Custom arrows

2/26/14 @ 10:51 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Bowhunt 24/7
Bowhunt 24/7
USER since 10/30/13
anyone fletch and wrap there own arrows? I am getting into it soon and want some good ideas of what looks good for hunting and target shooting. As of now i'm thinking of doing orange wraps with 2 orange zebra blazers with a solid black blazer for the other. Might switch out the black for a white zebra though for hunting arrows.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
8/25/16 @ 4:42 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06

Just finished up the first of my hunting arrows for this season when my wife walks by and says, "They look nice, just like the Minnesota Gophers colors.....". Might be back to the drawing board. Will be putting 175 grain Grizzly's on the front. 

Post Your Comment
8/22/16 @ 3:55 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06

Those are some awesome looking arrows!  Good luck on your bear hunt.  

Just spray capped my hunting arrows yesterday and should get them crested this week.  What do you use for a cresting jig? 

Post Your Comment
8/22/16 @ 12:46 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

That's awesome scout,  good for you.  I hope you have success.  Anyone hunting with stick and string is admirable.  I don't,  I can't,  bad shoulder,  I tried it for 2 months last year.  it was super fun and I said I can never go back to a compound...but my shoulder and tendionitis go so bad I couldn't shoot for weeks.ll.  I envy anyone that can and does take the woods w a traditional bow.  I don't care if it's a Hoyt Gamemaster,  it's still a stick and string to me.  

Then to make your own cedar arrows,   you traditional guys are in a different league for sure.  

Post Your Comment
8/22/16 @ 12:39 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07

I drew a bear tag this year and decided I wanted to try to take one with my recurve and custom arrows.  I ordered raw cedar shafts and did the rest on my own as far as tuning, crowning, cresting, and fletching with turkey feathers.  I am pretty pleased with how they turned out and they have been shooting good too.  I highly recommend trying it if you have trad gear.

Post Your Comment
7/21/16 @ 5:55 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I refletch so many times throughout the year crests are a pain in the rear.  I don't even run them anymore,  but hunting and archery is 90% what makes you feel good.  Whether it's new clothing,  camo pattern, new bow,  special arrows etc.  If it makes you feel good or gives you confidence do it.  

I've never had an issue seeing where I hit a deer even without a lighted nock or cresting,  so as much as I shoot and refletch,  its not worth it for me.

It is a fun hobby until you've been doing it for 15 years,  then it's just work that saves you money and is convenient.  now if you are into making a cedar arrow and making your feathers,  that is a whole different level of interesting.

Post Your Comment
7/20/16 @ 5:10 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06

First attempt at cresting.  Fun little hobby.  A few tweaks to my jig and I should be set to go. 

Post Your Comment
7/20/16 @ 1:39 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06

Just acquired a 14 inch cut-off saw.  Any reason I can't use this for cutting carbon arrows?  The wheel is a lot thicker than the wheels on the smaller saws and I will take that into account when cutting.  The coarseness of the larger wheel vs small is what has me questioning this.  Don't want to splinter my arrows. 

Post Your Comment
6/19/14 @ 9:07 AM
chuckc
chuckc
USER since 3/21/14
as below, learn to make your own. It is time buying into the whole lifestyle of archery and it is fun. It is also easier than many think. I also advise using wraps. Get them in many places. They allow you to remove the whole system if damage or wear occurs and avoid scraping etc. Also, I believe that you get better adhesion too. I use trad gear and that means feathers. I tend to use 4 fletch 4" fluorescent chartreuse feathers and a fire engine red wrap. I nearly can see that in the dark. You can certainly see where you hit the animal.

I happen to like using fletch tape. . . but not alone. Fletch tape allows you to place the fletch and go on to the next one with no drying time, so I can make an arrow quickly. You might also try one of the super glue type adhesives. This means only one fletching jig is needed. I like the Bitzenberger jig as so far it is the most adjustable. They are not inexpensive though.

When I use the tape, I fletch the batch of arrows, then I add a drop of fletch tite glue to the front and back of each feather and also run a small bead along the side of part of the fletch. I never have any come loose, even after hot days, and it is quick as heck.

Making your own arrows can be fun, and as I said earlier, it is time spent buying into the whole craft. Heck, next thing you know, you'll be wanting to build your own longbow too ! ChuckC

Post Your Comment
6/18/14 @ 5:05 PM
hornhunter
hornhunter
USER since 1/11/10
Were do you guys buy your bareshaft arrows from?

Post Your Comment
5/4/14 @ 4:17 PM
bigbuck150
bigbuck150
USER since 5/4/14
I've always gotten good service for my arrow componets from www.60xcustomstrings.com I just got a bunch of blazer vanes and signature nocks from them last week. Ordered on Monday and had them Wednesday.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts