by far my favorite.. Spot and stalk awesome adrenaline rush.. Best ones to eat are young pigs 50 lbs or less or sows. Boars make an awesome head mount but are not good to eat. Young ones like 20 lbs are awesome! Shot 15 this year. Weather heating up now but can't wait to chase them in the fall. Anyone interested to come down message me. Got awesome cabin in the bayou down here. Like hour from New Orleans. Cajun...

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts