ever switch from muzzy

10/15/15 @ 10:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
crossbow davio
crossbow davio
USER since 2/22/05
if so what did you switch to? why did you switch? and were you happy with the switch? i shoot an old pse predator set at 45 lbs and 28" draw give me your thoughts
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
11/13/15 @ 11:29 PM
Fish Sandwich
Fish Sandwich
USER since 8/30/10
I shot Muzzy 100's out of my Bow for years and loved them. One thing I will say is that they did not fly close to my field points. I always had to practice with my broadheads. I loved them though, and watched many of my bucks fall over. They are tough, and a great value. I recently switched to a crossbow and did not like planing effect at different yardages so I went to the Rage 2 blade. I shot my first buck this year with a crossbow, and also a rage. Although the wounds looked interesting, I have to admit that the results were the same. With a pass-through heart/lung shot, the deer bled the same and went the same distance as if I just put a 3-blade Muzzy through him with my vertical bow.

Post Your Comment
11/13/15 @ 9:53 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
I started using 3 blade muzzys the first year they came out and they worked great, I then got into the expandable Rocket thing for a couple years and switched back. Not sure if I'll change to a different head again, the 3 blade Muzzy shoot good and with a shot through the lungs the deer dies nice and fast just like it would with any other broadhead. I've shot a two deer in the last couple years with 2 blade Rage Hypodermics and they didn't die or bleed anymore than if hit in the same spot with a Muzzy.

To increase your penetration without increasing your draw weight get a new bow with the same draw weight. A modern bow set at 45lbs. will be like a bow of your age set at 65 or 70lbs. A heavier arrow out of your bow will do so very, very little to increase penetration.

Post Your Comment
11/13/15 @ 12:17 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
If any one that has switched from Rage to Muzzy and would like to trade I think I have at least 6 Muzzy's we could trade. I can double check when I get home exactly how many I have.

Muzzy's just didn't shoot great out of my bow, never even shot one at a deer. When I was newer to bow hunting I liked to experiment with different things so i hot away from Muzzy.

Post Your Comment
11/13/15 @ 11:35 AM
icefitchin
icefitchin
USER since 12/13/03
I switched TO Muzzy this year. I was on the whole Rage kick for a bit when I bought my new bow. Ended up buying a pack of 100 grain Trocar's this year. Still haven't got to use one this year... hoping soon!

Post Your Comment
11/12/15 @ 11:15 AM
Otter Box
Otter Box
USER since 12/10/14
Yep, it was the first chisel point head I ever used and it was garbage. Went back to a cut on contact head. Grew up using the cheap Fred Bear heads without any problem, them moved into the new age and they are awful. Went back to the Bear heads 10 years ago and have had no issues.

Post Your Comment
11/10/15 @ 1:05 PM
thechief
thechief
USER since 5/2/05
nope

Post Your Comment
11/10/15 @ 10:04 AM
Tie1on
Tie1on
USER since 1/29/15
I switched from Muzzys this year. Value wise, I think they are hard to beat. I like the fact you can get 6-packs, for $40. For 8 years I shot 85gr Muzzys. I couple years ago I switched to 100gr Muzzys so I could share broadheads with my dad who shoots a crossbow. I also upgraded from my old Pearson bow at that time. Instantly saw problems, I noticed the same as others have said, you'd only get a couple outta a pack that would really spin/shoot really good. Granted, at 20 yards, being off 1.5" isn't that big of a deal...but it wasn't good enough for me. I fought and fought to try and get my dads crossbow dialed in for 40 yards with those Muzzys. 1 shot at 40 would be perfect, next shot at 40 would be off 18"! Take the same 2 arrows "Ok BOLTS for all the haters) Swap heads, and get the same results! I'm sure that was the same inconsistency I was seeing with my bow at 20yds! I would file down the chisel point on all 3 sides of the screw on cap and that seemed to help. All in all, I just ended-up switching to G5 Montec 100gr. fly great, easy to sharpen (almost think you can get them sharper than factory, with 160grit sand paper, in a circular motion), and seem very sturdy. The reason that ultimately made me switch, was seeing the Muzzy 100gr bend on a rib shot outta a crossbow. Broadhead hit a rib, bent and bolt ended-up exiting threw the butt! Wicked inside, wicked blood trail, and deer didn't go far before dropping, but seeing that broadhead....that aluminum CAN'T hold up to the higher FPS crossbows or bows. OMP

Post Your Comment
11/9/15 @ 2:11 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Use a heavier arrow. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
11/9/15 @ 1:51 PM
crossbow davio
crossbow davio
USER since 2/22/05
I have another question. how can I maximize penetration without increasing draw weight

Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 1:07 PM
Chokeonthis29
Chokeonthis29
USER since 9/30/14
Myself and all of my children shoot muzzy. Two reasons, they work great, are durable, and they are reasonably priced. Menards has them on clearance for 12/3pk. they did anyway, til I bought them out. We have yet to lose a deer, knock on wood, and have never had to adjust sights after switching from practice tips to blades. we all shoot blades weekly during the season before heading out. We don't have top notch bows and maybe that's why. idk...just cant fathom paying forty+ for 3 heads when I can pay under 30 any day of the year for 6. I guess it doesn't matter to the guy that shoots one deer every 3 years. When you pile a dozen up between you and the kids every year, that would get expensive. We also shoot allen arrows from the walmart. those were on sale last week also. 2.50/ea. I have less into my complete set up than most guys have in arrows alone. absolutely nothing wrong with budget equipment as long as its lethal

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts