Did you know that during the Holiday Hunt...

9/29/14 @ 11:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
14ftdown
14ftdown
USER since 3/3/04
Because people would be too tempted to shoot a buck with the rifle and put bow tag on it.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
9/29/14 @ 2:50 PM
thechief
thechief
USER since 5/2/05
eradication almost worked and then people(some)saw what was happening and backed off. I hunt (bow)in the cwd area and between 5 hunters last year we took 2 deer and not because we didn't see them.

Post Your Comment
9/29/14 @ 2:37 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
qdmaguy - yes - the bonus buck has everything to do with CWD.

The DNR wants every deer in the CWD infected area dead. Period. End of story. Think I'm being dramatic? I don't have a short memory. The first year there were special CWD regulations, there was a "Herd Eradication Zone." The changed the name, but not the plan.

Post Your Comment
9/29/14 @ 2:19 PM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
USER since 1/1/10
I usually do not comment on a lot of the hunting forums when it comes to deer numbers/regulations because i havent taken the time to attend any meetings and really research the subject to any length, but I do follow a lot of the threads on here and a couple other sites and find the discussions interesting.

Alot of the articles/threads that i have read would gives me the impression that the DNR tries to come up with ways to emlinate as many deer as possible without trying to make it obvious and a large percentage of hunters are trying to figure out how to keep the Deer heard as healthy and large as possible. Really seems like were doing the DNR's job only we are not getting paid for it.

Post Your Comment
9/29/14 @ 2:14 PM
qdmaguy
qdmaguy
USER since 6/14/10
You guys don't think the bonus buck is all about CWD? My perception from across the river is that it is designed to remove more bucks to slow the spread of CWD. Research shows bucks are twice as likely to get the disease. Also, since research also shows that bucks are much more likely to leave their home ranges that they're the most likely culprit for bringing the disease to new areas. I said for years when I lived in WI it was stupid to be hammering the does when (even back then) research showed that bucks had higher incidence rates. My last few years on my old place in the CWD zone I had many more bucks than I did does. It got to be pretty difficult to shoot an antlerless deer so I could "earn" my buck tag.

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/article.aspx?id=22838&key=kill-bucks-lower-cwd

Post Your Comment
9/29/14 @ 1:04 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
GO - I agree, the bonus buck is dumb. However, it beats the unlimited EAB the CWD zone has had for several years. I remember back during one of the first years of unlimited EAB, there was a hunter on here that harvested countless bucks - many of them trophy deer. Man were those some argumentative threads!

Post Your Comment
9/29/14 @ 12:46 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01
I am not a fan of the new bonus bucks rule. I have never heard anyone ever say that we have too many bucks and need to get rid of some. For an agency that is continually bringing new proposals up each spring for various trophy fish regulations across that state, they try to pursue every measure they can to remove quality from the deer herd.

Post Your Comment
9/29/14 @ 11:52 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
I think you could shoot a buck with the bow in the CWD management zone during the holiday hunt last year. They simply wanted every deer dead in the CWD zone, so pretty much anything goes. And he is talking about the "Holiday Hunt" not the 4-day doe only.

Edited on 9/29/14 11:55 AM
Post Your Comment
9/29/14 @ 11:37 AM
thechief
thechief
USER since 5/2/05
is it a new rule?? I thought the 4 day doe hunt was always doe. I guess they think it gives an unfair advantage??

Edited on 9/29/14 11:38 AM
Post Your Comment