Crossbows and my Hunt

12/1/14 @ 3:32 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Well we are mostly through the first historic inclusion of crossbows in the Wisconsin Archery season. There was a great deal of concern by some individuals that others using a crossbow would ruin their fun with a vertical bow. Now that the dust has settled , was anyone adversely affected? Anyone? Mrt.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 51 Posts
1/15/15 @ 8:13 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
And that is how it is supposed to be. If you want to shoot a deer with a recurve... you can. If you want to use a compound bow... you can and if you want to use a crossbow... yup. The harvest figures didn't change all that much and more people can enjoy the archery season. Who loses? Mrt.

Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 7:18 AM
fishy
fishy
USER since 1/12/02
Your right on freeguideservice: This year at our local registration center which is also an archery shop in Hayward- 3 out of 5 archery kills were crossbow kills.Dennis sold more crossbows than verticals- he is a Matthews dealer. Most of these hunters had little or no vertical bow experience. it basically started a new season for hunters who most likely wouldn't hunt with a bow. Also I noticed hunters who would have spent $1000.00 on a new bow decided to spend it on a crossbow-so there is some crossing happening. Its not all that bad, more licenses and for someone who has shoulder problems, why not? I will stick with my bow as long as I can pull it back because I love the sport and take satisfaction with it- but thats me.Its nice to know I can use a crossbow if I had physical issues down the road. I never question anyones weapon as long as its legal and they can shoot straight with it.

Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 6:32 AM
freeguideservice
freeguideservice
USER since 12/4/13
I know more than a few guys that only gun hunt that decided to buy x-bows, and a few more that couldn't shoot a normal bow worth a crap that got back into the game because of the new law. so I guess my only negative is just more pressure in the woods and more shot and never found deer. as well as the ones that were found, so less deer for me.

I have shot many nice bucks with normal bow, but its a lot of work and time. I haven't gone as much for past 2 seasons. Once I know they are not going to change back the law I will purchase a Xbow just for the fact that its a lot easier to point and shoot. I normally am set up at 12 - 20 yard shot and its hard to stand and draw withought being spotted. So why not shoot a Xbow??

Post Your Comment
1/14/15 @ 8:36 AM
fishy
fishy
USER since 1/12/02
yes-easy to get the bow back for sure. They do have good hearing, eye site is bad for sure. But if you move to fast they have burned my hunters this could be sound or movement. We have had some large bear come to a bait and walk away without being shot- the big ones circle, and like to walk past the bait-patroling it to keep the small ones off- then eventually they come in- but sometimes its right after shooting hours. Then when the hunter comes down, they have a heads up and get tough to kill with a bow. I had a bow hunter who had this happen two years ago. It came in opening day, but was on the move the whole time and never gave a shot or stopped to feed. My hunter who frequents this site really wanted the bear- we ended up moving the bait 150 yards and he shot it with a rifle from 100 yards. That bear was a 400# but was man shy- it had two red tags in its ears- so we know it was the same one. Even though he had great scent control, and also passed a smaller bear that same night,- this bear new the gig. Even the night he sniped it with a Rifle- it walked right past the bait and was heading back into the brush. Also had a huge bear in the 500# plus two years ago that sat 50 yards tasting the air- a rifle hunter could have killed it- it simply turned around on my bow hunter and faded into the brush. That same night he passed on two smaller bear that walked right in. This bear only hit at night after that. Big bear can be tougher to get that nice bow shot on- but thats the bow challenge. But I would say most of my bow hunters are very happy with any legal bear for the first one and then they like to go for the bigger ones on round two. Its just to bad they have to wait so long.

Post Your Comment
1/14/15 @ 7:48 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I think what he's saying is that if baiting in a bear, its easy to shoot regardless of weapon. You are just saying its tougher to bait them in if they are older and smarter, but once they are there its not that hard compared to deer hunting (actual process of shooting it). I've done it a few times too, shot one that was 10.5. It laid there for me lol.

Post Your Comment
1/13/15 @ 2:16 PM
fishy
fishy
USER since 1/12/02
Not sure what sized bear you took, but trophy bear are not easy to kill with a bow or gun. But, I would agree shooting a younger bear is easier. Its like comparing a spike buck on a bait to a mature 10 pointer- two different animals. Maybe everything fell into place for your hunt, it always doesn't work that way Wink JIM

Post Your Comment
1/9/15 @ 5:33 PM
bldyarrow
bldyarrow
USER since 2/7/14
yes its slightly easier for bear hunting ,the bear is almost blind ,and then you shoot him as he puts a donut in his mouth, done the bear hunt once, wasn't even a challenge,but I needed to try it once,now if your using the crossbow for deer, then slightly easier is a understatement,just my opinion of course,do like to see the bears get shot though ,way to darn many of them Wink

Post Your Comment
1/9/15 @ 3:07 PM
fishy
fishy
USER since 1/12/02
Cross Bows are getting popular during my bear hunt over bait. In the last two years I have had 4 cross bow hunter- 4 for 4 this bear was taken this fall- double lunged at 21 yards-went about 25 yards with a complete Rage pass through. They are very effective, but the same can be said about the vertical bows and bear hunting. The only difference is its slightly easier with the cross bow because the hunters can shoot sitting down and it requires way less practice to perfect the skills. They are here to stay and I expect to see alot more bear hunters using the crossbow. 2nd picture is a vertical bow kill. 5/6 on bow hunters last year JIM Leahy

Post Your Comment
1/5/15 @ 4:54 PM
bobber b down
bobber b down
USER since 1/31/04
Thanks for the input guys!Will be heading to an archery shop to check out some bows.The fact that he's still growing (draw length) concerns me.

Post Your Comment
1/3/15 @ 11:19 AM
bldyarrow
bldyarrow
USER since 2/7/14
Get him a good compound and he will have it for life ,the new bows are so good and shoot so nice that I cant imagine how they can make them any better now days.someday I might end up shooting a crossbow to but I can guarantee I will be 70 yrs old or my left arm will be amputated!! haha .stick and string the way to get bowhunting in your blood ,just my opinion of course.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 51 Posts