GoPro Hero3: Silver or Black edition?

5/1/13 @ 2:15 PM
ORIGINAL POST
prusta81
prusta81
USER since 1/19/09
Hey guys – I am looking to get into self-videoing my bow hunts this season, however I don’t want to get super technical with this, I just want to capture the action with little to no interruption of my hunt. I don’t know about you guys but when it comes to crunch time and placing a lethal shot on a deer I need all my attention focused on the situation at hand, I don’t need any additional distractions that come along with trying to get the camera pointed in the correct direction with the appropriate zoom. With that being said, from the research I have done the GoPro Hero3 worn on my forehead like a head lamp seems to be my best bet. I am wondering if anyone has experience bow hunting with the Silver and/or Black edition that they could share. Specifically, would you recommend one edition over the other? Keep in mind I have an iPhone so I will be able to use my phone as a remote via WiFi so the remote that comes with the Black edition isn’t of much value to me. The main reason I am even considering the Black edition is because it is the best out of the three editions in low light situations, which as we all know is when a good portion of the action happens when bow hunting. However, I am not sure how much better the Black edition is versus the Silver in low light. Anyways, any insight regarding the Silver vs. Black edition, as well as general thoughts regarding the Hero3 or self-videoing bow hunts would be greatly appreciated. Best regards, Adam C.P.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
1/30/14 @ 9:41 AM
hunt-fish-eat
hunt-fish-eat
USER since 12/31/09
I have the black edition. I have only used it for ice fishing so far but it takes amazing video at the hole. You say you wouldn't use the wireless remote but I bet you would. I can't wait to try it hunting. But I strap the wireless remote to my arm so I don't have to deal with a phone and dropping it or anything. One click on your arm and it's recording. No phone screen that lights up or reflects the sun off your phone. The remote is matte black so there is no reflection. You can also get a camo case for added seclusion.

Post Your Comment
5/2/13 @ 6:52 PM
lookn' 4 PnY
lookn' 4 PnY
USER since 7/15/05
I use a head mount and like it. I always have my head pointed toward the deer and will continue to watch the deer run away after the shot, filming the whole time. Are you prepared to point your stab mounted gopro at the deer as it walks in. Will you remember to keep your bow pointed at the deer as it runs away? Just a couple things to think about. They are great for capturing the hunt as it happens, no zooming or other tricks. I wore my hero2 on an Elk hunt and they take great footage. I have to agree with Meat that if you are target shooting they shed a whole new light on your follow through and how much your bow jumps. They are pretty cool either way

Post Your Comment
5/2/13 @ 2:21 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
I used a Go Pro HD Hero 2 last year to film my hunts. I wear the headband and its comfortable and I never spooked anything because of it. I got some quality close-ups of some deer and the video is a high quality. The Go Pro does has one drastic downfall though. Due to the wide angle lense anything over 25-30 yards and you can't see much. I had a really nice 130 class 10 point about 35 yards from my stand and you can see the deer good, but you can hardly make out the horns. Seeing your arrow any farther then 20 yards is going to be virtually impossible.

Post Your Comment
5/2/13 @ 10:03 AM
mta05
mta05
USER since 4/8/08
I have been messing around with Go pros for a while now and in my opinion the black is your best option. None of them are that great in low light since you cant adjust shutter speed and that stuff but i have found that the black is substantially better than the rest. It also has faster frames per second when shooting 1080p. Will help see the arrow better in the video. However it is pretty tuff to see the shot out past 25yards because of the fish eye lens and no zoom.

Also if i were you i would mount it directly on the bow wearing it on your head can get kind of clumsy and can get in the way. The link is to a company that makes mounting products for the go pro and they work pretty well. I have the bow and the shot gun mount and i love them.

http://www.captureyourhunt.com

Post Your Comment
5/1/13 @ 7:15 PM
Meat Pole
Meat Pole
USER since 8/30/10
I would mount it to the bow before my head, I know a kid who ran one on his 33" front bar and shot a bunch of spots, couldnt see arrows hit the Xs but the camera didnt jump much after the shot. I do thikn its better on the bow.

Post Your Comment