Deer success rate

4/9/18 @ 11:19 PM
ORIGINAL POST
OO Buckshot
OO Buckshot
USER since 10/4/05

In light of the archery season question at this year's spring hearing I decided to break down the success rate based on licenses sold vs harvest numbers.

Numbers are for 2017-18 season

Gun deer (includes regular, youth, muzzleloader and all antlerless)

License sold 582,281

Deer killed 227,645

Kill Rate 39%

Regular Archery

License sold 152,660

Deer Killed 45,166

Kill Rate 29%

Cross bow

Licenses sold 82,660

Deer killed 47,228

Kill Rate 57%

With the current season frame work a hunter using a crossbow has a 18% higher success rate than any other form of weapon.  Almost 2x the success rate over a verticle bow.

Edited on 4/9/18 11:29 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 85 Posts
4/24/18 @ 7:29 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
Yeah Fish, it probably did.  He probably didn't use the best terms, but I agree with him on not pushing a deer that isn't hit very well.  

Post Your Comment
4/23/18 @ 2:57 PM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

He left on his own accord. Although rehashing his “the horns don’t rot” comment may have sent him over the edge. 

Post Your Comment
4/23/18 @ 1:21 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

We didn't chase him away.

Post Your Comment
4/23/18 @ 11:19 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
I don't always agree with LB, but chasing him away from this site is not a win.  He does come up with interesting points.

Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 1:42 PM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
USER since 8/31/11

Like a gut shot spiker running away from a corn pile with a half deployed rage it appears LB has lost his will to continue on.

Ba dum tss.

Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 1:12 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Whether you leave or not is your own choice, but a mistake most of us make is investing any emotional capital what so ever into this site - been there, done that.  That said....

It just isn't worth bickering with people that don't have the same views. 

...I've never bickered with people I agree with 

edit - grammar

Edited on 4/23/18 11:34 AM
Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 1:10 PM
CatfishHunter47
CatfishHunter47
USER since 1/16/07

Scab

/skab/

noun

3.  Person or individual between the ages 0-39 who is capable of hunting with a vertical bow but chooses to use crossbow during the archery season.

Why does LB's ability to hunt on private land have anything to do with this?  His beliefs regarding able bodied individuals using crossbows for their ease of use simply translates to more people in the woods.  Now translate that into public land hunting.  The public lands that are overrun during gun season are even more overrun during archery season now.  These scabs don't even have bring a stand or ground blind as they can effectively sit on the ground and fill a tag.  The same people that don't care about full parking lots during gun season are provided a  weapon choice that easily allows them to fill tags.  I have said it before, nobody under the age of 40 (unless permitted) should be aloud to hunt with a crossbow.

Regarding the gun harvest, the gun kill total might increase if we actually had some favorable deer hunting weather.  I hunted the Illinois gun opener and that consisted of extreme wind and wet weather.  Really great deer movement weather.  Because of work reasons I only hunted WI the last two days on Public Land.  I don't recall much of the week and the last two days being calm, quet, dry, driving, sitting weather.  Favorable hunting weather usually coincides with record kill harvest (when available) for any season.

So, bash away because I too have the ability hunt in other states.  I hunt public in Wisconsin due to my limiting time to hunt in IL.  Wisconsin Hunter education should teach new hunters that your hunt will on public land by other hunters.  This is a guarantee.

Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 1:02 PM
rgbowhunt
rgbowhunt
USER since 6/26/12

I agree 100% rikj. Guy claims to know EVERYTHING!!!

Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 12:46 PM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01

.Long barrel, You giving up Lake-Link is not going to make anyone sad and it will make L/L much more enjoyable

Thanks for leaving!! 

Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 11:37 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I would leave a buck lay longer if I made a questionable shot.  What's your point?  If you/ anyone says they wouldn't they are lying. 

It's always the poor public land guys and the jerk private land guys.  Food plot Vs Baiting...it's the same BS year after year.

I have nothing more to say...Officially my last post on this site. Don't throw a party. LOL.  Good luck ya'll with what ever you choose.  It just isn't worth bickering with people that don't have the same views.  I don't care about you,  you don't care about me,  is what it is.

Edited on 4/20/18 11:59 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 85 Posts